HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LE32B651T screwing up 1080P thru HDMI!!!????

by Pensive666 / July 9, 2009 1:58 AM PDT

Background:
Gigabyte Radeon HD4670 w/ VGA, DVI nd HDMI outs. Also includes soundcard device to send audio through hdmi port.

Samsung LE32B651T 1080P LCD tv (new).

Samsung HTZ320 DVD player with built in 5.1 amplifier + speakers.

Connections:
Optical from TV output to DVD player TOSLink input.
HDMI from PC to tv providing video and sound

The Problem:
Using HDMI everything works (sound + video) but as soon as I go over 1650x1080 in res, the telly starts shrinking the image a bit so it doesnt fill the screen and it looks poor. 1920x1080 (1080p) works, the screen displays the correct res @ 50hz on its litle pop up overlay, but it scales the displayed image down, and looks awful. Tried enabling and disabling every setting on the planet. Still have 1cm at top middle and bottom, and the image is hardware scaled down a touch. Colouration is also ruined.

Add to all of this the new blu ray drive for my media PC and you see the problem; Using a standard VGA cable it looks OK @ 1080P - not perfect - a little muddy to be honest, but it fills the TV screen and displays every pixel. Problem is that I need HDCP to work with my new blu ray drive. I tried using an adapter from the DVI port - I had the same problem as the HDMI @ 1080P, but lost HDCP support. As you will know I need HDCP to play blu-rays with PowerDVD.

Can anyone suggest how to make the samsung telly work properly with HDMI? There is no logical reason for it to be processing the signal incorrectly. This occurs whether I am playing back copyrighted (HDCP) material or not (same for gaming). I firmly believe it is the television and not the graphics card. Can anyone help; Might a firmware update help? I am a little nervous about flashing the telly without good reason.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LE32B651T screwing up 1080P thru HDMI!!!????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LE32B651T screwing up 1080P thru HDMI!!!????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung LE32B651T screwing up 1080P thru HDMI!!!????
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 9, 2009 4:58 AM PDT

Pensive666,

Have you changed the name of the HDMI input to "PC", and then try the Just Scan feature? It will drop some of the processing and just show what the computer is sending.

As far as HDCP and a HDPC with a Blu-Ray drive, I can't speak on the limitations.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Tried that
by Pensive666 / July 11, 2009 6:48 PM PDT

MY telly doesnt have a "Just Scan" feature, but it does have a "Game Mode" which I tried. Naming the input "PC" improved the appearance a bit - but didnt solve the problem. Colouration was better, and it appeared to be smoothly scaled down instead of the harsh resize it was doing before, but it was still resized.

Selecting DVI, DVI/PC, or Game Mode all resulted in poor colouration and the same resizing problem as before, with a much harsher looking resize. Is there another function I have missed?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.