Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN46a630 bezel cracking - manufacturer defect??

by anorphius / April 5, 2009 12:59 PM PDT

I purchased a brand new Samsung LN46a630 from Amazon.com in January of '09, and just today I noticed that the plastic surrounding the red TOC bezel has started developing a whole bunch of cracks in it. The cracks are most prevalent at the top of the TV, but there are cracks developing in the corners and on the bottom of the TV too!

Since I don't know how to post photos, I've linked to AVSforum, where I posted some pictures of the problem. What's going on? Is anyone else having this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN46a630 bezel cracking - manufacturer defect??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN46a630 bezel cracking - manufacturer defect??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
oops, forgot to include the link
by anorphius / April 5, 2009 1:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Samsung LN46a630 bezel cracking - manufacturer defect??
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 5, 2009 8:48 PM PDT

anorphius,

We are addressing that issue. If you call 800-SAMSUNG, you should be able to get a service technician to replace the bezel with one that is not defective.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
thanks for the reply
by anorphius / April 17, 2009 5:45 PM PDT

I called samsung, and they are sending a tech out this week to replace the bezel. Hopefully this was just an isolated incidence!

Collapse -
thanks for the reply
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 19, 2009 5:54 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks for the reply

anorphius,

No problem. Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Air bubbles separation cracks in LN4A630 TOC bezel
by ward1064 / January 24, 2010 10:50 AM PST

I purchased an LN4A630 in October 2008 started noticing the bubbling/cracking in the top of TOC bezel in the fall of 2009 and it has gotten much worse since, now spreading down the sides. I called Samsung in November 2009 to report the issue and they said they could not repair it because it was out of warranty, by a lousy couple of weeks. I did buy a 5 year warranty from the store where I purchased it, so I called them. They told me they couldn't help because the problem was not a "technical" issue. I love the tv but it looks terrible. Is there anything you can do? Please help!

Thanks

Collapse -
Air bubbles and separation cracks in LN4A630 TOC bezel
by ward1064 / January 24, 2010 10:59 AM PST

I purchased an LN4A630 in October 2008 started noticing the bubbling/cracking in the top of TOC bezel in the fall of 2009 and it has gotten much worse since, now spreading down the sides. I called Samsung in November 2009 to report the issue and they said they could not repair it because it was out of warranty, by a lousy couple of weeks. I did buy a 5 year warranty from the store where I purchased it, so I called them. They told me they couldn't help because the problem was not a "technical" issue. I love the tv but it looks terrible. Is there anything you can do? Please help!
Sorry I am new to the site and may have posted it in a couple of wrong places.

Thanks

Collapse -
Cracked Bezel on Samsung UN55D6000
by allmediallc / April 8, 2011 1:56 AM PDT

I installed a new Samsung UN55D6000 and found the bottom right corner of the bezel cracked. Picked up another one for the customer and that one had a crack in the bottom left corner. What's up? Is there a batch of D6000s that are defective? Please advise. Thank you.

Collapse -
Cracked Bezel on Samsung UN55D6000
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 8, 2011 4:24 AM PDT

allmediallc,

No, not on our end. Lots of things happen between the manufacturing plant and the customer's front door. Sounds like a roughly handled shipment, which the retailer should be able to address. I apologize for the inconvenience, but it wasn't shipped that way by us.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Bezel Cracking
by BE620 / March 3, 2012 10:57 PM PST

I have the same model with the probelm. When I contacted Samsung I was told they were not "aware" of this problem but could have one of their technicians repair it...at my cost. I was surprised by Samsung's response in light of the number of costumers who appear to have this problem. We have otherwise been happy with the tv and other Samsung products that we own. In light of this experience however I would be hesitant to buy their products in the future.

Collapse -
LN46A630
by Lookhear / January 5, 2010 2:24 AM PST

I have the same unit got it Dec 08 and did notice small crack but ingnored it, because I was so happy with the new buy. Warranty just expired !

Then now realised that the crack has gone almost completely across the top and some spots along the bottom, I have extended warranty on this and originally they did not want to even look at it, Had to explain that it is not damage caused by accident or misuse so Best Buy now says they will send someone, bu if it's my fault will charge me for service call !!! So waiting to se how this plays out ...

Collapse -
problem happened again!
by anorphius / February 6, 2010 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: LN46A630

it's been almost a year since i posted this thread, and my TV had the exact same bezel cracking problem again. Exact same distribution, and the bezel looks like crap again. I'm out of warranty, but I'll see if Samsung can work with me, seeing as how it's the exact same issue all over again.

Love the TV, but this is getting pretty frustrating.

Collapse -
LN46B640 with 2nd cracked bezel
by LightningII / August 22, 2010 2:22 PM PDT

TV purchased 5/09. Noticed cracking/delamination around 12/09. Called Samsung and got very good service and bezel was replaced Jan 10. Noticed last month (~6 months again) that problem has repeated on the new part. Warranty says repairs are warranted for 3 months or until end of warranty. It appears the cause of the problem was not corrected or I got bad parts again. How would I know if the replaced bezel was the "new and improved" version?

Collapse -
LN37B650 bezel cracking
by Jaf5600 / July 17, 2012 7:48 AM PDT

I am having a similar problem with my TOC TV. Unfortunately, because my TV is out of warranty, I can not get Samsung customer service to acknowledge that this issue has ever come up with other TOC TVs, let alone, get them to take a look at my TV and offer to repair/replace. From the numerous horror stories I have read on this forum and others (2, 3 replacement bezels, all cracked), it seems as though this is a widespread manufacturing issue. My TV did not have these cracks when it was delivered and set up by Best Buy and it has not been touched since it was set up except to dust it. The cracks appear to be generating from the inside of the bezel out as in many of the spots where the cracking has occurred you can't feel the crack on the outside of the bezel, you can only see the hairline crack on the insider. Not sure what to do about this besides warn everyone I know that Samsung products may be faulty and you could be left high and dry. It really sucks because as others have mentioned, the picture quality is great. The cracks just make the TV an eyesore. Anyone who has had this issue and had a difficult time with Samsung customer service, I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions about how you resolved the issue. Any Samsung techs monitoring this forum, I also welcome your suggestions/comments. Thanks.

Model: LN37B650
Open Transaction #: 510 376 7191

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?