Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LCD LN46A550 Firmware Problems - Lost HDTV Tuner?

I recently updated the firmware on my Samsung LCD model LN46A550 to 1006.1 from the factory firmware. Unfortunately, I made a mistake and upgraded using the 1006.1 package before the 1005.1 package (they are listed side by side on the website).

I didn't realize this at first. After my TV reset, I tried auto-programing the tuner and it couldn't find any channels. After getting really worried, I noticed that I had the 1006.1 version installed. Wondering if this was the problem I installed 1005.1, thinking it might update the firmware for the main processor, but that didn't fix things. I then installed 1006.1 on top of that and that didn't fix things either.

Could the firmware upgrades have affected the tuner? Where there any changes to the tuner between firmwares? Any other idea what might have happened?

Is there any way to roll this back? This is extremely frustrating. I know I am still getting a signal from my cable since I plugged it into another TV.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCD LN46A550 Firmware Problems - Lost HDTV Tuner?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCD LN46A550 Firmware Problems - Lost HDTV Tuner?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
bump

In reply to: Samsung LCD LN46A550 Firmware Problems - Lost HDTV Tuner?

bump

Collapse -
Samsung LCD LN46A550 Firmware Problems - Lost HDTV Tuner?

spudx1,

I have no idea what could have happened. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to roll it back. You might try installing it again in the correct order - perhaps redundant, but worth a shot - but if that doesn't fix the unit, you'll probably have to call in and troubleshoot the unit.

You also might reset the unit by holding down the EXIT button on the remote and then choosing YES when the reset diaglog comes up.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Re

I'm having the same issue except I have a LN32A550...I upgraded to the 1006.1 firmware and suddenly my tv doesn't want to pick up ANY channels at all through the cable line. I'm really interested now to see if anyone else is having this issue...You'd think Samsung for as reputable they are would take something down if they knew it was causing tvs to break. Now since my tv is out of warranty, I'm either going to have to make due and watch tv on my computer, or pay what I'm assuming is going to be a lot of cash to get this fixed, something I didn't even break.

Collapse -
Re

In reply to: Re

djg5125,

I'm already looking into this and alerting the appropriate people who can look into this more.

Do you mind if I ask what provider you have for cable, and a general region - like which state you live in? I'll see what I can find.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Fixed

In reply to: Re

I actually managed to fix this on my own.

I had to go into the "service mode" and change the tuner type (for some reason it got changed by the firmware???). Samsung service reps will probably recommend that you don't do this. If you go into the service mode be extremely careful as changing some of the settings cannot be easily reversed (you may not be able to get back into the service mode if you set something incorrectly). I've also heard that using the service mode can void the warranty.

In Samsung's defense:

I called them up and told them what happened. My TV was out of warranty, but they agreed to continue the warranty coverage so that I could have a local tech come out and fix this issue. I was very impressed by their customer service.

Collapse -
Fixed

In reply to: Fixed

robertlast,

You're right, I'd recommend going in there. However, I'm more curious to know if the firmware was the correct one for your region.

But I'm glad to hear that you got it fixed.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung update 1006

I also used this update on my set and experienced the same "no tuner" result. After reading all the warnings about going into the service mode, I'm a little concerned I might mess something up. How do you change the tuner type and what would I change it to if I decide to enter the service mode? I was very disappointed with the people I spoke with at Samsung. I was told by one person that If the TV was working ok before putting an update in, the update will indeed screw it up. If this is the case, Samsung should have placed a warning on their website. These kind of responses can cause class action suites.

Collapse -
tuner type

and what tuner type do you choose in the service mode?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.