Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LCD Powering On and Off - Samsung is a JOKE

by SamsungTVsSuck / April 26, 2010 11:08 AM PDT

My 46 inch A550 series Samsung LCD TV has reached the ripe old age of 14 months and is now experiencing what so many others have. It is cycling itself on and off every 30 seconds. This TV sits in front of my treadmill in the basement and only has about 100 hours of usage.

I called Samsung and spoke to the customer service rep and her supervisor, both of whom just spouted the company line and said it requires service and that this is on my dime. I patiently explained that any product designed to fail (as evidenced by all of the unhappy customers with this issue) should be fixed at the company's expense and not at the consumers. However, these reps are well trained to adhere to policy and just say it is normal. I have tons of electronic equipment and this is the quickest failure I personally have ever seen.

Anyway, I am wondering if there is a class action lawsuit or if anyone has reached out to any consumer affairs reporters to find one interested in taking on the Evil Corporation vs. lowly consumer problem. I will do it myself, if necessary, but if some other aggrieved party has already done some of this work, there is no need for me to duplicate it. I was thinking an ad in a few publications referencing Samsung's crap quality and inability to stand by their products that clearly have engineering defects (with references to sites such as this) could become a headache for them. I will never buy another POS from them. I am just thankful this piece of crap was only $1200.

Any help is appreciated.

Signed
Pissed Off in Kennett Square, PA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCD Powering On and Off - Samsung is a JOKE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCD Powering On and Off - Samsung is a JOKE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung is a joke
by 74Vegaracr / April 27, 2010 10:39 AM PDT

We have a 40" lcd samsung flat screen that has just started doing exactly the same thing, cycling on and off about every 30 sec. I'm in Thornton, Pa., just up thr road from Kennet. Wonder how many more of us are in the area. Will be calling help line tomorrow

Collapse -
Samsung LCD powering on and off by itself
by qqhuang99 / May 3, 2010 1:01 PM PDT

I had exact same problem with my LN46A550 and it is only 15 months old. I called Samsung CS and complained and got transfered to their Customer Relationship Dept. I spoke with several supervisors and got the same answer that my product is out-of-warrenty and is out of the free repaire guide line as well. Obviously, the same model made after certain dates will be covered. Like you said, this is known manufactuer defect and they do not stand behind their products. I am also thinking what we can do as consumers. I posted a negative review on Amazon.com. Let me know if there is a class action lawsuit or if there is anything we can do to tell other consumbers not to buy Samsoung products.

Collapse -
Same model number same issue
by mnr1117 / November 1, 2010 1:29 PM PDT

I have the exact same issue, 2 months after the warranty went up in smoke, so did the piece of garbage samsung. sad for them, I would have been a lifelong customer. Recently bought a 1200$ washing machine, and passed up samsung because of it. Never ever ever again, I sent them an email and it was in a threatining tone, Im also seeking vlass action lawsuits, as I have heard 1 was filed but cannot find it anywhere. People have gotten free fixes, so why their reps are denying their crap products is just as stunnning as their tv quality. Word of mouth goes far, I review everything I purchase, and sadly I gave this pile of plastic a raving review a year ago. What a regret.
Same issue though, wont go on, wont stay on... on off flicking crud. I will post the reply I get on here.

Collapse -
LN32A450C1D powers up and sometimes doesn't ..recycling
by xspence70 / November 1, 2010 10:33 PM PDT

This set was purchased in Feb. 2009. It has a power problem that requires it to take a rest every 4 or 5 days . It is about 5 months off warranty. After reading about Samsung doing a one time fix on these problems , I called them and gave all the info on set and the problem. After consultation the gentleman in the call centre told me they would have a tech come to my home to do a 1 time repair. Sounded good to me . I received a copy of the work order by email and called the repair shop to set up a time for the repair. I was told they only do house calls on sets 40 and bigger, and I would have to take it to the shop . I did that ...about a 1.5 hour drive from my home . After 5 days, the shop called and said it was not a capacitor problem , the power board would have to be replaced at a cost of $155 to me....not Samsung. I called Samsung and after being shunted from the initial call center to an oriental sounding one, I was told, because the set was not built in 2008 , they couldn't do anything for me (bought in Mar.2009). ...They were "so sorry" that I was not aware that it had to be built in 2008. From what I have been reading, Samsung better improve its quality assurance and provide better customer service or they will soon become a big joke.So , I still don't know whether I have been fleeced by the repair shop(replacing power board instead of a 5 buck capacitor).or the victim of Samsung's poor quality and customer service. One thing is certain, my next electronic purchase of any sort will not be a Samsung..

Collapse -
Different model, same problem
by hmodica / December 6, 2010 1:07 PM PST

I am having the same problem with my LN46A750. Just stopped working properly out of the blue -- no problems up to that point, and I'd say I was happy with the TV until this happened. Samsung's customer service has been terrible. They did offer the service call to check and replace the capacitors -- like you this was not the solution, and the repair person claimed the board is bad. (He did show me the capacitors after removing the cover, and they did not appear to be damaged). I was quoted a repair price of $400+ for my set.. on a TV that was purchased 23 months ago for $1600.

I've called Samsung again and asked to speak to a escalation or executive customer service group. I was promised a call back today -- well 12AM ET now and no call. I have no reason to believe they will do anything.

What a waste. I will most likely NOT pay $400 more into this set -- especially since the repair will be done with the same faulty boards that will just break again eventually! -- and will buy a TV from one of their competitors.

All of the video equipment in my home is Samsung and has been for years -- I had good experiences with my other (non-LCD) tvs. Needless to say I will not never purchase anything from Samsung again!

Collapse -
Power problems with PN50B550 TV
by jeanne64nc / February 11, 2011 11:01 PM PST

I had the same problem and then mine went completely out. I contacted samsung and after going through everything, they told me I needed a service tech to repair it, that it was an internal power error. They were wrong. After I thought a little while, I remembered my tv power cord was not hardwired. I removed it and went and bought a $9 power supply from a local retailer and put this on my TV. My TV powered up and has been working ever since... $9 sure beats a service call.

Collapse -
21 Days
by m520mg / March 1, 2011 1:51 AM PST

14 Months... My Samsung E60 reader failed within 21 days and they are making me pay!

Their Customer Service is a waste of time, after they sent me to the wrong repair centre... Then wanted me to recover their mistake!!!!

Samsung IS A JOKE

Collapse -
I thought this model was removed from the US Market.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2011 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: 21 Days

I did find them on a firesale site not long ago. Are they back on the market?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.