Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LCD Not Showing 1080p

by floyd855 / January 15, 2009 7:41 AM PST

Hello,
I have a samsung 46 inch lcd tv, model number ln46a550p. I am having trouble determining if my tv is outputting 1080p.

When my hd cable is plugged in, the tv shows 1920 x 1080i @ 60hz. This is good. When I plug in my blue ray player (using an HDMI cable) the tv shows 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz. I would have expected to see 1920 x 1080p @ 60hz.

I have taken my blue ray player and the same HDMI cable onto another tv, and the other tv (the other tv is an aquos) does show 1920 x 1080p @ 60hz. So at this point, I do not believe that it is a problem with my blue ray player or my hdmi cable.

How can I confirm that I am in fact receiving 1080p when I watch a blue ray movie?

Thank you in advance.
Floyd

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCD Not Showing 1080p
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCD Not Showing 1080p
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
only shows INcoming resolution
by washburn27 / January 15, 2009 8:42 AM PST

The TV only shows INcoming resolution (what you're feeding IN to the TV, otherwise known as the resolution of your SOURCE).
The TV never displays the OUTresolution. so although you're seeing 1080p (because the tv does upconvert anything you feed into it to 1080p), you will never see the real output numbers (1080p) displayed.

only time you'll ever see "1080p" DISPLAYED when you press "info" is if your SOURCE is ALREADY 1080p.

set your dvdp or bluray player to 1080p output and then check on the TV. (still it's showing what's coming IN; what you see, coming OUT of the tv is ALWYAS 1080p, so there;s no need to display that really)

Collapse -
p is assumed to be the default
by clicq / January 15, 2009 12:23 PM PST

The incoming signal can either be progressive (p) or interlaced (i). You only need to indicate one, so the other is assumed -- in this case, the TV indicates when you have interlaced input with an i after the resolution. Anything without the i is progressive, so it's 1080p, they just decided to leave off the p.

So basically, 1920x1080 @ 60Hz is 1080p.

Collapse -
Thanks guys....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2009 3:55 PM PST

Yes, indeed, the Info Button, as washburn noted, shows the incoming signal.

Clicq was right, also:

1080i on the input bar denotes 1080i.
1080 on the input bar denotes 1080p
1080p on the input bar also denotes 1080p for some units.

You guys are good. Thanks! Happy

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.