General discussion

Samsung le40M87 - black crircles

I have a mystery that i cannot find an answer to yet. I have 8 solid circles mainly at the bottom of my lcd tv screen. They are about 2 to 3 inches wide and solid black. Strangley 3 of them have started to move up and the picture is fine where they were. I do have pictures but don't know how I can upload, but any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung le40M87 - black crircles
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung le40M87 - black crircles
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

sweetibiza,

You can upload photos to www.imageshack.us or photobucket and post the links here. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what I'll be able to assist with even if you did, based on the description.

I'd recommend having a technician inspect the symptom.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Samsung LE40M87 - Black cricles
- Collapse -
Samsung LE40M87 - Black cricles

sweetibiza,

I've never seen that before, but I can certainly appreciate where you might consider that disruptive.

Does that happen on every input, or just the one where you're watching TV?

If it's just the one input where you're watching TV, have you tried resetting the cable/sat box?

--HDTech

- Collapse -

It happens on every input. Wii, PS3, Sky, Cable box, Media player, so a screen problem...the mystery is that that as you can see the dots have moved and where they were the picture is ok and in one position another dot started forming and growing!

- Collapse -

sweetibiza,

Well, it's not often that I say "I've never seen that" on the boards - I usually get to see a little bit of everything. I have no idea what the problem might be. But if the symptom is that the black circles are moving, and the places where the spots used to be are displaying okay, it may be an issue with one of the electronic boards behind the panel and not the panel itself. Considering the cost of a replacement panel can be pretty high, this is actually news that works in your favor.

Now while this is far from being any sort of actual diagnosis, it may indicate how you might proceed. I'd recommend calling the Samsung customer service center in your area to have your unit inspected. Unfortunately, there's no troubleshooting tips that I can offer.

There is one, actually. I might try resetting the unit by, with the TV powered ON, press and hold the EXIT button on the remote for 15 seconds to see if you're prompted with an option to, "RESET?" If so, press YES and you'll be prompted to go back through the initial factory set up. I have no idea if this would work or not, but it may be worth trying prior to calling and having a service set up. That's the best I can offer.

--HDTech

- Collapse -

SO...My sanity is intact!!! At least I have baffled the expert!

I did do the reset and this did not do anything. I don't know how LCD's work, but it's like there is no picture colour being able to be displayed in those areas so the lights blend to make the black colour. Even stranger is that when the TV is off you can actually see the circles on the screen like screen burn, but again where the spots have moved there are no shadows or typically screen burn!

I've only had the TV for 3 yrs and have had the TV power 'clicky' fault, then a speaker fault..all of which were capacitor related. The TV is out of it's 1 yr warranty and so no free call out. I have to pay out for an engineer now to fix a TV where I'll have to pay parts for that I could fix myself as they probably won't know what is wrong either.

- Collapse -

sweetibiza,

Well, I can't assist with non-US products, unfortunately.

But try calling them and explaining that the LCD shows the symptom even when it's off. They may still deny a one-time service - and technically, they can - but it's worth trying.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
samsung screen

I was wandering if you ever got your tv fixed. I have those same cirles at the sides of my tv screen, I'm not sure if it is a coincidence but a couple days before it happened I caught my 6 year old spraying water on it. Said she was washing it.

- Collapse -
Black Circles on my Samsung as well.

I would love to upload my pictures but don't see where to do so. Woke up one morning with large black circles down the left and right side of our SAMSUNG LCD HD TV. We have an extended warranty however, Bransmart refuses to honor it because they insist it's physical damage we caused. That TV has not been touched for 2 years since it arrived new. Please help!

- Collapse -
It appears you are digging up many old discussions.

Let's continue with the one from 2011.

This thread is now closed.

- Collapse -
Samsung LN52A750R1E black circles - appeared out of nowhere!

Here are my pictures: http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h475/Cyndi423/Samsung%20Fail/

Note: The Extended warranty technician refuses to honor claim as he states it is physical damage. I guarantee you that it was never touched in the 2 years it's been sitting on that stand. These anomalies showed up suddenly one morning when the TV was turned on.

CNET Forums

Forum Info