Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN46A950R1FXZA and LN46A950D1FXZA differences

by jtalstad / January 31, 2009 7:42 AM PST

Vanns has the Samsung LN46A950D1FXZA for $2,499.99.

Electrozone has the Samsung LN46A950 for $2,449. and the Samsung LN46A950R1FXZA for $2,899.

Calls to Samsung, Vanns, and Electrozone haven't totally clarified the differences. Electrozone has indicated that the Samsung LN46A950R1FXZA has a dcdi chip but the Samsung LN46A950 does not. Is the Electrozone Samsung LN46A950 the same as the Vanns Samsung LN46A950D1FXZA, making the dcdi chip a $450 option? Is it worth it? Is it even true? Even Samsung level 2 tech support doesn't understand the model number differences and don't know any thing about a dcdi chip. Can someone comment in this forum with an answer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN46A950R1FXZA and LN46A950D1FXZA differences
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN46A950R1FXZA and LN46A950D1FXZA differences
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Typo....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 3, 2009 2:07 PM PST

jtalsta,

I checked with one of our marketing gurus who checked various sites, asked service and spoke with several other knowledgable people on this issue. Apparently, one of the ads had a typo - there is no R1.

Both units should be a D1.

I hope that helps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung 9 Series: different models available
by jtalstad / February 3, 2009 3:33 PM PST
In reply to: Typo....

Hi HDTech,
I really appreciated finding the e-mail announcing your post in my inbox tonight, but I'm still confused.

Take Electrozone.com for example. They have the both the Samsung LN46A950 and LN46A950R1FXZA listed with a $450 price difference. If the R is supposed to be a D than what is the other model without either letter, that is the Samsung LN46A950? Two different techs at Electrozone did not admit a typo but rather underscored the differences between the Samsung LN46A950 and Samsung LN46A950R1FXZA suggesting that with the dcdi chip the LN46A950R1FXZA is the better set. A general internet search indicates two other differences as well: one regarding a hardware upgrade introduced in October 2008 which improves shadow contrast and another regarding a supply chain limitation which caused two different LCD panels to ship with the same LN46A950 model number; the S panel crowd is happy but the A panel buyers feel cheated. It seems Samsung takes big chances with their good reputation by shipping different quality product under the same label. Regarding the R series simply contact Electrozone yourself (800-264-8212) and see what they say about the different Samsung LN46A950 models available and the quality differences. The confusion caused me to defer the purchase, missing out on the $200 football gear promotion....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.