Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung model PN58B650S1F screen blank

Last night while watching TV, my screen simply went blank.
I could hear sound but no picture.
I unplugged the TV for a bit and plugged it back in, still blank. I notice a flashing yellow light coming from one of the boards inside the TV. Not sure if this light always flashes or it indicates a problem.
Is there anything else I can try before calling a repair person? With the prices of TVs these days is it even worth paying to get repaired?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung model PN58B650S1F screen blank
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung model PN58B650S1F screen blank
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

In reply to: Samsung model PN58B650S1F screen blank

karlw90,

In many cases, this is a result of a HDCP (copy protection) issue with HDMI cables. What is likely happening is that the either the cable box or satellite box doesn't recognize the television as an authorized device, and therefore it stopped sending the picture signal while the audio continues.

This can be common. To fix this, try unplugging the cable or satellite box, and plugging the unit back in. Sometimes a simple reset will be enough to reset and fix the issue.

If this still doesn't help, you may need to contact the Samsung customer service center at 800-SAMSUNG for further troubleshooting and assistance.

--HDTech

Collapse -

If it just an issue with the cable box/HDMI cable, shouldn't I still be able to my TV's on-screen menus? Nothing appears on the screen when I try to view the Samsung's on-screen menus.

Collapse -
Samsung model PN58B650S1F screen blank -

karlw90,

Yes, that would likely indicate something wrong with the TV or the panel. My apologies, it sounded as if it was just happening on one input. If you're not able to see on the OSD (On Screen Display) for any menus or any inputs, then I'd recommend having the unit inspected.

You can call and see about prices. I don't have any of that information. But it's free to ask. You can reach out to 800-SAMSUNG for further assistance on having your unit serviced (or potentially serviced).

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung model PN58B650S1F screen blank -

In reply to: Samsung model PN58B650S1F screen blank -

I just encountered the same problem a couple days ago. The Tv is just over two years old and is now out of warranty. I took the TV today to an authorized Samsung service centre. I don't know the cost yet but I can't believe it died already. The TV is only 2 years old. Shouldn't this be covered as a defect. This seems crazy to have a Tv only last 2 years and have to replace it.

Collapse -
Same Problem

In reply to: Samsung model PN58B650S1F screen blank -

I got the same problem with the same model yesterday. Sound but no picture. When
turned on there is a brief flash and no picture. Nothing happens when I push the menu
or source buttons.

Two same model tvs in two days. What a coincidence. I bought the TV just over two
years ago like you. Is this tv's life just about two years?

I did some research online and found that this had been a well documented problem
for Samsung flat screen tvs. And in most cases the culprit was blown
capacitor(s). There are lots of DIY repair videos on Youtube for this. Samsung
has repaired LCD/LED tvs with those bad capacitors for free of charge even with
expired warrantees.

There was burning smell right after the screen went black, so I suspect my tv has
blown capacitor(s) too though I haven't open the back panel yet.

I called the Samsung Service today and asked if my tv could be fixed for free of
of charge like others, if it was the capacitor problem. A service rep told me
"No" because "Free repair for capacitor problem was only for LCD/LED tvs." He
also said if my tv's capacitors went bad it's because of 'normal wear and
tear.'

A $2,200 tv is dead in 2 years because of 'normal wear and tear'? Wow.

Of course I don't know whether capacitor is actual cause yet. I have to find out.

Mwilso59, can you kindly let me know the diagnosis of your tv and how much it cost to
fix?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Result

In reply to: Same Problem

So the result is a1000 dollar repair. Samsung is not taking responsibility for this. The diagnosis was that the electrical board inside the tv needed to be replaced. The tv is completely worthless now. Over 2k for a tv that lasts 2 years. I have a 32 inch sharp LCD that is nearly 5 years old. My advice to anyone thinking of buying a plasma from Samsung, save your money because your tv won't be covered by Samsung when something goes wrong after 2 years. Terrible customer service and satisfaction.

Hope things are different with your problem west4street. Good luck.

Mwilso59.

Collapse -
Result - Samsung model PN58B650S1F screen blank

In reply to: Result

I'm really sorry and upset to hear this. My previous tv, Sony 32" Trinitron, didn't have a problem for 10 years until the power supply unit was needed to be replaced. I totally agree with you about your advise to potential plasma tv buyers. If I have to spend $1,000 2+ years after paying $2,200 to buy it, I will never buy Samsung product in the future.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.