General discussion

Samsung LN40C530 LCD TV USB

Ya, I recently bought a WD external HDD to hook up to the USB port on the tv and watch movies and what not from. Everything was working fine except I noticed sound would gradually go out of sync, then I would have to pause Media Play for a few seconds, resume play and everything was back on sync. So I checked Samsung.ca for a firmware update that might address this issue, I saw a new update so I decided to update the firmware, that process all went through fine, however did not fix the sync problem. Well now after a few days of using the external HDD connect to the TV out of the blue I went to watch something today and the TV doesn't recognize anything plugged into the USB port anymore. Not my external drive, nor any other freshly FAT32 formatted USB key. Any help would be great, thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung LN40C530 LCD TV USB
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung LN40C530 LCD TV USB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

Kritik28,

If the television isn't detecting any USB device at all, it may have either been receiving too much power at the port (depending on the specs of the external HDD), or the port itself may not be working correctly.

You might try to reset your TV, and see if that helps. To do this, you can (with the TV powered ON), press and hold the EXIT button on the remote until you're prompted to "RESET?" Choose "YES" and [Enter]. Then try the port again. (Note - this will delete your video and audio settings)

If it still doesn't work, you may want to call the Samsung customer service center and have your unit inspected.

--HDTech

- Collapse -

Wow, thanks for your amazing quick response time. So last night I decided to just turn the tv off and unplug it from the wall, this afternoon I started from square one, I turned the TV up, turned the external HDD one, plugged it into the TV and I saw the LED on the HDD flashing as it was being read and all of a sudden it worked. The TV dialog popped up asking if I wanted to upgrade software or launch Media Play. So I'm not sure why it wasn't working last night but it wasn't reading any USB device I put into the TV. It still seems to go out of sync with audio though, especially when choosing DTS stream.

- Collapse -

Kritik28,

I'm not sure about the DTS solution - although encoding may fix it. I know, this is unpopular, but the TV accepts a limited number of codecs, and results may vary on playback based on how the file is encoded.

However, being prompted to update or launch Media Play is normal, since updates can be installed with MSC class thumbdrives. But I'm glad to hear it's working again.

--HDTech

CNET Forums

Forum Info