TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Samsung LCDhas seem real issues that need to be looked into.

by TheBrandon / February 10, 2008 12:26 AM PST

After reading the many reviews on various websites regarding Samsungs quality of their 61/65/66 series I decided to take the plunge. I picked up a LN-T5265F. To my surprise I noticed that the picture quality was extremely disappointing. Upon further calibration and research I was starting to understand how hopeless this set may be. After some extensive checking I stumbled across the avsforum were many elite users assemble to discuss everything from internal components and what makes a picture look good to calibrations and trouble shooting. I was not alone.

Here the state of Samsungs LCDs.

1) Current reviews are not worth anything. Samsung is no longer using the higher end panels and are going with a much cheaper version. This has been proved by going to www.samsungparts.com and comparing the panel types specs and part numbers they used in thier original TVs. 10 bit is now 8 bit. If a person wanted to check what their panel was they could look in on the top vent facing the front of the TV on the left and down they could get the part number.

2) Also with as far as panels, they are now using different Processors. This can be identifed by the service menu. mute-1-8-2 power. They are using the Genesis Cortez as opposed the the Trident SPV-LX.

I wanted to make these faqs known that if you see a Samsung in store that looks awesome it may definitely not look like that when you get it home.

Samsungs support is extremely low level. If you are lucky enough not to get hung up on, don't be shocked if you know more about the set then their Tier 2 support.

I currently own 4 HDTVs and the Samsung is least impressive. If you get one home and don't like it, take it back and exchange. Don't expect their outsourced techs to really help. Just a heads up.

There are alot of people that LOVE their Samsung LCDs. They probably are amazing sets.... depending on the parts that have in theirs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCDhas seem real issues that need to be looked into.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCDhas seem real issues that need to be looked into.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A pretty much given is that Samsung customer service is very
by NM_Bill / February 10, 2008 1:20 AM PST

lacking.

There are a lot of impressive knowledge over at avs forums, but one glaring situation is people so absorbed by lowest possible price that they forego any sort of professional installation, calibration, adjustment & homeowner instructions.

Yes, I would agree many folks have been disappointed by the uneven competence level they have paid good money for (mainly at the big box places with intials BB or CC.) My experience was with an independent dealer with lots of higher end stuff. The negotiated price was an entire package & considering the unfamiliar territory, seems wise to me. I got pretty good discounts for receiver, speaker set. It adds up to a sensible way to go. The extra "service" did not cost much.

As a matter of fact, I do have a perfectly fine Samsung. It took repair just after warranty (of course) to get it that way. I believe the repair was needed to have the set assembled the way it should have in the first place.

An inconsistency I note here is that people should be able to wind up with as good a Samsung picture as they did see in the store. It would be completely misleading to deliver an inferior Sammmy series unit if they bought on the basis of the display unit. No matter how many bits there are, the set must be capable of the same picture in a home as the showroom. Some sort of pro installation & calibration may very well be needed. Of course the store HD feed should be expected to be good.

And in general, I caution folks from just jumping into LCD sets because they are most featured now in showrooms. Makers apparently believe strongly in maximizing them for fatter profit margins. I have a asmaller screen LCD that is just fine, but I wouldn't want (at least at this particular stage of development) a huge LCD as my primary set. Unnatural looking attempts at compensating for fast motion blur will be totally avoided by me. I just don't need to go look for trouble.

It was not long ago that Samsung was regarded as a second tier maker. They have invested heavily & marketed aggresively. Perhaps it is their quality control & customer service that have lagged.

I might note that, among avaialble technologies, rear projection is being strongly curtailed. Many folks should be pursuing the remaining Sony SXRDs. They show companies can make that type very well. Sony just kept losing money trying to do it. When a performance level was important to achieve, it might just cost way too much to make them. So high volume LCD production is cheaper. Their performance just may relfect that too.

Collapse -
it is what it is.
by TheBrandon / February 10, 2008 1:51 AM PST

"An inconsistency I note here is that people should be able to wind up with as good a Samsung picture as they did see in the store. It would be completely misleading to deliver an inferior Sammmy series unit if they bought on the basis of the display unit. No matter how many bits there are, the set must be capable of the same picture in a home as the showroom. Some sort of pro installation & calibration may very well be needed. Of course the store HD feed should be expected to be good."

This is not an inconsistancy. I completely agree with a properly calibrated set one could achieve a better overall picture. This applies to any set. What is happening is a person could have a small issue like HDMI drop out and contact Samsung for repair only to have their original board replaced by something that is performing less. Its like expecting a Corvette go as fast as it would normally if you put a stock 2.0 liter in it. Not gonna perform the same.

Why do you think the higher end models like the 69 and 71 series look better? For starters, 10 bit panels. Aside from that, the bottomline is they are NOT using the original parts and the picture quality is taking a direct hit as a result. This is not an isolated case. People that have multiple Samsung TVs have verified with both picture, part numbers, and service menu settings that the units being sent out with the recent panels, (not so recent) mainboards (Genesis Cortez Processor) and firmware are suffering a HUGE loss in image quality.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?