Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN40A650, 120hz refresh & HDMI ver ?

by alschott / February 5, 2009 10:50 AM PST

I just bought a LN40A650 and one of the driving factors was the 120hz refresh rate. I have a scientific atlanta 8240hdc and am using a standard hdmi to connect w/my tv.

I am trying to figure out why the picture keeps coming up as 60hz when i hit info on the samsung remote. Is this bc i need a ver 1.3 hdmi cable? As i see some hdmi's are advertised as supporting 120hz?
Which version does the ln40a650 take?
and if i am connecting my macbook does it make a difference?

Then I read in a product description of the LN40A650 that "...4 HDMI v1.3 (3 rear, 1 side) ? accepts signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)" (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mZYLUEmZQY0/p_305LN40650/Samsung-LN40A650.html) which seems to say no matter which hdmi I use it will only support 60hz(?).

So I am trying to figure out what input must i use to get a 120hz refresh rate?

and does it make a difference what type of coax is used between the outlet and the box? could that be the issue?

Please help as i know so little about this stuff i may as well drive to amish town to get some answers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN40A650, 120hz refresh & HDMI ver ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN40A650, 120hz refresh & HDMI ver ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In addition...
by alschott / February 5, 2009 11:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Samsung LN40A650, 120hz refresh & HDMI ver ?
by rizza3 / February 6, 2009 3:17 AM PST

alschott,

The device itself, blue ray player, game console, or cable box would have to output at 120hz. From reading these fourms I don't believe anything currently outputs at 120hz.

regards,

rizza3

Collapse -
Source must be 120Hz
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 7, 2009 1:42 PM PST

alschott,

The source itself must be 120Hz for the television to recognize it as a 120Hz signal.

You're referring to the Info Button on the remote that notes that the incoming signal is 60Hz, correct? That 60hz signal is converted to a 120hz signal on your LN40A650, but that happens inside the television.

A compatible HDMI 1.3 cable should meet most of your application needs.

120Hz cables are available, but since very few sources (if any in the consumer market) are available to actually send 120hz signals, 120hz cables are usually unnecessary. There's quite a bit of confusion on that, but that's why we're here.

An Apple representative would be more qualified to speak if the MacBooks can actually output a 120hz signal, but most (US) outputs are 60hz.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Wait...
by djd98 / February 7, 2009 8:34 PM PST
In reply to: Source must be 120Hz

This doesn't seem right. My understanding, from absolutely everything else I have read, is that neither these units nor any other mainstream units at the moment can display a 120Hz input at 120hz. The 120hz tech that Samsung advertise just refers to the internal refresh rate of the panel which allows trumotion to be applied. My understanding is that any 120hz input signal will be downsampled to 60hz by the TV.

I have done the research as I was interested in running Nvidia's 3D shutter glass tech (http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d_stereo.html) which requires a 120hz display. However, only very few displays currently support this.

Can you confirm that LN40A650 can definitely display a 120hz input at 120hz? What inputs on the TV support this? Can you give some examples? What other Samsung models support this?

If so, you have just made an instant sale...

Collapse -
3-D
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 8, 2009 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: Wait...

djd98,

I don't believe any televisions in our lineup will accept a 120Hz raw signal via HDMI. As noted before, very few (if any) consumer electronics solutions support 120Hz. The televisions will accept a 60Hz signal and then process/upconvert it to display on the 120Hz panel.

I'm not even sure that 120Hz would be downsampled; in some cases it may be "Mode Not Supported" for the television.

For 3-D applications, actually, your best bet would be DLP - and many would be surprised to learn - followed by plasma. Our DLP units currently have 3-D technology capabilities that we've worked with TriDef on - http://tridef.com/home.html for more info - so I do know that 3-D is an option with Samsung products. I may have to research to answer more specific questions, but I'm happy to do so.

Ideally, the technology allows, say, two drivers in a racing game to have their own full screen by broadcasting 60 frames to Lens 1 and 60 frames to Lens 2 intermittently. Or to watch 2-D movies in 3-D with some minor sampling.

Let's discuss, and what I don't know, I'll find out.

--HDTech

Collapse -
3-D
by djd98 / February 10, 2009 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: 3-D

Dear HD_Tech,

Thank you for your detailed clarification.

I am definitely interested in picking up one of the 3D ready samsung screens. I was aware of the 3D ready DLP units but as someone living in the UK, I haven't seen any units on sale here. Also, I have a small flat so I need a wall mountable unit. However, there do appear to be 3D-Ready Samsung plasmas kicking around.

So my next question is this: Are you aware of a Samsung 42" (or 40") LCD or Plasma screen, capable of 1080p, which is 3D ready? I have been able to find the PS50A756 both nothing smaller which fits the bill. Presumably Samsung are going to be launching something along these lines this year? And I take it that there are no LCD units which are 3D ready? Presumably, the next gen will have it.

The two player driving game sounds like an excellent idea!

Collapse -
Checking
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 12:22 PM PST

djd98,

I'm checking to see if any of our current models have that capability.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Series 4
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 11, 2009 4:58 AM PST

djd98,

The Series-4 will have the 3-D capabilities. The draw on that is that it's a 720p panel, which - interestingly enough, is the native resolution of many of the games. Ask me again in about a month, and I'll see if I have any information on the 09 models as well.

But it' here today.

--HDTech

Collapse -
3D-Ready
by djd98 / February 13, 2009 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Series 4

Thanks.

Looking at the specs though, it still doesn't appear that the series 4 will have the capability of receiving a 120hz signal. At least not according to the manuals. The '3D-Ready' badge used by Samsung in the past seems to simply refer to the use of an external IR sync transmitter and a response time appropriate for shutter glasses (as opposed to the poor response time of LCD screens). Given this, assuming the use of a seperate IR transmitter, any of the current gen Samsung plasmas would seem to be '3D-ready'.

Any further insight on this? The screens shown at CES 2009 seemed to be 120hz (although it was never made explicit for the larger screens):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLlyLvpofo

Collapse -
Hang on
by djd98 / February 13, 2009 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: 3D-Ready

This says it does the 450 plasma does accept 120hz from the PC:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=87740

How many other Samsung plasmas accept 120hz from the PC? Any chance you could let me know? Like I said, if one of the 1080p models do, I would be v. interested in buying.

Collapse -
by juansuero / December 19, 2009 8:38 AM PST

Just got back from watching Avatar on IMAX 3-d.
I kept the movie theater 3d glasses.

I have a PS3 and a LN40A650 A1 FXZA

I was wondering what options I have for
playing the Avatar game and seeing it in 3d just like the movie.
buying the blu-ray disk when it comes out and seeing it in 3d just like the movie.

i also have a Dell studio XPS 1640 laptop with HDMI output
video card = ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3670 - 512MB

on my desktop I have a
Dual 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS
but no HDMI ( can i add HDMI here? )

my netbook has an HDMI output but the video card probably sucks..
its the Intel Mobile 4 but it works when i attach the HDMI and i can watch netflicks.

What I want to know is..
all the different combinations of things i can do to see the closest 3-d as possible to the movie.

Ive heard things like 120mhz isnt really 120mhz
old vs new ps3 or xbox
need special wireless glasses?!?
nvidia has there own glasses
requiment of DLP ( whats DLP? )

also wats the difference between the red/blue 80s 3d glasses
and the ones i got from the movie theater that are more like shades.
in terms of how they effect the chain of hardware i need to put together to make this happen.

thanks!!!

Collapse -
Thanks for the info!
by alschott / February 7, 2009 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: Source must be 120Hz

Thank you very much for the clarification!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?