General discussion

Samsung LE40B650 not connecting to Windows 7 PC

I am having major difficulty connecting my Samsung LE40B650 to my Windows 7 Professional PC. I am trying to stream content from the PC to the TV, but the TV is not visible as a device on my PC, and on the TV the PC is not visible in the DLNA source list.

I am running Windows 7 Professional on a desktop PC. The PC is connected wirelessly to my router. The TV is connected via ethernet. I have installed Samsung PC Share Manager, but the problem seems to be that the TV is not coming up in the device list. When I search for devices on my network, my PC can't see the TV at all. I have tried connecting the PC via ethernet to the same router as the TV, and I have also tried turning off my firewall, but still the PC can't see the TV.

My housemate has a Windows 7 Home Premium laptop, and when he turns it on the TV can see the laptop in the source list. It is shown as a DLNA source. Furthermore, I have installed PC Share Manager on the laptop, and it has connected fine to the TV. I have successfully streamed music and movies from the laptop to the TV. The laptop was connected wirelessly and the TV vie ethernet.

Trying exactly the same thing on my desktop didn't work. When I do 'set device policy' in Samsung Share Manager, it doesn't see the TV. When I go to 'discover devices' in the device manager on Windows, it doesn't see the TV either. No idea what to try next. I assume it can't be as simple as a firmware update because it is already working fine on the laptop, just not on the desktop! Any help or suggestions that anyone can give me would be great. Thanks in advance for any light that anyone can shed on this incredibly frustrating situation that has been plaguing me for months now!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Samsung LE40B650 not connecting to Windows 7 PC
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung LE40B650 not connecting to Windows 7 PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
DLNA

Try connecting the TV to the router or PC by direct cable rather than wireless. Some routers will block the discovery packets from transmission over wireless.

- Collapse -
re: DLNA

I tried connecting the PC to the router via ethernet cable, so that I had both the PC and the TV connected to the router by ethernet.

When I did this, both the TV and the PC could get on the internet. My PC was browsing web pages OK and the TV was able to load internet widgets. However, when I opened up Samsung's 'PC Share Manager' software the TV still wasn't in the devices list.

I haven't tried connecting the PC directly to the TV via ethernet cable - do you really think this might work? I assume I would need a cross-over ethernet cable to do this?

- Collapse -
DLNA

Cross-over cables are seldom necessary with modern kit. You may need static IP addresses, though it might be OK if you change over without re-booting. Disable the firewall again. Direct connection would determine if the router was the problem.

Which version of PCSM do you have? 2.something is needed for B-series. There are later versions for C-series that may not work.

- Collapse -
re: DLNA

Not sure what PCSM version I have, will check when I get home this evening. I'm pretty sure it should be a late enough version, as the whole PC - TV streaming thing is working fine if I use my housemate's laptop instead of the desktop PC.

CNET Forums

Forum Info