Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN46A750 Brand New Flickering Issue!

by MrGuyTOR / May 28, 2009 6:02 AM PDT

I am not sure if its a picture settings issue or the malfunctioning of the TV set... unless the "black light" setting is set to "10" the picture flickers when watching TV on my HD cable box. Setting it to 10 seems to resolve the issue but even then on black pictures during a commercial for example the flickering becomes noticeable again. Also on start up the picture will flicker from anywhere between 5-10 seconds. Any insight would be appreciated. I live in Canada btw...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN46A750 Brand New Flickering Issue!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN46A750 Brand New Flickering Issue!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung LN46A750 Brand New Flickering Issue!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 28, 2009 6:15 AM PDT

MrGuyTOR,

If it's happening on all sources, you might want to exchange the television (depending on how brand new it is). If that's not a consideration, you can get the unit serviced as well.

If it's only happening on the television source (and not the DVD, game console, etc), then it may be a setting or an issue with the cable box.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
troubleshooting
by MrGuyTOR / May 28, 2009 6:46 AM PDT

hey thanks for the quick response...

k here is my troubleshooting process...

1) hooked up a dvd player (S-video) and had no flickering issues

2) hooked up HD cable box...
a) HDMI input => flickering
b) three prong HD input => still flickering

so i can assume its not the actual HDMI cable... i will call up my cable company and ask them for a new box... its rented anyways so that shouldnt be a problem... i will keep you posted

fingers crossed its not a tv set issue... even though we are covered... just dont want the hassel

Collapse -
troubleshooting
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 28, 2009 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: troubleshooting

MrGuyTOR,

When you say 3-prong HD, I'm assuming you mean the Red/Green/Blue as opposed to the Yellow/Red/White, correct?

I can appreciate not wanting the hassle of a television repair - a cable box replacement would be much easier. But if that's not the case, we can fix the issue.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Having same problem
by maggieonvermont / June 3, 2009 3:23 AM PDT

I am also having a problem with flickering and occasionally the sound cutting out but only when I try to watch television. It doesn't happen with my apple tv or my ps3 (game or blu-ray).

We had this same tv in a different room after we got it. We just finished having some carpentry work done in our tv room. We moved the tv (mounted it, it was on the stand before) and plugged it back into the same cable box and then the problems began.

The cable company came out on Monday. They gave us a new box (same model, motorola 3416) problem persisted. They ran a new cable line inside, problem persisted. They also changed out the splitter, problem continued. The technician then decided to blame the problem on the hdmi cable. We don't have our av receiver yet, it comes tomorrow, so right now I'm using the same hdmi cable when using the ps3 or apple tv. So, I don't believe it could be a problem with the hdmi.

So the question becomes, what else could be causing this issue? I haven't tried changing the black light setting (I will and will report back). But I didn't change any setting upon moving the system between rooms. In fact, everything was probably only unplugged for less than an hour in the transfer.

All our other tv's (none hd) are still working fine with the cable. I feel like Alice in Wonderland, lost down a strange tunnel.

Collapse -
Having same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 6, 2009 3:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Having same problem

What is the model number on your television?

--HDTech

Collapse -
a week in... with new box
by MrGuyTOR / June 3, 2009 6:22 AM PDT

well a week in... new HD box and the flickering is still an issue when the back light setting is not at 10... you are correct about the cables... so i dont think that is the issue... you wouldnt notice it while watching tv until there is a black scene or a black picture showing the honda symbol for example during a commerical where the symbol has a noticable flicker even on back light set to 10! on startup there is also a flicker for 5-10 seconds... just got this tv a couple weeks ago and dont know if this is normal or is there a picture setting that can fix this... i have up to 30 days to return it back to the store or call samsung support... i dont know what route would be best... any direction would be appreciated...

to the above poster... i have not had a sound issue accompanying the flickering fyi

Collapse -
flickering so bad can't even watch it.
by maggieonvermont / June 3, 2009 7:17 AM PDT

The sound doesn't seem to happen often, it's really the flickering that is terrible. Mine is constant and flickers a bright white typically towards the lower left hand portion of the tv. I've had the tv since January and didn't have this problem at all until I moved the tv and the cable box to a different room.

The only other solution I can come up with is that I had to use a different surge protector. I'm going to get a different one tonight and see if it makes any difference.

Also, I checked at lunch and my backlight setting was already on 10, so that won't seem to make a difference for me. I'll post tomorrow after I get a difference surge protector (plus I have a/v guys coming tomorrow to set up our new receiver & surround sound, maybe they'll have some idea what the problem is).

Collapse -
a week in... with new box
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 6, 2009 3:46 PM PDT

MrGuyTOR -

What is the model number on your unit?

--HDTech

Collapse -
model
by MrGuyTOR / June 6, 2009 6:33 PM PDT

Samsung LN46A750

Collapse -
Everything is working now
by maggieonvermont / June 6, 2009 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: model

So, our A/V technicians were out on Thursday, not sure if it was the addition of the receiver or the fact that they put in a new cable box but the flickering has gone away. My guess is the cable box was the issue and the cable co. gave me a bad used box (it looked like it had been chucked across the room a dozen times)to replace the bad box I had. The box I got from the a/v technicians looks new and while it has the same model number as the two boxes I got from the cable co. it looks totally different. So, maybe it is a new version of the same model? Regardless, I now have my beautiful picture back.

Collapse -
Different solution?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 8, 2009 3:03 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?