Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN-T4661F - Picture Distortion & On Off Problem

by rmh1111 / October 5, 2010 1:30 AM PDT

I have an out of warranty Samsung 46' LCD that is having both of the problems discussed by many dissatisfied Samsung buyers. The picure distrotion problem started first about 6 weeks ago with horizontal and vertical lines distorting the left half of the picuture. After being on for awhile the picture would go back to perfect. We also noticed that if you physically tilted the screen to the left it sometimes solved the problem. It is now getting worse and often times does not clear up anymore. I've seen many people with this problem and they have mentioned possible fixes to: the T-CONN board, the LVDS Cable, a PCB board (?), and the Voltage Inverter. Not sure what any of these would cost to repair or which one is the likely source of the problem.

As for the turn on clicking problem which takes several minutes to eventually turn on, these appears to be a problem with the capacitors and is a widely known problem. I called Samsung to see if they would fix this at no costs because I had read that they had extended the warranty to repair this problem. I was told that they were repairing models manufactured between Oct. 2007 and June 2008. Guess what? -- I was out of luck because my set was manufactured in September 2007. Very frustrating and I am not a happy consumer. Any suggestions? The set was great when it was working and I would rather repair then buy a new one if the repair costs is not too expensive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN-T4661F - Picture Distortion & On Off Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN-T4661F - Picture Distortion & On Off Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You found the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 1:37 AM PDT

"turn on clicking problem which takes several minutes to eventually turn on,"

Now all you need to do is get the caps replaced. DO YOU DO YOUR OWN SOLDER WORK?

There are many discussions where we fix it ourselves.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=74902 is a good read and gives you an idea of the costs.

Figure under 100 if we DIY.
Bob

Collapse -
Picture Distortion the Bigger Problem
by rmh1111 / October 5, 2010 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: You found the problem.

Bob, I agree with you that from what I've seen the capacitor problem appears to be something you could do yourself -- although I don't have any soldering experience. (there's actually a youTube video with a guy and his young son making the repair in under 20 minutes of video time). My point with that problem is that it appears to be so widespread a problem that Samsung clearly put in faulty capacitors that they should be fixing regardless of the expiration of the 1 year warranty. And from what I was told by Samsung -- they will fix certain sets if it falls in the right manufacturing date. Not sure why there are cutting it off based on dates of manufacture. If its a global defect they should fix them all. Guess they are hoping we all buy another Samsung!?!

To me the bigger problem, is what is causing the picture distortion and how much will it cost to repair.

Collapse -
I'm just an electronics designer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 9:51 AM PDT

But my mind tells me that if the caps are bad, almost anything can be wonky. My mind also tells me to leave the unit off, and to remove the AC until the bad caps are replaced or suffer more damage to the set.

As to "regardless", that discussion is in another discussion so I won't start that up again.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?