Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung internet apps/widgets - updates for 2009 models?

by jobrillo / May 27, 2010 11:33 PM PDT

Samsung announced their new TVs, and the new internet-based apps - yet they give no indication as to if/when these apps will be enabled on 2009 TVs.

Can the firmware on the 2009 TVs be upgraded to take advantage of the growing app portfolio - or is Samsung content to leave the 2009 customer base with limited functionality?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung internet apps/widgets - updates for 2009 models?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung internet apps/widgets - updates for 2009 models?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In short, no.
by in2insight / May 28, 2010 3:45 AM PDT

Samsung, for reasons known only to them, have decided to leave the 2009 models unsupported.
Yeah, sucks for sure, but now we know.

Collapse -
Samsung internet apps/widgets - updates for 2009 models?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 28, 2010 11:17 AM PDT

jobrillo,

The hardware in the 2009 models isn't designed to run everything we're offering in 2010. As offerings and technology progresses, not everything offered today can be backwards compatible.

--HDTech

Collapse -
samsung can invest in its customers - and they have said NO
by jobrillo / May 28, 2010 9:30 PM PDT

We all appreciate that hardware will evolve and at some point some devices will fall out of support. But to suggest that after spending thousands on your latest and greatness in the past 12 months - and now you are making no effort to provide functionality beyond the simple widgets it came with is beyond belief. So instead of being rewarded for investing in a TV set for the future - we were suckered in to buy a device only to have you invest the profits in the next generation - and leave us with unsupported, expensive, 1 year old TVs.

The ethical thing to do would have been to make it clear in your marketing that the technology would not be supported with new functionality and to price the product accordingly. But you did not... you flaunted the internet capabilities implying a device aimed at the future.

Even you know that is not right. I know you cannot say it in a public forum... but i hope you are speaking for the customer when samsung debates these issues internally.

Our only recourse is to vote with our recommendations to others and our wallets. and certainly i have learned a hard lesson about finding the company that will support its customers as one makes their electronics investments.

Joe Kane
Director of Technology
University Center of Lake County
(224) 436 2007

Collapse -
Widgets
by jw650 / May 30, 2010 6:52 PM PDT

It's hard to find much information on widget technology. I suspect most of the widgets under development will be based on the earlier SDK and platform of our B-series sets (which can be upgraded), but that Samsung marketing will try to block their release through the Yahoo! servers to encourage sales of C series sets. These are to have access to Samsung's own servers, maybe producing an extra revenue stream. They don't seem to work at present, judging by other threads.

Collapse -
Iplayer on B series
by tihad / August 25, 2010 9:36 AM PDT

I made one big mistake in choosing Samsung Tv. Although i like the Tv set(minus the sound ). I am extremely disappointed to hear such silly replies and excuses from technical people. I player can be added to B series and i am 100 % sure it can. Just admit you do not wish to support B series anymore (12 months old . you should never lie to people,because people have the power to find out the truth and punish you for the lies. Imagine i am about to a Tv that promised such and such only to find out you lied? do you really think i would bother???? .
can on Samsung you can do better

Collapse -
Petition for Samsung
by dmitskevich / September 14, 2010 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Iplayer on B series

I think, that we should sign some kind of petition for Samsung, and request to make SamsungApps also available for TV models from 2009.

They can do this! I'm 100% sure. Hardware is there, it works. It is capable to run (and run fast) YouTube app, which is one of the most demanding apps.

And dear Samsung - we, users of 2009 TVs, we will buy the widgets from your SamsungApps store. Isn't it great? Please, Samsung, let us use SamsungApps on our TVs.

Collapse -
samsung petition
by Waste_of_money / February 2, 2011 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: Petition for Samsung

I will sign

Collapse -
SamsungApps are already running on 2009 models!
by dmitskevich / September 14, 2010 9:58 PM PDT

Please, have alook to this document:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1itXEqPZvlEHyMG6hZuqAzZNpAboCdEozDnLauEROiv8

Looks like YouTube, Accuweather, Picasa from SamsungApps are already running on 2009 TVs. Why not release SamsungApps market fro 2009 TVs? We don't ask for all applications, but I'm sure a lot of them will be capable to run on older TVs. E.g. YouTube application is very complicated, but it runs even faster then YouTube from Yahoo TV Widgets!

Collapse -
YouTube widget on 2009 TV the same as in SamsungApps
by dmitskevich / September 14, 2010 10:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
Facebook came and went on 2009 model - what happened
by mm19642 / September 14, 2010 10:36 PM PDT

I have accuweather, ninemsn, picasa web albums, youtube, news and twitter.

The other week I had Facebook. It now says Facebook has been deleted!!!

What's happening?

Collapse -
Facebook was ugly :)
by dmitskevich / September 14, 2010 10:38 PM PDT

I think Facebook was ugly, that's why they deleted it Happy
In "development mode" I still have it...

Collapse -
(NT) with the new firmware you get facebok and twitter
by gil1966 / December 9, 2010 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Facebook was ugly :)
Collapse -
Just got a wifi dongle for Bseries 652 LCD TV an its useless
by Waste_of_money / February 2, 2011 7:21 AM PST

I was so happy when my wifi LAN adapter arrived for my 1 old Samsung TV.

I cannot believe that it is already useless. I can't get Lovefilm. All the other apps (sorry widgets) are not much use either.

Is there no way of getting lovefilm on this TV?

Internet@TV on the B series models is not really much use.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.