Samsung forum

General discussion

samsung ln52a850 speakers PURCHASE

by machines32 / March 17, 2009 8:16 PM PDT

Hi,
I am on day 5 of my new TV and just love the picture. However, the sound is fairly poor. I would like to purchase external speakers to use with this TV, any suggestions??? I am NOT looking for a full surround sound system. I would assume if I attached speakers I could just switch my settings to external speakers and they would work??? My last question is if I attach new speakers, would my samsung remote or SA8300 cable remote work to adjust the volume. I am trying to avoid using another remote control just to change the sound. Any help would be appreciated.
Aaron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samsung ln52a850 speakers PURCHASE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samsung ln52a850 speakers PURCHASE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
samsung ln52a850 speakers PURCHASE
by _jr_ / March 18, 2009 1:48 AM PDT

If I understand it correctly, the only way to connect external speakers to the A850, without going through an amplifier, is through the Headphones jack.

Audio L/R outputs are Line-level (high impedance) and thus require another piece of electronics, if I am not mistaken.

As far as controlling the volume, the A850 manual says you adjust the TV and Headphones volumes separately. To me that means once you plug in the headphones, the internal speakers are muted, and Volume buttons will now control the headphones volume.
You can experiment with a pair of headphones to see if the remote in question does the trick. My guess is "yes," as long as it could control the volume to begin with.

If you don't have a pair handy, I can check later tonight and report my findings...

_jr_

Collapse -
RCA vs. 3.5mm
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 18, 2009 10:02 AM PDT

Good point.

The headphones jack will allow you to control the volume with the remote. The RCA is a fixed signal, meaning that the only adjustment to the volume is through the amplified system (boom box, or in this case, small home theater system or equivalent). If you do hook up via RCA audio outs, you'll also want to mute the television speakers in the television's menu.

Hope that helps, and keep me posted.

--HDTech

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!