TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Samsung LN-S4095D true 1080p?

by jmccardl / July 21, 2006 4:31 PM PDT

I was about to buy the new Samsung LN-S4095D until the guy working at Best Buy said that this TV cannot except a 1080p input through HDMI so it cannot produce a true 1080p picture. Is this true? He said it doesn't have an HDMI 1.3 input which won't come out til fall. ***?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN-S4095D true 1080p?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN-S4095D true 1080p?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is "true 1080p" and does it matter??????
by jcrobso / July 24, 2006 6:46 AM PDT

The term "true 1080p" is marketing FUD.
How the video signal is delivered to the HDTV is not all that important!!!! What the HDTV does with signal, how it processes and displies the video is important!!!
The only BBY guys that realy know what is what are the ones that are members of this fourm.
Only a HDMI 1.3 spec HD-DVD player can output 1080p/24, so unless you get one of thoes "true 1080p" dosen't matter anyway. John

Collapse -
Wrong info
by Pakman3000 / July 24, 2006 5:51 PM PDT

That guy is a noob. I work for Best Buy Home Theater and the 1.3 spec is firmware, not the cable! The B-RAY player is compliant and outputting a true 1080p source and the Samsung is compliant to accept the signal. The cable is innocent. People like this give out wrong info and ruin the customers experience.

Collapse -
First off....
by kena10 / July 26, 2006 12:37 AM PDT

Go to this site:

http://hdmi.org/resourcecenter/hdmi_1_3_faq.asp

Print that page, go to best buy, ask for the guy and his manager, show them ththe printout and tell him how much of an uninformed ******* he is and get him fired for telling you lies.

It really astounds me how uninformed people are and how they have the ability to spread lies to consumers.

Secondly, a television set whose NATIVE RESOLUTION is 1080p will ultimately produce a 1080p picture coming from an hd-dvd or blu-ray source, here's how:

Once the image leave the source, it gets downconverted to 1080i (because that's the highest input the tv will accept), then the image will get upconverted back to 1080p because that's the tv's native resolution. Since the original source was 1080p, you won't see any big difference in picture quality.

If you still want to get that tv set, go ahead, you won't be missing much just because your tv won't take in a 1080p signal.

As far as the hdmi 1.3 plug is concerned, the faq sectino addresses that question by plainly saying that it will be backwards compatible with previos version of hdmi and dvi.

Again, go to best buy and get that dude fired for being a moron.

Jimmy

Collapse -
Just FYI stuff,,,,
by jcrobso / July 26, 2006 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: First off....

When a 1080i is converted into 1080p the trem is deinterlaced.
Upconverting(rescaling) would be taking a 720p signal and upconveritng/rescalling it to 1080p.
Down converting/rescalling would be taking a 1080i/p singal and down convereting/rescaling it to 720p.
From an engeering point of view deinterlacing is much easer to do than rescaling.
When looking at HDTVs one of the first things to find out is the native resoulition of the set. All video will be rescaled and/or deinterlaced to that resoultion regardless of the format of the input signal. John

Collapse -
And...
by kena10 / July 26, 2006 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Just FYI stuff,,,,

your point is John? I was at work and didn't really have time to ponder the right terms. The guy needed help not a lecture.

Jimmy

Collapse -
I own the LN-S4095D
by 2143436756292931057199946 / December 20, 2006 2:19 AM PST

I own the TV you question.

This does handle/process/receive/displays/reads/understands 1080p.

Buy it! You'll like it.

HDMI 1.3 is not an important factor for 1080p, it's about color and audio. It's nice - don't get me wrong, but it's not a deciding factor. My XBOX 360 on 1080p output is AMAZING! Our 1080i HDTV on Discovery Channel is breathtaking.

Our first HDTV broadcast was a football game and you can see the sludge of the player's black ink below their eye and the scratches in their helmet.

YES! Some of the BB guys are infact morons as they know the basics and work there out of discount and the fun factor. Unfortunately, not most know about the product. I think he had one thing right that it's not a 1.3 HDMI, but it is a true (you could say) 1080p TV as it is written on the tv itself.

Collapse -
Samsung LN-S4095D
by f22-raptor / December 26, 2006 3:00 AM PST
Collapse -
More info
by f22-raptor / December 26, 2006 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung LN-S4095D
Collapse -
1080I and P FACT
by stewart norrie / December 26, 2006 5:46 AM PST

I have the new blue ray player. And fact is its stunning So is the picture I get on the Dish network 1080I sourse, My T.V is a 72" d.l.p. set I would say there might be a tiny difference between the two but on a smaller screen I doubt you would see anmy difference In closing I dont see why you all trip about 1080P and 1.3 My set up looks as good as 35m.m. you just cant get any better than that. and why would you ?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!