Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Internet@TV and FIOS Internet Are Not Compatible

by eeichler / May 28, 2010 6:35 AM PDT

OK, after banging my head on this and about a dozen calls to Samsung, I was just informed by Samsung Level 2 Support that Internet@TV does not work if you have Verizon FIOS internet. Funny, but I did not see that sticker on the box.

No notice on the support site, no expected release date on a fix, no response from Samsung support.

Wow.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Internet@TV and FIOS Internet Are Not Compatible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Internet@TV and FIOS Internet Are Not Compatible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
have you heard anything new
by keralite74 / May 28, 2010 10:49 PM PDT

I just bought a PN63C8000 and have been having the same problems as everyone else with the internet@tv. Your post seems to be the only one the states that it definitely is a samsung/FIOS problem. I was wondering if you have heard anything new about the issues and if there any fixes coming out for the tv any time soon. Thanks.

Collapse -
Samsung provided a definitive response
by eeichler / May 29, 2010 1:25 AM PDT

I spoke to Daniel, samsung level 2 support. He stated that Internet@tv is not compatible with fios Internet, no fix is available, and none is yet scheduled. He could provide no timeline for a fix. I consider that a definitive response from samsung given that it is impossible to get beyond level 2 at samsung. If Daniel is not correct, I'd invite samsung, who I know monitors this board, to respond. Fortunately I am within my 30 day return period with best buy.

Collapse -
thanks
by keralite74 / May 29, 2010 3:43 PM PDT

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, I really do appreciate it. Do you have any recommendations for a suitable 63" 3d ready substitute?

Collapse -
Trolling for HDTech
by eeichler / June 1, 2010 1:07 PM PDT

HDTech -

You've steered clear of the multiple posts on FIOS incompatibility. Can you please respond? Is what I've heard from Level 2 support correct, and if so, is a fix anywhere in sight?

Collapse -
Trolling for HDTech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 1, 2010 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Trolling for HDTech

eeichler,

I'm looking for clarification, and I've already been asking questions and gathering information on this.

Someone posts "X person" said "this and that", and I don't always have a response to that.

If you're asking if I know why people with FIOS are having an issue, the answer currently stands at: I don't know yet.

--HDTech

Collapse -
So do you know yet?
by megathunderchief / July 2, 2010 2:34 AM PDT

Just curious. I've got the exact same problem with LN46C670 and Verizon FIOS, and the Samsung "tech" support people have been utterly useless. In order to even try to establish a port forwarding rule to allow the Internet@TV service to pipe out, I would need a port and a destination IP address, both of which Samsung "tech" support was unable to provide me for their own product. Pathetic.

When you sell an internet-enabled television, it's a pretty big problem if your "tech" support people have to tell a customor, post-purchase, that their product is "incompatible" with one of the United States' largest and fastest ISPs. Passing the buck and blaming Verizon is pretty weak too. I don't recall many laptop manufacturers successfully arguing that their product "just isn't compatible" with an ISP and coming out with their brand name untarnished.

I would really appreciate a reply about the status of this issue. I bought this TV specifically for its internet connectivity. If that cannot be fixed, then this product is defective.

Collapse -
help please
by LocoLeeep / January 23, 2011 12:42 AM PST

I have this issue too. It only seems to effect Netflix streaming.
It worked fine on Comcast internet, I switched to FiOS yesterday and now Netflix streaming times out before it even starts.
I have FiOS with the Actiontec router.
I've tried using Google DNS servers, releasing my DHCP and forwarding several ports I've seen mentioned on these boards. No joy.
Has a solution been found for this issue?

Collapse -
Samsung Internet@TV and FIOS Internet Are Not Compatible
by CMS3S000 / June 2, 2010 5:01 AM PDT

Who knew? I spent time and Samsung spent money to replace the PC board and it still didn't work. I returned my unit as inop. The same holds true for the Samsung BD players.

Collapse -
Back it goes
by eeichler / June 3, 2010 11:32 AM PDT

So almost 30 days after buying my UN32C6500, I've decided to return in to Best Buy. No answer (ever) from anyone at Samsung who promised to 'get right back to me'. No replies on the e-mails I have sent. No notice on the website that at least some number of Verizon FIOS users cannot use Internet@TV. It looks beautiful on my wall - if only it worked as advertised or it was supported once sold.

Collapse -
Samsung products RETURNED due to Fios incompatibility
by BaffledinSoCal / June 4, 2010 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Back it goes

After HOURS and HOURS spent on the phone with both Verizon Fios and Samsung Tech Support, plus another hour or so with the Actiontec (router) tech guy, I have officially given up on getting anything to work. The beautiful Samsung LN46C670 LCD TV, RETURNED to Best Buy. The Samsung Blu-ray player, all boxed up and ready for RETURN the next time I go to Costco. So disappointing. When I last called Samsung (5/31/10), Samsung did admit that they were aware of this problem and were getting plenty of calls about it. That was from a Level One support person even. They claimed to be working on the issue with Verizon, but stated that they (Samsung) required ALL ports be open and that Verizon wouldn't open them. However, there was no timetable as to when the issue would be resolved. Just for kicks, I decided to call Verizon and after much of the same drills I had previously been through, my persistence finally got me transferred to the Actiontec router mfr tech support (I'm using model M1424-WR, issued when my Verizon Fios was installed last month). I had previously noted that someone (can't remember where I got this...a forum thread probably) had advised opening ports 80, 443 & 8080. I had the Actiontec guy open them as this was previously quite beyond my technical expertise. Happy For the record, he opened all three for TCP and UDP, whatever those are (sorry!) NO GO on getting the TV to connect, but at least I tried. I called Verizon one more time and ended up talking to a guy that seemed to know exactly what I was talking about and seemed quite knowledgeable about the issue. That, in and of itself, was quite refreshing! Basically, he said that the Samsung advice about needing ports open is nonsense and they know it. The only ports Verizon claims to block are ports 25 (for email) and 80 (something about incoming, web pages), which I'm told is absolutely standard. The Verizon guy said that Samsung is trying to force the community to accept standards that are nowhere near stable and nowhere near approved. The last glimmer of hope I was given was he said to call Samsung again and ask them if they had IP Version 6 active on the connectivity. He said Verizon is still using Version 4 and that Version 6 probably won't be useable for several years, although it has been actively used in other countries (he mentioned Japan as an example) for a few years. He said I might be able to download and install Version 4 and maybe that would solve the problem. Well, I tried good 'ol Samsung Level Two Tech Support and they had NO IDEA what I was talking about when I asked which IP Version they were using. I have officially given up. If someone else wants to try asking this question again, maybe you will have better luck, but I am just DONE at this point. Samsung, are you listening? Is there a fix? I tried to love your product, but it has been returned. Too bad I can't get back all the time I wasted trying to make your product do something it apparently can't. Unless you can provide a solution to your consumers, we will spend our dollars elsewhere and encourage others to do so also. Oh, and also for the record, we had the Geek Squad at Best Buy hook up our TV when we returned it just to make sure we didn't get a bad one, and it worked just fine there. Guess they aren't using Fios.... If anyone ever solves this puzzle, please post - thanks!

Collapse -
Samsung products RETURNED due to Fios incompatibility
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 4, 2010 4:26 PM PDT

Fellas,

I appreciate you posting back and explaining in detail what you tried.

I'm sorry to hear that this didn't work out, and I'll be bringing this additional information to the attention of those who are looking into this. It's not our desire or design that this feature not work, and if there was something I could personally do to get it working, I'd have done it. The best I can do at this point is gather information.

I do appreciate you considering Samsung products, and hope that you'll consider us in the future. I'm sorry we were unable to find a solution in the time required to keep your business this time around.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung Internet@TV & Verizon dont mix!
by SirEbrum / June 24, 2010 8:04 AM PDT

HDTech,

Is Samsung looking into this? If so, what are they doing to try to correct it. It seems to be "Verizon FIOS" specific, not the Actiontec router, not ports, etc.

I've reset everything to factory defaults more than once. I've put my BD-C6500 in the DMZ, my PC in the DMZ, and I have the same issues others report.
1. The Internet@TV portion of the product never connects and drops back to the main menu.
2. From any PC here at home, I cannot download any manuals, firmware updates, or the PC Share software from the Samsung site. The site itself works fine, but the "org.downloadcenter.quantum.com" site is dead to me, as is the "ars..." site.

I have a support ticket in with Samsung, entered two days ago and I'm still awaiting a callback from 2nd Level Support. TWO DAYS!

This is really a shame, as my Samsung LCD TV's, my Samsung French-door refridgerator/freezer, and other Samsung products work fine. This one issue is really tarnishing your reputation with many here in the forums (Cnet & Verizon), as neither of you appear to be doing anything to correct it. The way we see it, you just dont care about the "customer experience", which will cripple any Service organization. You are directly effecting the sales of Samsung product.

I seriously hope you seek to correct this problem and continue to pound those people internally to correct this. I have about another week before I cannot return the BD-C6500 to Dell for a refund. Please do your best and I'll be watching the threads.

Collapse -
CORRECTION
by SirEbrum / June 24, 2010 8:07 AM PDT

...web site address isnt' "Quantum"...

"org.downloadcenter.samsung.com"

Collapse -
Thank you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 8:20 AM PDT

I was waiting to hear about the DMZ. At least I can scratch that off my list.

Collapse -
Return It!
by eeichler / June 24, 2010 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you.

I'd say return the unit while you can. I had 30 days from Best Buy, and I took it back around Day 28. I saw numbers the other day that FIOS Internet has 3.6M subscribers. I guess Samsung doesn't want them as customers too.

Collapse -
Juggernauts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Return It!

At least we know the cause (some want to debate that) but until the juggernauts offer some adjustments or make it "just work" my friends and I know what's up. This however does not mean there is is fix. That fix will come from either company when they decide to make it happen.

It is that simple.
Bob

Collapse -
Verizon FIOS incompatibility
by barrie.hunter / July 9, 2010 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Return It!

I must be missing something here - I have had Verizon FIOS with three computers connected thru the ActionTec router for two years now and never a problem. I just bought a Samsung UN55C8000, hardwired it to the router and was on the internet in less than 10 secs. I have a Rosewill WL adapter on order to replace the hardwire and don't expect any problems with that. My only issue is that the Widgets available from Sumsung are way too limiting (I would like to have ESPN3, just like I have on my cell phone.)

Collapse -
Can you connect to Internet@TV?
by eeichler / July 9, 2010 2:15 AM PDT

The widgets work, Internet@TV does not.

Collapse -
Samsung Internet@TV & Verizon dont mix!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 24, 2010 9:38 AM PDT

SirEbrum,

I've asked that those who can do diagnostics look into this.

Unfortunately, I don't have any further information on this, or what the cause of this issue is.

When you say you couldn't get to the org.download center, do you mean that you're unable to download firmware updates from the website using a PC using the FIOS connection?

--HDTech

Collapse -
No joy - Samsung on Verizon FIOS
by SirEbrum / July 10, 2010 8:42 AM PDT

You asked:
"When you say you couldn't get to the org.download center, do you mean that you're unable to download firmware updates from the website using a PC using the FIOS connection?"

I live in Riverside County, CA, and my father lives in Orange County, CA, about 50 miles apart from one another, but we both have Verizon Fios coming into our homes. We both can get to the Samsung support site, all the way into the Support pages where we can select a download (icon of a doc or zip file). Hovering over the icon shows a link at the bottom of the web page, such as:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201002/20100204080023984/BD-C5500-XAC-0118.pdf

Normall you'd click on the link and a PDF file is displayed, but instead the link simply times-out. I can use Windows Remote Desktop into a lab system at my work (not using Verizon) and the same selections work just fine.

I've worked in Customer Service of a major storage company for a decade now and I'm absolutely shocked that neither Samsung nor Verizon will choose to do anything about this. Nothing. The largest irritation is that I've happily invested in Samusung products in my home, all the way down to Hard Disks in my systems, and luckily have never once had to call Technical Support. But now that I have, I'm crushed to think that a company such as yours is NOT willing to pass this issue forward.

In the PC industry we have a medium called "TSANet", which allows technical corporations to work with one another behind the scenes. You must have something similar, or at least have a way of simply looking into this further with the help of Verizon.

To "know" of the problem for over two months and do nothing is utterly irresponsible. I believed in your company and your product up to now, to the extent that I kept the BD-C6500 because I felt in my heart that you would do the right thing. Was I wrong? I'm now out of my 30 day return window and Dell wont take it back.

Please tell us that you're doing something or that we can get around this problem by doing something other than switching my ISP.

- A loyal customer

Collapse -
BBB.org
by homerpiko / June 21, 2010 1:15 AM PDT

The thing to do, which would help us all, is start to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. If they receive enough complaints, action will be taken. Below is the contact info for the HQ in trenton and a link to the Trenton BBB office. Please take the time to fill this out, and pass it along to anyone you know with the same issue.

The BBB that will handle your complaint is:
BBB of New Jersey
(Trenton, NJ)
1700 Whitehorse Hamilton Sq. Rd St D-5
Trenton, NJ 08690-3596
Phone: (609)588-0808
Fax: (609)588-0546
Email: info@trenton.bbb.org
Web: http://www.trenton.bbb.org

Collapse -
BBB.Org
by homerpiko / June 30, 2010 7:28 AM PDT

Please report to the BBB! I got a call from the Samsung executive offices asking to speak with me about my complaint. This works and they will be forced to take actions.

The BBB that will handle your complaint is:
BBB of New Jersey
(Trenton, NJ)
1700 Whitehorse Hamilton Sq. Rd St D-5
Trenton, NJ 08690-3596
Phone: (609)588-0808
Fax: (609)588-0546
Email: info@trenton.bbb.org
Web: http://www.trenton.bbb.org

Collapse -
This is odd
by sabst79-1 / July 1, 2010 2:05 AM PDT

I have a 2009 Model LED, the 7100 model, 46" and I have Verizon FIOS and my Internet@TV has worked fine. Is this something different that you're talking about or does it affect only specific models? I'd be curious to know.

Collapse -
This is odd
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 1, 2010 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: This is odd

sabst79-1,

So far, the affected people are having some issues with Samsung Apps, which is not part of the 2009 models.

At least, that's what I'm seeing.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung: Terribly Uninformed Technical Support
by megathunderchief / July 1, 2010 7:24 AM PDT

I bought LN46C670 two weeks ago, have Verizon FIOS with the same ActionTec router, and have the EXACT same problem mentioned earlier in these threads (there are several now). The first time I called Samsung technical support, the "tech" informed me that "Samsung and Verizon just aren't compatible." I asked her to tell me why, in technical terms, that is. Her reply was "Well, they're just not compatible, but it's their problem, not ours, because our TVs work with every other service provider out there." I informed her that Verizon FIOS was one of the largest high-speed internet providers in the country, and everyone else's TVs seem to work on their networks, so perhaps the problem was Samsung's.

She eventually transferred me to a "supervisor," who proceeded to parrot everything I said to him, before telling me to call Verizon. Fair enough, I'll play that game. Called Verizon and spoke to an agreeable tech, who suggested establishing a port-forwarding rule. Sensible first step. All I needed to do was obtain the port Samsung's Internet@TV portal was meant to go out over, and the destination IP address for the Internet@TV server. Called Samsung back, and after explaining the information I required about my SAMSUNG TV to the SAMSUNG "tech" support representative, was instructed to, and I quote again,

tech: "Call Verizon and get them to walk you through the process."

me: "Ok, sure...there, I just got off the phone with them 15 minutes ago, as per our conversation at the start of this call. They told me to obtain this technical information about my television from Samsung technical support. Can you provide this information about your product for me?"

tech: "Can you hold for a minute?"...5 minutes go by..."Sir, you're going to have to call Verizon and get them to walk you through this."

me: "I did. They told me to obtain this information from you about your product."

tech: "Well, we don't have that information here."

me: "Is there someplace else that I can call to obtain that information?"

tech: "No."

This, my friends, is pathetic. If your product, according to your "tech" support personnel, is "not compatible" with one of the largest and fastest internet providers in the United States, you should clearly advertise said information at its point of sale. I suggest hiring "tech" support personnel who know how to do more than read a script on a computer if you're looking to play around with the internets, mmmkay? Furthermore, I suggest a little more effective information flow about the status of any potential resolution to this problem. Better Business Bureau, here I come.

Collapse -
Feel sorry for them
by eeichler / July 1, 2010 8:10 AM PDT

The folks I spoke to in my 4 week attempt to get Internet@tv and fios to work together (unsuccessfully) were all very nice but horribly untrained. You cannot run a technical call center with people you pull in off the street. Level 2 (there was no level 3) were marginally better. The support site is even worse. The execs need to understand that when you starting selling software, you need to support like software, not dishwashers.

The shocking thing is they are selling this stuff to unsuspecting people when they KNOW it does not work.

Collapse -
there goes the Samsung HT system
by sabst79-1 / July 1, 2010 10:09 PM PDT

Since this seems to be affecting all 2010 models, I'm going to have to look to another brand for my HT system. Which is too bad, I was ready to buy Samsung HT-C6730W but if I won't be able to get to the apps, forget it. I'm not giving up FIOS for Samsung.

Collapse -
Internet@TV
by rsupak / July 6, 2010 5:50 AM PDT

I had the same issue with my 6500 TV, after changing the DNS servers from Verizon?s to Google?s free DNS servers everything worked fine. It appears to be a DNS issue on Verizon?s side in my case.

Collapse -
I saw that
by sabst79-1 / July 6, 2010 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet@TV

I saw multiple posts about that, but haven't heard from anyone else who's gotten it to work. Want to see if others have been able to resolve the issue.

Collapse -
How do you change DNS Servers?
by homeinHB / July 7, 2010 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet@TV

I have the same problem as everyone else. Mine is a HD C6600.
Is is easy to change the Servers? How?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?