Question

Samsung LN40A550 VGA "Mode Not Supported"

Not sure where else to go with this problem. It's pretty unique and I've had a tough time getting any decent search results online. Just one thread that was abandoned years ago. Anyway....

I'm looking for someone who knows more than I do about HDTV and VGA input. I purchased a Samsung LN40A550P3FXZA in 2008. Recently, I've moved into a new house and this display is my new 'gaming' room display. I have a VGA box for the SEGA Dreamcast that worked great on the previous Vizio display, but I cannot seem to get it to work on the Samsung. It states "Mode Not Supported" when I attempt the power it on, plugged into the VGA port on the TV. I realize it's probably a resolution or refresh issue, but can anyone confirm that these two pieces of equipment are not compatible?

My tv manual states that the display supports a VESA 640x480, 31.469 kHz Hor Freq, 59.940 Hz Vert, 25.175 MHz Pixel Clock, -/- Sync Polarity. This is one of many supported modes, but I think the Dreamcast outputs here. It should output at 640x480p60 (Progressive Scan, EDTV standard) at 31 kHz in RGBHV, via Wikipedia

Also, I don't get the option to Auto Adjust when on the PC input.

With "Mode Not Supported" up, I can press Tools on the remote and get options for Device List, Picture Mode, Sound Mode, Sleep Timer, and PIP. No Auto Adjust.

From Menu>Picture>Auto Adjustment, the option is greyed out and inaccessible. It seems as though I should have the option, but it simply won't let me select it.

If I can provide any more information, Ill be happy to do so. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Samsung LN40A550 VGA "Mode Not Supported"
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung LN40A550 VGA "Mode Not Supported"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sorry but such is hit and miss.

The only advice I can offer is to change the NAME of that input to PC or PC DVI or the others to see if it can un-gray those options.

I'm finding HDTVs are getting MORE PICKY about video modes. If you need a more capable display, you find you don't want a HDTV.
Bob

- Collapse -
And the wiki on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast_VGA

It appears some are using some VGA o HDMI which could sidestep the rate issues. Given the part's age, those crystals and such can drift so nothing is a sure thing on old gear. Not saying that this is the issue but HDTVs are regressing in VGA capability. I can only guess you will remember when "Multi-Sync" VGA monitors came out.
Bob

CNET Forums