TVs & Home Theaters forum

Samsung Model UN55ES6100F Not Turning on

by msw1344 / October 17, 2015 7:25 PM PDT

I have read the posts and other items about this problem, the red stand by light blinking and the T.V. not turning on. I took the back off and looked at the three boards in the back but saw no defective looking capacitors, no leaks or bulges. The other posts from years ago stated that it could also be the mother board. Looking at the three boards from the bottom of the T.V. the board on the right looks like the power board, the one on the left has all the connections for antenna and dvd players and stuff so I am assuming that the board in the middle is the mother board everyone refers to?
Am I right? I didn't have any clicking sound, like others mentioned just the flashing red stand by light.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Model UN55ES6100F Not Turning on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Model UN55ES6100F Not Turning on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I take it is OOW?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2015 7:24 AM PDT

OOW is out of warranty. No TV Techs diagnose in forums as folk may sue if they guess wrong. Today's litigious folk mean that even I won't tell you to replace this or that and that all choices are yours as well write that there are LETHAL voltages inside which you assume all risk.

With that out of the way a TV tech either uses their prior experience or gets out the service manual to follow the diagnostic path in the manual. There are folk that want to do such repair without manual or experience so my advice on that is to "replace the cheapest part first." That sage advice came from a fellow engineer.

Collapse -
by msw1344 / October 18, 2015 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: I take it is OOW?

I understand where you are coming from, to bad we live in a world where you can get in trouble for helping someone asking for help by the person asking for the help. I did a little more research and found out how to test the power supply to see if its getting power to the other board and I'm not getting power out to the other boards, but again I don't see any defective looking capacitors, no leaks or bulges. On that note I'm going to follow some great advise I heard "replace the cheapest part first." Got the power board on order, probably best just in case it is a capacitor my soldering skills aren't the best. Thanks for the reply and I will let you know if it was indeed the power board. On a side note I read where this is a big problem with samsung, but that really hit home when I went online to find the part, and the majority of the places were out of stock of that board. One of those hum moments.

Collapse -
In the USA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2015 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep OOW

The ball was dropped about spares for so many years for these devices. When I was in the biz, one of the big costs to overhead was spares for the future. We spent a lot of time trying to predict the lifespan and how much to stock for future repairs. Something changed around 2000 which meant a move to replacements versus repairs. Part of that was the drop from thousands of dollars for a product to hundreds. The techs still cost the same so the crushing sounds of colliding goals of low cost vs. long term parts storage.

Low cost won.

PS. This is not a Samsung only issue. Spares, service manuals are often non-existent for too many things today.

Note: PS added with edit by me.

Post was last edited on October 18, 2015 1:29 PM PDT

Collapse -
Not Power Board
by msw1344 / October 21, 2015 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: In the USA

Well got the power board in and still will not turn on, standby light blinking 5 times like before. Main board must be the problem, just not sure right now. I have a bad feeling I'm not going to be able to find the main board for sale, out of stock is what i think I'm going to fine.

Collapse -
There are other causes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2015 3:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Not Power Board

Example at and too many others where something shorts, draws too much and blinking. Without a service manual and spares my advice is "replace the cheapest part first." Or keep an eye out for a complete model but with a cracked screen.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?