Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN40B500 Picture shakes when connected through HDMI

by hardik1980 / December 21, 2009 11:07 PM PST

I have a brand new 40" Samsung LN40B500. When I connect the TV with the Cablevision Scientific Atlanta cable box using HDMI cable, the picture shakes slightly - but noticeably. I have tried 2 HDMI cables, but results are the same. When I connect to the cable box using component cable, there is no issue. I would like to find out if it is the TV's HDMI input that is the cause of the problem or the cable box so that I can exchange it if necessary. But, since Cable box is the only HDMI capable device I have, I don't have a way of testing this out. Anyone else has experienced this issue with these Samsung TVs?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN40B500 Picture shakes when connected through HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN40B500 Picture shakes when connected through HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 22, 2009 1:49 AM PST

hardik1980,

You might check to make sure that the cable/sat box has "HDMI out" selected in the menu (if it's not auto detected) and this would be in the cable box's settings menu, or changing the resolution on the box may help also.

It's also possible that your cables aren't rated HDMI v. 1.3. Do you know if they are?

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by hardik1980 / December 22, 2009 10:22 PM PST

HDTech,

Yes, The HDMI cables are rated v1.3 according to the manufacturer.

I changed the resolution of the cable box to 720p and reset it and that seems to have eliminated the shaking. I set the resolution back to 1080i, and no shaking has appeared yet. Seems like HDMI connection worked better after the reset. I will continue to monitor.

Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 23, 2009 5:16 AM PST

hardik1980,

No problem. Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
This worked for me!
by digitalmaniak / February 20, 2012 2:46 PM PST

The key is to switch to 720p then reset the box. When everything comes live again switch to 1080i and it should be good.

Collapse -
Thanks!!
by nailer225 / November 21, 2012 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: This worked for me!

This situation was giving me a migraine and I couldn't come up with a solution. DM, I appreciate your help and the time you took to post an answer - it was extremely helpful.

Collapse -
Re-HDMI
by jpa2241958 / April 18, 2010 4:39 AM PDT

I have the same issue with my 52 inch model LN52B750 U1F.I have an HD cable box. At first I used component cables and noticed slight shake on some channels-bad on others. Switched to HDMI with no success. Double checked all connections with no luck.My DVD player is new and has the same problem but not as bad. Im not looking forward to hauling this set back to the store!

Collapse -
HDMI
by redfox123456 / December 22, 2010 6:02 PM PST
In reply to: Re-HDMI

Hi HDTech,

I have same issues here. The picture shakes when connected with an HDMI cable. My cable is as well a v1.3 series. My laptop is Acer with OS Windows Vista and I used Dual Core setting. I followed the HDMI-PC setting but nothing changed. Hope you can help.

Thanks

Collapse -
Its not the TV...its cablevison!
by frankanbeans / September 15, 2010 11:48 PM PDT

I know this is a very late reply but I was doing a search for cablevision shaky picture and this came up. I figured I would reply in case anyone else is having a similar issue.
I have the same issue with my Panasonic viera plasma as well as my Sharp aquos LCD TV. Both are conected to cablevision scientific atlanta cable boxes. I do not have this problem with my DVD player. Its only with the cable boxes...and the shakiness is intermittent. It doesnt happen all the time. Sometimes when I reset the box it gets better.
I have heard from other people that have cablevision and have the same problem.
I think I am going to switch to Verizon...I'll give the cablevision folks one last chance to fix it but if not I'll cough up the extra couple of bucks for Verizon.

Collapse -
Toggling the inputs seems to get rid of it temporarily.
by ReilDeil / February 23, 2011 11:28 PM PST

When I change the input and then change it back it seems to reset and stop shaking, until the next time.

Collapse -
Samsung 55 inch TV Picture shakes after 14 months we puchase
by ariesvt / February 20, 2012 10:57 PM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I bought SM 55inch TV 14 months ago and right after factory warranty expires, TV is broken showing lots of flashness. I heard that my friend is in the same situation. My husband read SM forum and got the info that it is a common problem for all SM TV, so SM will extend the service period. So we called and SM promised that they would check but until now no return call. I am very much disappointed about the fact that Samsung makes products last only one 1 year so they do not need to give service. But you need to remember, you lost the future customer. I and my friends will never buy Samsung products again. I will spread this to everywhere.

Collapse -
Why post in an old discussion?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2012 11:07 PM PST

Just wondering.

But at 14 months there is that 3 more months you get by registering at samsung.com in the USA.

Why not get your extra warranty (it is free here) and get your set fixed?
Bob

Collapse -
update samsung 55 inch TV
by ariesvt / February 21, 2012 3:21 AM PST

Surprisingly, they just called and told us they will fix TV for us. Wow! Posting at here is working. I will decide whether I will buy Samsung again after they fix and how long the TV lasts. I think all products should last at least 5 years without any problem.

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2012 3:30 AM PST

Just a tip. In most forums, you want to create your own new discussion so it gets top billing.
Bob

Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2012 3:33 AM PST

Sadly we are fighting a battle that is well known. My background includes component and system reliability studies and if you look up BATHTUB CURVE you see the problem. Infant mortality is not going away in almost any product. This means the warranties must continue and if it's cost effective we should get longer warranties.
Bob

Collapse -
Technition from samsung
by ariesvt / February 23, 2012 3:47 AM PST

Hello Samsung,

We got a phone call from a technician who was designated by Samsung and is away 2 hours from us and he said he would come today. Before he came, my husband talked to him and explained everything what possibly might be wrong. In that case the technician should have brought at least possible parts to fix the TV. He came without any parts and talked to us after he checked TV "you are right, that is a problem. I will order the parts and come back a week later." So he can bill to Samsung twice visiting fee and wasting everyone's time. Samsung, can you find a way to make this service more effective and faster?

Collapse -
Technition from samsung
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 25, 2012 2:13 PM PST

ariesvt -

I'd be happy to have someone look into it. If you post your transaction number, I can have someone look up your information and which technician was assigned to you.

I'm not sure what would or might happen as a result, but I'll be happy to escalate your concern and see what happens.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Update Samsung 55 inch
by Pattiag111 / December 17, 2016 7:07 AM PST

Did you call Samsung or cablevision? Everyone seems to be saying it's a Cablevision problem

Collapse -
Support site..
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 21, 2012 2:02 AM PST

Did you registering at the support site, and then calling it in?

Collapse -
55" samsung led tv would not buy

Purchased a Samsung 55" led tv from Costco in November of 2014. On June of 2016 the mother board in the Samsung led tv burned out. Samsung did not stand by their product. Claimed it was out of warranty. Which it was, but the television is not that old at all. Sumsung sent out a repair technician, he fixed it but not after charging a $400.00 fee. The quality after the repair isn't there, the television will never be the same. I have spoke with samsung service department and have gotten no posotive feed back, claiming it's fixed. It is fixed a picture shows up on the screen but it's not the same as before the fix. Basically I purchased a product that the manufacturer does not stand behind and it will never be the same again. Do not buy this tv you will regret it. I have, after being a loyal customer owning two other samsung devices. They have lost my loyalty. Fool me once....

Collapse -
Samsung picture shakes
by Pattiag111 / December 17, 2016 7:08 AM PST

I have the same thing. It's most obvious when there is a lot of motion onscreen. There seems to be a "catch up " moment

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?