Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung-LE19R86 - Scary lights!

by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 17, 2009 5:24 AM PDT

Hi Samsung Techs, hope you can 'shed any light' on this, (sorry for the pun).

I'm in the UK and treated myself to a Samsung LE19R86 - 19'' Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview - Black for the bedroom. I didn't need anything flash, just a TV with the UK's Freeview, for when we go digital in this area next year.

Here's an image of it from Amazon-UK, although I purchased it from a different retailer;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE19R86-Widescreen-Ready-Freeview/dp/B000VBKVOS/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_image_1

It's great, it does what I ask it to do, except make the tea in the morning, but perhaps that's too much for me to ask.

If you look at the image, do you see the nice blue light display at the bottom of the screen? That's scary.

After watching some late night TV one night, I turned the set off, (into standby using the remote), then went to sleep. That blue light faded away as it usually did. I was woken up an hour or so later, to a blue sheen in the bedroom. When I looked, that blue light display was on!

It's happened a couple of times now. What's that all about? Is it watching me as I watch the TV? Is it watching me at other times? I hope not. I wouldn't like to think what it has caught me doing! Not that I do anything of course.

Any ideas? Can I tape it over so it doesn't keep spying on me? Happy

Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung-LE19R86 - Scary lights!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung-LE19R86 - Scary lights!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung-LE19R86 - Scary lights!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 17, 2009 5:39 AM PDT

MarkFlax,

Thanks for purchasing a Samsung.

The blue light is a motion detector that senses when you get up in the morning, and sends a signal that tells the tea-pot to start warming up. You must not have a Blu-Tea compliant device in the kitchen. Wink

Okay, okay, that was a joke.

The Blue light is an aesthetic, and while I can't explain why it turns on - (could it be that your television is in shop mode?) - you can disable it in the setup menu. If it turns off and turns back on, my guess is that you are indeed in the shop mode.

Do your settings stay put? Or do they change back to factory settings after 30 minutes?

Check the following link to get your television out of shop mode:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?messageID=3045739&tag=forums06;posts#3045739

Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
LOL
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 17, 2009 5:53 AM PDT

If only it could do that.

OK, I'll try what you said about shop-mode. I'm sure it isn't in shop mode because it doesn't lose its settings at any time, but I'm game for anything.

Hmmm. I wonder if I should rephrase that.

I'll try that tonight.

Mark

Collapse -
Reporting back.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 17, 2009 8:12 PM PDT
In reply to: LOL

Hi again Tech.

I did as you suggested. By pressing the Vol - Up once and the Menu button for 15 seconds, I believe I have taken the set out of shop mode, if it was in the mode to begin with. There wasn't any indication that it did this, in fact nothing happened.

I say nothing happened. Happy The set caught fire, spread to my bedroom, then my whole house. I ran out of the house with no clothes on and was arrested by a passing policeman for exposing myself in public. The neighbor is suing me because the fire spread to his house and it burnt down. My house insurance ran out yesterday and I hadn't renewed it. The fire engine couldn't get close enough to the house because my car was in the way, so they crashed into it with the fire tender to move it away. I had no insurance on the car because it had expired as well.

Amazingly the set survived, and that blue light was shining, so I went into the menu options to turn it off. I will let you know if it appears as a ghostly apparition in the darkest night again.

Devil

Thanks muchly for the help. Like I said before, I'm really pleased with the set, {muchly, old English word}.

Mark

Collapse -
Reporting back.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 19, 2009 1:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Reporting back.

MarkFlax,

I can just see the headline tomorrow:

Lad Loses Livelihood as Landfire Leaps, Luxury-car Leveled, Loose Loins. Locals Likely to Levy Lucrative Litigation for Losses. LCD, Lucky.

Thanks for the exchange Mark. Happy Let us know if we can help further.

--HDTech

Collapse -
ROFL.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 19, 2009 8:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Reporting back.

I like it.

All seems good so far. Thanks for your help.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.