Samsung forum

General discussion

SAMSUNG LN40B550 BRICKED AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE!!

by ALEXANDERJASON / November 13, 2010 4:11 AM PST

This morning I was updating firmware on all of my TV's and other componenets. The Samsung was the last of the bunch, and it seemed like everything was fine until it reached 100% - the display said something about the firmware error and cycled the power off. I was moving from firmware 1016 to 1021. Now it just keeps cycling itself on and off every 30 seconds or so. The cycle goes likr this - no red led light for about 15 seconds, the the light begins to blink and you hear the startup music, then the light stops blinking and NOTHING!! it repeats this over and over - the only way to stop it is to unplug it.

I called into Samsungs help line and was told it was my fault for trying to update the firmware if there was no problem!?! This is a poor excuse - there is no mention of this on the website - no warning in the instructions - and very poor customer service!!

Now I have a $1000 paper weight that they will not do anyting about since my warranty expired Sept 30, 2010 (45 days ago).

I am so angry about this! I have been brand loyal to Samsung for so long, and even paid extra for their their products instead of buying competing brands with the same features.

Anyone have any advice on how i can bring this TV back to life?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SAMSUNG LN40B550 BRICKED AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SAMSUNG LN40B550 BRICKED AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SAMSUNG LN40B550 BRICKED AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE!! -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 13, 2010 7:07 AM PST

ALEXANDERJASON,

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. I don't like reading situations like this, so I'll do what I can to help.

First, updating a television is a bad thing, and I'm not sure why this was communicated to you. It's certainly in error, and if you can provide a transaction number from your call, I'll be happy to have someone in the call center review the call you had previously. If not, unfortunately, I have no recourse to track the call, but I would like to extend an apology for that.

Now, there is something that I may be able to assist with.

First, register your product online at the Samsung.com registration site. As this page states in the middle (by the green star) that registering adds an additional 3 months to your existing warranty.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/

Click on "Register Now" and submit it. That should cover you over the 45 days that the warranty expired.

Then, call 800-SAMSUNG with a fresh call, explain that your television developed an issue in the process of a firmware update, and that you've registered online to receive the additional 3 months of warranty. You may be walked through some troubleshooting, but go with it and then see if they'll set up a service call for your unit to be serviced.

If they still aren't able to help you out, ask for a transaction number for this call, post it here, and I'll see if I can have one of the service managers review the case.

I'd like to earn your loyalty back, and again, I'm sorry you weren't assisted the first time.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank You HDTech!
by ALEXANDERJASON / November 14, 2010 6:10 AM PST

Thank you for your response. My transaction number is 4007508169. I registered my TV on Samsung.com, although there was no confirmation of extending the warranty. I will call later today or first thing tomorrow to start a new inquiry.

I sincerely appreciate your help - this is frustrating.

Collapse -
Whoops
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 17, 2010 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You HDTech!

I don't believe I did that.

Let me clarify my statement.

Updating a television is NOT a bad thing. I update all of my devices (that's a personal preference).

I can't believe I made that mistake, or that this was said to you TWICE. Good gravy, what a faux pas!

So, now that we are hopefully clear that updating a TV is perfectly okay and acceptable (and usually successful), did you get a hold of the service center? Will they be able to assist you?

Please keep me posted, and I'm sorry for missing one very important word in my last post.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Firmware gone Wrong
by cm2121 / November 28, 2010 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: Whoops

HDTech,

I have the same issue as AJ; I did the firmware update just like I do
for by other devices, and my 2 day old TV Died. I found this post and I called
for support and I was told in a very condescending way by "Keisha" I should not have
done the update as I was not having a problem, I explained to her that the site did not indicate that there was any issues with doing the upgrade. Her response "Well now
your TV Doesn't work so you should not have done the upgrade". I'm not sure what is going on
on your support desk but it should be looked into, I don't think this is the kind of Customer Service
Samsung would like to be known for. Transacion number can be provided if needed.

CM..

Collapse -
Firmware gone Wrong
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2010 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware gone Wrong

cm2121,

I'm sorry you also were told this. It's not a response that should have been delivered, and particularly in the way it was delivered. I'm sincerely apologetic, and will be forwarding your post directly to a service manager for further review.

In the meantime, can you turn your TV on? If so, power it on, and press and hold the EXIT button until you're prompted to "RESET?". Choose YES and see if that helps get your TV working again.

If not, please post your transaction number, and I will be happy to have a service manager look into this.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Reset did not work
by cm2121 / November 29, 2010 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: Firmware gone Wrong

HDTech,

I tried the reset but nohing happened after 2 mins of me holding the Exit button
thank you for looking into this issue for me. my transaction number is 2012541558

Thanks
CM

Collapse -
Reset did not work
by cm2121 / November 29, 2010 1:08 PM PST
In reply to: Reset did not work

I looked up the Factor reset on the Samsung Site, but the issue with my TV is there is no display at all, i tried to do the rest blind but it did not work.

Collapse -
Reset did not work
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 1, 2010 8:12 AM PST
In reply to: Reset did not work

cm2121,

I'm sorry to hear that this didn't help. I have escalated the case and would like to see if someone can review it and offer some assistance.

Please keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
(NT) TV is fixed. Thank you for your help!
by ALEXANDERJASON / November 28, 2010 11:32 PM PST
Collapse -
How was your issue resolved ?
by cm2121 / November 29, 2010 1:49 AM PST

Alexander,

Can you plesase let me know how your issue was resolved, was it a service call
or were able to do it on your own?

Thanks
CM

Collapse -
it wasn't easy!
by ALEXANDERJASON / November 29, 2010 3:39 AM PST

unfortunately, when your TV is bricked because of an unsuccesful firmware update, the only thing that can be done is to replace the main board. i was lucky that i was able to register the TV and get the warranty extension as i was just past 12 months when i tried to update the firmware and bricked the TV.

i got the same run around from customer service about how i should not have updated the firmware if i was not having any problems to begin with.

i was really unhappy with the experieince, and if it had not been for the help of HDTech, i would have probably ended up using this TV as target practice.

if Samsung does not feel you should be updating firmware, then they should put a message on the website where it is availbale for ANYONE to download and apply AT ANYTIME without ANY WARNINGS OF ANY KIND!!

i pride myself on being a little bit of a tech geek. i even created a 16 channel christmas light show this past week with light o rama software to about 15 different songs and connected it to 5000 lights on and around the house with over 1200 feet of extension cords. i keep all of my firmware up to date, and have even gained a few handy features while doing it on other components - for example, i can now control my PS# through my Sony TV remote without having to use the joystick or a separate sony bluetooth remote when watching movies in our gameroom - thanks to a firmware update on my Sony TV.

i wish you luck - i'm sure if your TV is new, it will be covered under warranty and back to good as new in no time, but it is a hassle.

i will continue to update firmware on ALL of my other devices OTHER than Any of my many Samsung devices. (bLU-RAY, 2 tv'S, refrigerator, washer/dryer, camera, etc.)

Collapse -
Thank uou for the information
by cm2121 / November 29, 2010 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: it wasn't easy!

I wanted to say thanks for the post's it's been very helpful with this process. I agree with you completely about the Samsung websites not providing any warnings. I was told by a customer service rep that Samsung just launched this new website a few weeks ago and the old site had the warning but it never made it to this new site. Note to Samsung if you release an update that is only to be used if something is wrong it's not called a Firmware Update, it's called a Patch or a fix.

Collapse -
(NT) TV is fixed. Thank you for your help!
by ALEXANDERJASON / November 28, 2010 11:32 PM PST
Collapse -
TV is fixed. Thank you for your help!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2010 2:35 AM PST

ALEXANDERJASON,

Great news. Thanks for posting back!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same issue!!
by lutherm1 / December 21, 2015 11:47 AM PST

I just encountered the exact same problem with my LN52B550. I was running firmware version 1016, and downloaded the 1021 update from the Samsung site here:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/LN52B550K1FXZA-search

I applied the update via USB: The update bar filled to 100%, I was then greeted with "Firmware Update Failed", and the TV shut off after clicking OK.

The TV now just infinitely power cycles, playing the first 3 notes of the power on noise.

I reached out to Samsung support and have been told that the TV is too far out of warranty, and the service company wants $300 for a repair.

At a minimum, this firmware update should be pulled down from the samsung website, as there is apparently some issue with the upgrade path from 1016 to 1021.

If there's anything anyone at Samsung can do to assist, my transaction #4133639370

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?