Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN46A750 can not detect connected 15' svga cable

by Gen inq / November 7, 2008 6:27 AM PST

Hi all, I have problem connecting my laptop to the Samsung LN46A750.

I use 6' male-male SVGA cable to connect my laptop to my Samsung LN46A750. It works perfectly. When I press the source button, PC source is available. The problem appears after I bought 15' male-male SVGA cable. It works perfectly on day one, but not today. When I connect that cable and I pressed source button on the remote, PC is greyout (unavailable). When I change the cable back to the 6' one, PC is available. I think my 15' cable is broken so I hook it up to my pc and my 20" monitor. Voila it works. I am realy confused now. Please help.

Thanks,
Gen Inq

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN46A750 can not detect connected 15' svga cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN46A750 can not detect connected 15' svga cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video Card patch
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 7, 2008 7:22 AM PST

There are several reported computer video cards that are having this issue. The problem lies in the fact that the teleivion detects an incoming signal on one of the pins that is assigned to it. Some manufacturers have provided a patch for the video card on the manufacturer's website that corrects the "Sending signal" pin to the correct pin, which allows the television to detect the signal.

The best thing is to go to the manufacturer's website to see if that patch is available for your specific computer.

Also, there is usually a send-VGA button (Function+F8 on some computers, it may vary). Try to toggle that so that it sends the signal, and then turn the television on, and to the PC input.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Video Card patch
by Gen inq / November 8, 2008 1:05 PM PST
In reply to: Video Card patch

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

In my case, when I hooked up 6' svga cable to the tv without having my laptop hooked up at the other end, the tv instantly detect the cable connection. I know this because when I pressed "source" button at the remote, "PC" is available and it was not greyout (unavailable).

When I hooked up my 15' svga cable the same way as I did to my 6'.The "PC" was greyout (unavailable). I try to press "refresh" button, still the TV said no device connected.

Base on this fact I don't think this is a video card problem because I didn't hooked up the laptop yet, but shorter cable can be detected and the longer one can not. Confusingly, it was working prefectly when I tried the longer cable after I bought it.

Please help,
Geninq

Collapse -
Secondary source enabled?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 9, 2008 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: Video Card patch

I can't explain why it would work one day, and not the next. My best guess would be the signal source.

You want to start with the computer source going to the television, and then maybe power the television on after the computer has begun sending the cable. This gives your computer a chance to recognize the output and begin sending a relevant signal. Most computers have a toggle for the secondary output (primary being the laptop screen), so you want to right click on the desktop, select properties and make sure that secondary scren under settings is enabled.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Secondary Source Enable?
by Gen inq / November 9, 2008 5:03 AM PST

Hi there,

I did that too and I also tried it with my other laptop. Nothing happen.
Weird thing is why the tv can detect my 6' right away with out laptop connected at the other end and it cannot detect my 15'? And the most weird thing, it worked on the first day I bought the 15' cable.

I called Samsung tech support, the guy that answer my call seems just an phone operator not a technician. He even didi't bother to ask somebody.

Counfused!!!!!!!,

Geninq

Collapse -
Escalate?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 9, 2008 7:22 AM PST

I'm not sure why they weren't able to help you.

What happened when you enabled the secondary display on your computer? Did it enable?

--HDTech

Collapse -
The main problem
by Gen inq / November 9, 2008 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: Escalate?

Hi,

I think they juat hired that guy who doesn't like his job.

Anyway, I think the main problem is:
Without having the laptop at the other end, why the tv can not detect my 15' svga male-male cable, BUT it can detect my 6' svga male-male cable.

Also how come it worked when I pluged that 15' cable for the very first time?

This thing confuse me!

Please and Thank you,
Geninq

Collapse -
SAME PROBLEM 6" vs 10"
by taeleebr / February 9, 2009 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: The main problem

Hi!!!

I cant believe but I do have the exact same problem...

My samsung TV would recognize my 6" svga cable, even without being connected to the laptop...but not my 10" cable.

I tested my 10" to my sony bravia, and it works.
But not on my samsung!!!

Collapse -
Working cables available on ebay
by akaar1 / September 18, 2009 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: SAME PROBLEM 6" vs 10"

FYI, 6' and 15' VGA cables which resolve this problem are available on ebay. Search 'samsung hdtv pc cable'.

Collapse -
Cable Issue
by CrotalusHH / September 18, 2009 1:10 PM PDT

I use a 25' DVI to HDMI that works perfectly. I got it cheap from ACCSTATION on Ebay.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!