HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN37A450 PC input problem

by mortalim / April 8, 2010 12:39 PM PDT

HI, my TV does not recognize that my VGA cable is connected but my computer does...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN37A450 PC input problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN37A450 PC input problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at this!
by brett_windows_team / April 15, 2010 9:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Samsung LN37A450 PC input problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 16, 2010 9:12 PM PDT

mortalim,

The reason is likely because the pin assignments in the video cards of several manufacturers, actually. We had a lot of these complaints with the "A" series, and what's happening is that there's a ground pin that isn't telling the television that "hey, I'm a VGA signal, and I'm here! Accept my signal!". (In 2009 and moving forward, we turned the PC input into an "always on" connection so that the experience would be much more enjoyable).

There are three things you can do:

1. First, know - or learn - how to send video through your computer. Some people have laptops, and to output the video requires either a setting in the display drivers menu, or a FN+(F-key) combination. (Toshiba's are generally FN+F4, Sonys or Dells are FN+F7 or FN+F8, etc...)

2. Second and easiest - update the video card driver and retry step one.

If you plug the VGA in, and you can see your boot screen - and then it goes blank, then it's a Windows driver or the resolution is not set correctly.

If you see "Mode Not Supported", then the resolution isn't supported.

3. Try a different VGA cord. A cheap one may work just as well as an expensive one. It's worth trying.

OPTIONAL: Update the computer's BIOS. On several manufacturers - many of which I cannot name - the pin assignment was fixed, and a BIOS update was released for some computers that does fix this. This was a manufacturer's suggestion to a customer who posted that on the forums - this is NOT a recommendation from me officially. If you do NOT know what you are doing, seek keep from a professional, or do not do it.

Keep me posted. In almost all of the posts I've seen, one of these methods has garnered success.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.