General discussion

Samsung Linkstick WIS09ABGN vs WIS09ABGN2 or something else?

I have done extensive research on the 2011 amsung Models and have decided to purchase the UN40D6300 model. Though I find conflicting reviews and opinions all over the internet including on the Samsung website on which linkstick to purchase for this model. The linkstick on the Samsung Website is the WIS09abgn2. I did the Samsung compatibility check on the website and it stated that this device is not compatible. The online stores such as Amazon state that these linksticks work with 08-10 models and some 11 models. Which stick is compatible??? Why is the so hard to find this information? (As I have never had to post on a blog before to get an answer, this is highly frushtrating!). I highly recommend Samsung update their own website to be more clear. And just have to sa in closing I find it very anti-consumer of samsung to have a TV that is "WIFI ready" and not incldue a 40 dollar component which would cost samsung in the factory what 2 dollars to install??

Anyway if anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Samsung Linkstick WIS09ABGN vs WIS09ABGN2 or something else?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung Linkstick WIS09ABGN vs WIS09ABGN2 or something else?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Anyone?
- Collapse -
Linkstick

Regardless of what the website says about the compatibility of the linkstick, the WIS09ABGN, WIS09ABGN2 and WIS10ABGN will work with your TV. If you have a problem with the web site, I'm sure you may contact the web master. Send an email. Perhaps no one has pointed out this blatant problem? If you do so, the we master will see to it that the problem gets corrected.

As far as "WIFI ready" goes, it is a term used by electronic manufacturers for marketing purposes. It simply means that the WIFI ready device has the inner hardware to support a wireless connection but a module/adapter is still needed to complete the connection. It is much the same as a laptop/netbook/notebook needing a mobile dongle/linkstick to connect if a router or hotspot is out of range.

Actually it is not anti-consumer to make all TVs WIFI ready simply because ALL consumers do not want WIFI. IMO it is pro-consumer to offer both options so the customer may make the choice. Some Samsung models have WIFI built in, then no linkstick is needed.

Hope this sheds some light.

TQ

CNET Forums