Samsung forum

Alert

Samsung Panel Lottery

Hey guys,
I just purchased a brand new Samsung UN65H6350 from Amazon.com. I had looked at this set at BB, Sears and Costo. This set at BB looked fantastic!. Costco looked very good and Sears looked alright. To my horror I found out that Samsung outsources panels to three companies. Sharp, AU Optronics and Chi Mei Optoelectronics. They state all meet the minimum specs for their sets. All use different panel technology and pixel structure. The set I bought looks nothing like the sets at BB, Costco but in line with Sears. I took my trusty Samsung remote to each location and changed the settings to match my own and still the same conclusion. Checked the versions on the back sticker and behold BB display had a Samsung panel, Costco had a Sharp and Sears had my panel, a AU Optronics panel. AU Optronics and Chi Mei are from Taiwan. Called Samsung and they did not deny that outsource their panels but since the tv works that they could not help me. They did say they would pass on my concerns to the upper management team. Called Amazon to see if they could pull a TS01, TH01 or a TH02 version from their warehouse. Of course they could not. I talked to a industry expert yesterday and he told me that Samsung sends only sets with Samsung panels to raters and also all of the set displayed at CNET have Samsung panels inside of them. What does that tell you? This is my third Samsung tv and I am not happy. After researching my other sets, they had Samsung panels and both blow away my new set. I had no idea they did this. I would not have purchased this set from Amazon but would have gone to a local retailer and find one with a Samsung panel. Sending back the set to Amazon.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Panel Lottery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Panel Lottery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this on the UHD version 8550 as well?

In reply to: Samsung Panel Lottery

I spoke to Samsung and they said that they only use a US based vendor for parts, and that no panels are outsourced. Can this be isolated to this model only? I asked specifically about the 8550.

Collapse -
Samsung - AU Models vs TH Models

In reply to: Is this on the UHD version 8550 as well?

I confirmed that Samsung does indeed outsource their panels for various models. I spoke with two internet suppliers and both had the same story - The models with a AU tag have outsourced panels that may have different glass, digital boards and pixel setup. The cost difference for the 8550 model was about $500 but the quality is unknown.

Collapse -
samsung panel lottery

after reading your comment , I ordered a 65" samsung 8550 tv. I specified i only want a tso1. they called me back and said that will cost $300 more for a samsung panel. I did pay them.Is that right,does that cost more or did I get robbed.

Collapse -
Verify the panel version!

In reply to: samsung panel lottery

Who did you buy it from for 300? I'm guessing Abe's of Maine or East Coast tv? I would ask what version panel they're giving you. I read all the bait and switch reviews for them and ended up getting mine at ielectrica. They actually stated that it was Samsung panel TS01.

Collapse -
8550 Panels

I spoke with an unauthorized Samsung provider; they said all commercial models come with the cheaper panels and that they would upgrade to residential for XXX $..............best you buy from an authorized Samsung reseller and ask first which panel it has.

Collapse -
TS 01 panel

In reply to: Samsung Panel Lottery

I think they give the good panels for the first few months to get a good reputation going, then the revert to cheaper panels- when TV is in "end of life" mode (i.e. when the newer model are not too far off.) They start replacing with inferior quality panels
I bought a Samsung UN32J6300 32" 4K about month after release from Amazon. $500.
Out of the box it was a stunning picture-it had some Jitter at times, but that seemed to go away
It had a TS 01 panel
Due to an accident a year later, i was forced to buy a new one-and the PRICE HAD DROPPED $150!
Got the new one-and IMMEDIATELY my heart sank.
It looked terrible. There was much Jitter....BW looks dark grey and pale yellow. it was a UD 02;
I kew about the panel lottery, but also hoped that i had a lemon.
Sent it back to Amazon, no problem-the new one arrived-I ascertained from the box that this was also a UD 02 panel-i hooked it up-same jitter, same mediocre colors/picture and BW again was dark grey and pale yellow;
I plugged in the 'broken' tv which is basically still watchable-and saw the same lovely picture -with added H/V lines and a crack in the picture BUT not in the GLASS!
OK for watching TV/Cable, but not for Blu Rays or DVDs.
I talked to SAMSUNG about this and they pleaded insanity/stupid;
I did get the satisfaction of razzing the CDR when i said "*** IS THIS!?!?!?
The sticker on the back stated "Made in Tijuana, Mexico" ROFL!
Now i don't know what to do-i don't want to ignore the 32" since they seem to be phasing these out. I don't really want or need 40" taking over my small apt

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.