Samsung forum

Question

Samsung J6300 Series Closed Captioning "Sticking"

by drwhatley / July 16, 2015 5:15 PM PDT

The 40" Smart TV is not so smart when it comes to displaying closed captioning. Six times now, a line or two of closed captioning won't clear...like it's frozen, but "new" closed captioning will appear and occasionally covers up the frozen line or two of text. You can change channels and the frozen closed captioning is there...along with the closed captioning for that program.

There are hearing impaired people in my family so just turning it off is not an acceptable solution.

For example, today it happened on FX with "Identity Thief" playing. The closed captioning line that would not clear was "You little b*tch." Changed the channel and there was a commercial playing and the line from "Identity Thief" was still there. Turning the TV off and then back on does not clear it, nor does detaching the cable. You have to power off, unplug from the back of the TV, remove cable, and then reconnect everything -OR- do a factory reset.

I do not have a cable box. I am using the built-in digital tuner in the TV. The cable comes out of the wall and plugs into the TV.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've called Samsung and they've done a hard reset once, and a second time they remoted into my TV to see the issue. At that time, they did a "RM Reconnect" and that cleared it without clearing the programming of the TV channels or the internet settings. But, I do not have much hope that the issue is resolved.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung J6300 Series Closed Captioning "Sticking"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung J6300 Series Closed Captioning "Sticking"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My Sony does that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2015 5:21 PM PDT

When I see it is OTA (antenna) and the station cuts to commercial and the caption stays up and doesn't clear until they return to the movie. This tells me it's a bug you see all over. Not that it's right.

Collapse -
Mine doesn't clear
by drwhatley / July 17, 2015 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: My Sony does that.

With mine, the captioning that's frozen does not clear at all...regardless of returning to the movie after the commercial. I just don't understand why it's doing that with cable's digital channels, which should be a better/cleaner signal. I have not watched non-digital channels through our cable provider, so I don't know if it's a glitch with just the digital signal or any cable broadcast signal.

Collapse -
Time to call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2015 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine doesn't clear

Maybe clear wasn't the right description. Mine didn't clear until a new caption comes along to replace it. Seems like the industry loves buggy things.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Close Caption Sticking
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 18, 2015 10:37 AM PDT

Is the firmware up to date on the unit? If so, can you send me an E-mail to qasupport@sea.samsung.com? I'd love to research this further for you!

Regards,

--HD Tech

Collapse -
Re: Closed Captioning Sticking
by drwhatley / July 18, 2015 5:51 PM PDT

Thank you. Email on its way.

Collapse -
Re: closed captioning sticking
by drwhatley / July 19, 2015 1:16 PM PDT

TV did it again today. TV updater stated firmware was up to date, but Samsung website for the TV showed newer firmware...1218.8; whereas, I have 1216.1. Samsung tech said to do USB update of the firmware and, if CC hangs again, they will send a tech to my house.

Collapse -
So Far So Good
by drwhatley / August 7, 2015 6:03 PM PDT

After the firmware update, the closed captioning has functioned without incident....knock on wood.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?