HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Samsung monitor cuts off edges of desktop

by bommelbee / September 24, 2014 11:49 AM PDT

SAMSUNG S24D300BL monitor problems

• Monitor not displaying the recommended 1920 x 1080 resolution correctly
• Monitor not displaying Bios setup screen or Windows pre-boot logo correctly.

The left and right edge of the desktop cannot be seen at 1920 x 1080 resolution
(i.e. Some icons on the edge of the screen cannot be seen)

When a PC setting of 1680 x 1050 is used, all of the desktop can be seen. However this is not the recommended resolution and this is not what I bought the monitor for.

The Bios screen is blurred and doubled

The monitor had this problem from the beginning, out of the box.

This is not a driver issue:
========================
The correct Samsung driver is loaded and the correct settings are applied in Win-8.
Also, the same problem appears in Linux, on the same computer - again the screen resolution is set up correctly.
Bios screen: the bios screen should work before any drivers come into effect, so it is not a driver problem.
It seems that the monitor does not correctly detect the Bios output.

This is not a PC issue:
==================
When another Samsung monitor (different model) which also has recommended 1920 x 1080 resolution is used on the same PC everything works perfectly fine. So this is definitely a problem with the monitor.

This is not a Monitor setup issue (?):
============================
The monitor settings do not fix the problem. Horizontal adjustment shrinks the edges slightly but does not bring in the edges of the desktop.
The wide/Auto setting does not cure the problem either. With Auto setting there are black areas on the sides, but the desktop edges are still cut off. There are no other settings on the monitor that fix the problem.
The cable that came with the monitor was used (D-SUB) and was plugged in as shown in the manual. Also this cable was used with the other Samsung monitor without any problem.

Can someone please help ?

bommelbee has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung monitor cuts off edges of desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung monitor cuts off edges of desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by bommelbee

Collapse -
Since it's not the monitor or PC? What could it be?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2014 11:53 AM PDT

You dismissed what I check to fix such things. Since we won't be discussing the settings or the PC, I think you need to make this a warranty issue. Let the seller make it work.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
by bommelbee / September 24, 2014 3:32 PM PDT

I plugged the monitor into my work computer at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and it had no problems whatsoever.
So I am a bit baffled.
Did a power down/up of the monitor fix something ?

What I did notice, on the monitor settings there is a "PC/AV Mode", and then you can set DVI to either:
1) PC
2) AV

I will try again with my home PC and report back.

Collapse -
Answer
More information
by bommelbee / September 24, 2014 7:29 PM PDT

I plugged the monitor in again on my home PC, The same problem persists:
The monitor cannot display the Bios screen correctly and cuts off the desktop edges at 1920x1080.
Twiddling with monitor settings makes no difference.

So, if I use a different monitor and the same PC, then the display is fine at 1920x1080, this indicates a problem with the monitor (?).
However, if I plug the "faulty" monitor into a different PC, then it is OK at 1920x1080, this suggests a problem with the PC (?).
This does not make sense !!
Is it that my particular PC is just a mismatch with this particular monitor ?

Collapse -
There were some ATI cards I encountered that did that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2014 10:44 PM PDT
In reply to: More information

ATI's own control panels were then tinkered with to get it working. The problem is that I'm not there to see the screens so I can't be exact. Good the other PC worked so back to settings and more digging about this PC's video card and settings.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
RESOLVED
by bommelbee / October 1, 2014 10:07 AM PDT

Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H and SAMSUNG S24D300BL

I took the monitor with the PC to the shop where I bought them from.
They exchanged the D-SUB (RGB) cable with a DVI cable and changed the BIOS settings on the motherboard to use DVI. Now everything is fine. The BIOS display is good and the display at 1920x1080 is good.

NOTE that it is not the D-SUB cable that was faulty, because the same D-SUB cable works fine with another PC/Display. The problem is an incompatibility with the motherboard and the Samsung display.
Both the Samsung Monitor and the PC works fine with 1920x1080 setting on the D-SUB connection when swopped with another Monitor/PC, but not together.
So I still do not know if it is the motherboard or the monitor and neither does the technician, all we know is that they are incompatible with a D-SUB cable at recommended resolution.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.