Samsung forum

Question

Samsung LA40R71BD will not turn on

by knightal / June 24, 2012 2:21 PM PDT

I have a Samsung LA40R71BD and it does not turn on right away. After several mins and a lot clicking sounds it does turn on and all is fine. This now happens everytime I try to turn it on. I believe that it will soon not turn on at all.
I read in another post here that a firmware update is available. Not sure how this could help this problem but I'm will to try it. If this is the case can anyone advise if it is available for this model. I've had this TV since 2007 so it is getting a bit old by todays standards, but it still runs great and has a great picture when it finally turns on.

Any advise would be appreciated

Regards
Allan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LA40R71BD will not turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LA40R71BD will not turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
PLEASE UNPLUG THAT UNIT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 3:41 PM PDT

The clicking can result in more damage and cause what could be a cheap repair to be costly.

Call it in and have Samsung check their lists for BAD CAPACITORS.

Again, your choice to risk more damage.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung LA40R71BD will not turn on
by knightal / June 24, 2012 4:23 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply. I have the TV running and for the next day will not actually turn it off. Then its off to the repair shop $31 to look and find out if it's worth the repair.

A fix for upto $200 is OK I guess but any more than that and it's time to think about replacement.

Prices have come down a lot now.

Regards
Allan

Collapse -
And even it is on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 4:49 PM PDT

The damage is there and with BAD CAPS in many cases, what could be a cheap thing to fix becomes a full board replacement. I'm unsure why folk are not listening here.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry for the typo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 4:52 PM PDT
In reply to: And even it is on.

But it's your choice to risk more damage. Always your choice.

Collapse -
repair shop
by knightal / June 24, 2012 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: And even it is on.

Good call, well I have taken it to the repair shop

Allan

Collapse -
Samsung is replacing a lot of caps for free.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: repair shop
Collapse -
Caps for free
by knightal / June 25, 2012 11:54 AM PDT

Not sure if the free caps would apply in my case the TV was bought in January 2007 and I'm in Australia.

I'll mention it to the repair shop just to see the reaction Happy

Regards

Allan

Collapse -
Again, ask Samsung in your country.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 2:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Caps for free

A repair shop will not do this for free. And I can't explain why folk don't ask.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung LA40R71BD will not turn on - not the clicking proble

Hi all, I had the problem with the clicking about 6months ago. I had a friend fix it, by following the fix suggested here to do with clicking whilst trying to turn on.
However, now the tv seems to switch off by itself. The screen goes black, but it doesn't seem to go into standby mode. Using the remote, you actually can still power it off into standby mode. However, when you try to switch it back on, it doesn't turn on. I found that switching it off (into standby mode), pulling the power cord for about 5mins or sometimes more, then switching it back on seems to work. However, it appears to only remedy it for short periods of time.
Any ideas?

Collapse -
Usually boards get replaced.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 3:27 PM PDT

I have never found any tech tell us which one in a forum. All answers here have been "arrange for service."

Did you ask in a TV repair forum like AVSFORUM?
Bob

Collapse -
re: Samsung LA40R71BD will not turn on - not the clicking pr

Bob, no, I haven't asked in AVSFORUM. Will ask now. Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!