HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN52A650 Randomly Losing Signal/Going to Static Snow

by DemmyD / November 27, 2009 2:50 AM PST

Hi, I've had my Samsung LN52A650 TV since February this year and lately (I'd say the last few weeks or so), the TV will randomly cut to black (but not turn off) and then come back with the information box in the upper left hand corner, or sometimes cut to black and then to a white snow static screen for several seconds before returning to what I was watching. The sound is still coming through, but the picture is just black or snow. It seems that it is only doing this while I am watching TV/DVR'd programs and not while playing video games. I'm connected via HDMI (I've tried changing out the cable, makes no difference) to a Verizon Fios DVR cable box. At first it would do it maybe once every few hours, but now it can happen anywhere from 5 minutes apart to half an hour apart, and it's very very irritating. Any help is appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN52A650 Randomly Losing Signal/Going to Static Snow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN52A650 Randomly Losing Signal/Going to Static Snow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung LN52A650 Randomly Losing Signal/Going to Static Snow
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 27, 2009 5:48 PM PST

DemmyD,

In most cases, this is a result of the HDCP (copy protection). I would recommend that you call the cable/sat company and ask them to reset or refresh your box. In some cases, they may download an update that will solve the issue.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Resetting thr cable box fixed it
by DemmyD / November 29, 2009 12:13 AM PST

I unplugged my cable box for a few minutes to reset it and it's been working fine since. Thanks!

Collapse -
LN52A860 same problem
by jgolden39 / January 26, 2010 10:12 AM PST

I'm really hoping for a reply from Samsung on this one....

I'm having sort of the same problem as DemmyD stated above so I'll state my specifics in case there is something else wrong. Samsung LN52A850 connected to verizon Fios STB via HDMI. I also have xbox 360 and samsung bd-4600 bdp connect via HDMI to the tv each on seperate inputs and cables. The screen on goes to snow when watching cable. It seems completely unpredictable when or how long each event happens. I tried switching cables, switching inputs, verizon even replaced the box. None of the other devices have any problems with any of the cables or inputs. As far as I know, the STB is up to date on any "firmware" it may need, the self diagnostics all show good, only other setting that makes me wonder is the "OOB S/N ratio is 23db. If I remember correctly the lower the number the less signal strength you have. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, I am at a loss as to what to do to fix this thing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.