Question

Samsung LED TV doesn't show updated HDD folders

Hi
I have a xxx LED tv. Y plugged my external USB hard drive and was able to view movies and pics stored in it. Then I plugged it in my computer and deleted some folders and also added new folders. After doing this I plugged it again in the TV and it didn't show the changes. The new folders appear but I can't access them. The deleted folders still show up and also can't access them.
I can't get it to correctly show the changes made in the hard drive. I even re-formatted it (NTFS), and the TV still shows the original status!
It seems like the TV remembers the folders as they were the first time the HDD was plugged and just can't update to show the changes.
Any ideas on how to solve this?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung LED TV doesn't show updated HDD folders
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung LED TV doesn't show updated HDD folders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
This thread from 2011 is closed.

There are many good workarounds here so without fuss, it's time to close this thread.

- Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Sorry I forgot to write the model, it is: UN40D5500
- Collapse -
Answer
HDD updated folders problem

I got the same problem, I have a UN40D6000SF. I tried switching to a different USB port, after that it showed one of the files (out of a few) in the newly created folder. Totally weird

- Collapse -
Answer
External HDD & LED Samsung

I've talked to Samsung support, they say LED TVs act weird with all external HDDs over 160 Gb, they recommended breaking down the hard drive into a few partitions so that at least one of them will be less than 160 Gb, which I did and it did solve the problem!

- Collapse -

hi i have the samsung LED/LCD D6100

I found an answer to problem with external HDD

The deleted folders still show up and also can't access them.I can't get it to correctly show the changes made in the hard drive.
ANSWER Cool

IF YOU SWITCH TO PHOTO MODE THE TV WILL START LOADING ICON,
GOTO ANY FOLDER ON HDD

LET TV LOADING LOGO SPIN FOR A MINUTE OR TWO

THEN DO SAME ON MUSIC MODE

THEN GO BACK TO FOLDERS FOR MOVIES

AND THE TV WILL HAVE REFRESHED ITSELF AND NOT ONLY WILL YOU SEE YOUR NEW FILES,
BUT IT WILL ALSO GOT RID OF DELETED ICONS FROM BEFORE.

HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU

SINGY

- Collapse -
No Go

You know this sounded like a seriously great fix ... and when I went to music and photos it displayed the ACTUAL folder now on the external HDD they appeared in both music & pictures but as soon as I went back to video all my existing folders re appeared .. and the new folders did not

- Collapse -

I too had that problem,I think it maybe that your HD drive is really full.
Do the same thing going into pictures and music folders
BUT REALLY STAY AND PLAY SOME MUSIC AND PICTURES TOO.
It really works
i did it on a 2terbye harddrive when it got full

singy

- Collapse -
HDD Upadate

Thanks my drive currently has nothing but videos so I will shortly stick some photos & music upon and see if the results improve - Stay tuned and thanks

- Collapse -
Not able to see new folders and files on HDD

No too impressed with Samsung Samrt TV - MY HDD was loaded with folders/movies - I deleted all files /folders and replaced them with other files and folders .. But what ever I do I still cannot get to my video within these folders - I've since added photos & music, and when browseing in these sections I can see the new folders ... but when I go back to video all my old folders and files appear.... Driving me mad .. I have renamed the HDD with no success .. Found Reset under tools when choosing my HDD as a source and still no succees .. The drive is correct as when I plug it into my Samsung Smart Bluray Player it works a treat - So how on earth do we clear the cache of the TV ...??????????????

- Collapse -
hdd harddrive

did u player a couple of songs in each music folder and same with picture folders
will take at least 3 to five minutes

singy

- Collapse -
HHD

Well I loaded one song and MP3 - But I'll go and try with multiple songs and photos and let you know the outcome .. Stay tuned

- Collapse -
Whooshka!!

So I loaded about 20 MP3's & 20 Jpegs onto the HDD .. Plugged in and it immediately recognised the new folder and files - Did not even have to play the files .... Thanks so much Singy - Luv ya work! Happy

- Collapse -
HHD

More the hard drive gets full more multiple songs and pictures you will have to play for it see new stuff and delete old folders.glad to hear that it worked out for you.

singy

- Collapse -
You, Sir,...

... are tru gentleman by shring this information.
Thank you very much!

- Collapse -
HDD updated folder

Thank you so much your post really help!!!

- Collapse -
Thank You!!!

Accessing the music and photo folders and scrolling around in them then backing out and going to the movie folder worked like a champ on my Samsung plasma. Thank you the blank folders were working the hell out of my ocd.

- Collapse -
This has helped

Tried all the suggestions here to get the file list updated on Samsung TV. This one finally solved the issue - I can see the same movie files on TV as in my PC

- Collapse -
It's certainly not just LED tvs (mine's a plasma)

and Samsung should be embarrassed to call these Smart tvs... I mean *maybe* if they documented that they require a partition < 160G??

I didn't even know you could partition an external drive - who does that!!??

Nevertheless, I'll spend some hundreds of hours moving all my files between disks so I can create partitions as requested, then I'll come back here to say thank you, or *really* peeved. Happy

wouldn't it be better for samsung to just fix the problem?

- Collapse -
Answer
Fix for HDD won't update

First of all, will you people stop thread-jacking and making their be tons of replies when all you stupid people have to offer is the same stupid complaint and no solution. The poster is looking for an answer and he probably won't even see mine because you a**holes all want to say " yea me too same problem". Go fuc*ing by a pet if you need someone to listen to you. Losers. Now, the solution, hopefully the original poster gets this, there are too many files on the HDD for samsung TV to read. It may even tell you at some point: "there are too many files to read, some may not appear". That is what led me to figure out this problem that was killing me to. The HDD just won't update. Even hundreds of songs was not a problem, but then I found that there were a couple of files that contained like 17,000 to 18,000 files in a folder for some programs I had stored on the HDD. I took those off the HDD, rar'd them up and put them back on the HDD and immediately the problem went away and has never come back. This was on the partition #2 of my 1 TB HDD. It helps if before-hand you separate the HDD into at least 2 partitions. So in short, the problem is not how many gigabytes you have on the HDD, it's how many files that the samsung TV has to freakin read. It used to take forever for that bad partition to try to update and then fail to, until I took off those couple of 18,000 file folders, then I plugged the HDD into the TV and in like 30 seconds everything updated perfectly. Looks like the Samsung "Smart TVs" aren't so smart after all...huh?

- Collapse -
Answer
Oh I forgot to say something...

About what the one guy said about switching to the photo or music folder, I had tried that and if you are lucky it will only temporarily update some of the changes you made to the HDD. You have to limit the # of FILES actually on the HDD, even if they are in folders it doesn't matter. Take them off, "iso" them or "rar" them but you cannot have thousands and thousands of even small files on the HDD or you WILL HAVE this problem I guarantee it. Good Luck

- Collapse -
been said before

yeah we heard that before, so now who's wasting everybody's time. Our point is, you can't call in a smart tv and then have it ignore extra files because we exceeded some undocumented limit.

- Collapse -
Thanks for that.

I've offered some odd limits before to prior discussions. The number I use is 99. That's because of old 2 digit displays so you keep your file and folder counts to 99 each folder and 99 max folders.

Some consumers are not going to accept this.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
I have found the answer to problem

Hello,I am from Greece and I have found the way to solve the problem.
When you connect TV with HDD everything will be correct refreshed-recognised.

1) Make any changes you want on HDD via your PC,write-delete enything you want on HDD and the connect to the Smart TV.
2) When you see the label "VIDEOS" the TV tries to refresh the page,but don't wait,go immediatelly to label "PHOTOS" and leave it fully refresh (4 minutes)
3) Then go to label "VIDEOS" and leave it fully refresh (1 minute)
4) Everything is correctly refreshed.

IT IS THE ONLY WAY !
---------------------------------
Although..

This is not very good way to make your TV read the HDD content because you lose 5 minutes.
Maybe another solution to the problem is...to create 3 files with Capitals

"VIDEOS"
"PHOTOS"
"MUSIC"

And everything you want just drop it in the appropriate folder.Maybe this works immediatelly.Try it!

- Collapse -
Answer
Factory Reset

I spent 3 hours and tried everything on this list. None of it work.

I would try the above first, but if that doesn't work, then this option did work for me. A factory reset. This is sort of the nuclear bomb option because you loose everything stored on the TV, like your netflix account and calibration settings, so only do this if your are ready to start from ground zero, but like I said it did work for me when nothing else did.

(I have a D6000)

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=5306&prd_ia_cd=N0000058&map_seq=31175

- Collapse -
Answer
work around

I know this thread is old but I still found it trying to find a solution so I assume other people will as well. This isn't a full solution but a work around. if you out another flash drive in the other USB port, then turn the tv off and on, it will read the HDD you are interested in correctly. After which you can unplug the flash drive and it will carry on working just fine, until you unplug the HDD. Next time you plug the HDD in it will show the original file structure from the very first time you used and you need to do the trick with the USB stick again.

I don't know why this works but it just does. I'm still trying to find a proper solution but in the mean time I have to do this. My tv is a UE46D5520. I hope this helps somebody.

- Collapse -
Answer
Samsung updated folders problem

I've had the same problem, and been trying to fix it for a while.
I've recently found a fix that works for me.
Right click on the folders or files that aren't showing and "select share" with then "Nobody"
If it is a folder it should have a lock appear on the folder.
Next right click again and select "specific people".
In the drop down box click "Everyone" then click add to add Everyone to the list, then click share.
When you next connect to the Network from your Samsung TV you should see the files.
Hope this works for you

Cheryl

- Collapse -
Answer
Genuine Solution

I stumbled across the solution quite by accident, but it's fairly simple to do.

I'm using a Sony Smart TV but the TV isn't the issue whatsoever, which is why most of these solutions do not work. The solution is in the media server of you NAS. I have a D-Link NAS, but again, I don't think it matters.

Go to your NAS's web page where you would make changes to your NAS.

There should be a section for UPnP Server. Select this section, and in there, you should see a choice to "Refresh" this server. It will repopulate your server (don't worry, it won't erase any data whatsoever.)

That's it! You're good to go.

- Collapse -
Q

Wow. You people really are something else. What a sad state of affairs we are in where a manufacturer does not even have ONE PERSON to respond to a FIVE YEAR OLD PROBLEM STILL OCCURRING ON THEIR TV"S!!!

And you, you make me literally sick. DID YOU EVEN READ THE POST?! I know that you're not a real consumer, just some hired gun working out of a sweat shop in Mumbai, India basically polluting our Internet stream of conciousness with your fake BS posts. Who is paying you?

CNET? I would demand my money back for pathetic quality level of 'black hat' forum filling nonsense.

READ FIRST!!!!

THEY ARE USING A USB DRIVE!!! Like seriously? What does UPnP have to do with anything?!?

It's just truly disgusting to me that a company can sell this crap, and have absolutely no sense of responsibility to their consumers. What a joke.

P.S. NONE OF YOUR SOLUTIONS WORK, and frankly I wouldn't even attempt them since it's obvious many of you have not even read what the issues is.

IT'S U - S - B - DRIIIIIIVEE....not a network, not wireless, USB.

well. I must thank you all, waking up and not being able to sleep I came here, and now readying through this, literally, poop show, has made tired enough to finally be able to get some sleep.

- Collapse -
Members posted that.

I'm unsure why you didn't notice Odysseas-Greece's post above.

Save your ire for the big issues like Flint, Michigan and governments that fail at the basics.

- Collapse -
This solution works for UPnP

Although it doesn't solve the solution faced by those with a USB drive, I can say that as someone running a UPnP server on a NAS (2TB) connected via ethernet, the 'refresh' of the server from the NAS controls did the trick for me.

I went from having a listing on the TV that included a bunch of deleted folders, to having a correct listing.

CNET Forums

Forum Info