HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Samsung Operator: Prolonged 120Hz could harm TV. True?!

by bettadc / January 24, 2008 12:25 AM PST

I spoke with a Samsung customer service representative (their 800 number) who told me never to use the 120Hz motion flow feature on anything other than sports and/or fast movement programming. And even then she insisted that I only use the medium or low settings as it could damage the television if left on continuously. She said never to use the high setting. I find it odd given it was one of their selling points. She mentioned that it cautioned against it in the manual but I haven't found anything that addresses it.

If I've missed an earlier thread on this I apologize, but has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Operator: Prolonged 120Hz could harm TV. True?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Operator: Prolonged 120Hz could harm TV. True?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad customer service!
by doogaz99 / January 24, 2008 5:45 AM PST

That can be filed under the "whack customer service" category...!

The set is produced to run at 120Hz. You may notice ghosting and artifacting when you run higher settings, and some have noticed a "triple ball effect" with certain content of footballs or tennis balls, etc. but some have not had an issue whatsoever.

Collapse -
I think prolonged phone operation hurt this rep's brain
by Mr__S / January 24, 2008 6:49 AM PST

Bettadc -

I work for Samsung and I'm not sure if I should be laughing at this Rep's comments or extremely concerned that misinformation is being given to our customers. Either way, I want to thank you for sharing this information because we will be speaking with our service team and clearing up any misunderstanding.

For the record, there is NO threat of damage to the TV whatsoever. In fact, the TV runs at 120 Hz regardless of the Auto Motion Plus setting. The setting changes the amount of video processing that occurs to the signal. The High setting creates the smoothest motion. However, in some cases, when the processing is on High and the user is watching sports or fast moving video, the ?high? level of processing can create false images, or ghosts, or can cause the image to stutter. In these cases, one of the lower settings is better. We have different settings so the user can decide what type of image they prefer for different types of content but none of the settings will cause any damage to the TV.

Thanks for buying a Samsung TV.

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Thanks for 120 answers...
by bettadc / January 24, 2008 10:16 PM PST

Mr Samsung & doogaz99:

Many thanks for your replies. Really helpful. Glad you guys are out there and am relieved to hear that answer. My 4071 is fantastic and look forward to many more months of motion flow viewing...

Best,
D

Collapse -
Mr_Samsung
by schultz_11 / January 29, 2008 1:11 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.