Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN40A550 Popping noise

by nodefargs / January 14, 2009 3:06 PM PST

I recently puchased this set from future shop as a package with the Samsung Blu-Ray and 5.1 Theatre in a box set. When I play normal DVDs in the blu-ray and watch cable shows through my Shaw HD box I get a loud random popping noise coming from the LCD panel speakers even though soundtrack and audio sound is not coming through them. It sounds like a static discharge and I'm worried it's damaging the speakers or internal circuits in the LCD display. It sounds like what happens to cheap Computer speakers after years of use. Should I return it? Is this worthy of a return under warranty.

It's incredibly loud much louder then the DVD or Cable audio sound coming through the Samsung Home theater reciever.

Initially I thought I'd solved it due to a loose power cable but it came back and that does not explain why its coming through the speakers.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN40A550 Popping noise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN40A550 Popping noise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Service
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2009 3:28 PM PST

nodefargs,

Thanks for your support of Samsung products. I'm sorry to hear that you're having these issues with your new set.

I would definitely consider getting the unit inspected by a service technician. This is not what I'd consider normal operation.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
LN40A550 Popping
by nodefargs / January 14, 2009 11:22 PM PST
In reply to: Service

Thanks for the assistance. I will keep you posted.
AM

Collapse -
Popping noise recommended solution
by nodefargs / January 15, 2009 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: Service

I phoned Samsung service today and they suggested I try moving my speakers farther apart. Apparently the Home Theater speaker magnets interfere with the TVs magnets if they are less then 5' apart. This will cause damage eventually to the TV speakers.

Those must be powerful magnets.

My question then is where do I put my center Channel speaker if it needs to be 5' away from the TV? Or is there a way to magnetically shield these speakers? I will try to move my speakers but I have limited space in which to do it.

I will let you know how this goes.

Collapse -
Samsung speaker popping
by pdxcamper / January 27, 2009 8:40 AM PST

I have a similar issue and am looking for some help. I have a Samsung 46" LCD model LN46A630 TV and I get loud popping out of the left tv speaker randomly while watching DVDs or cable TV. However, the sound for the movie/show is not coming out of the TV speakers but rather the stereo speakers and the volume on the TV is set to zero but the popping still occurs. The receiver is a Denon AVR-2809CI and it is connected to the TV via HDMI. Moving the home theater speakers more than 5' away seems unreasonable.

Any help appreciated.

Collapse -
Samsung LN40A550 popping noise
by nodefargs / May 12, 2009 11:23 AM PDT

I've found a temporary workaround that does not require moving speakers.The popping noise from the TV speakers are eliminated if you use the mute function. however you are then stuck with the mute icon floating around your screen as you watch movies.

Is there anyway Samsung might update the software to turn off the TV speakers when the AV system is running? Or perhaps just to stop the bouncing mute icon?

Regards,

AM

Collapse -
Turn off TV speakers?
by clicq / May 12, 2009 12:01 PM PDT

Can't you just turn off the TV speakers? (Go into the sound menu, select "TV Speaker", and set it to off).

Collapse -
Shielded speakers?
by MrDerbyUK / May 12, 2009 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Turn off TV speakers?

Are your home cinema speakers shielded properly? I read somewhere that some are not and can result in problems if close to the TV (CRTs that is as magnets make "fun" colours with those Happy

Collapse -
by eddychan8 / August 9, 2009 6:50 PM PDT

I have this exact same problem with the same model. Any word on a solution yet?

Collapse -
by thorntcl / September 29, 2009 11:56 AM PDT

I too am having the same problem. I bought the entire Samsung TV/Blue Ray/Amp/speaker system in January.

If their own speakers are not shielded properly it is their fault Happy

I tried moving the L and R speakers away from the tv and the center speaker away as well. This worked for a few days and then the popping came back. The only thing that works is the mute button. (but then you have that floating mute icon)
I've downloaded the latest firmware (1006.1) and still popping...

very annoying to say the least...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.