Samsung forum

Rant

Samsung ignores old flickering problem

by EstateMan / October 30, 2012 11:08 PM PDT

With a little enccourage after I posted on an old thread, I will hopefully start a new discussion on Samsung:

OK, ownership wise we are about two and a half years from purchase of TV and Samsung Blueray player. Of course we registered and had the one year warrarnty and we purchased another year from a big box store.

Now, we have tried since Saturday (Oct 27) and today is Tuesday (Oct 30). We have talked to Samung about this know issue including their Executieve Consumer Relations Department and there is nothing they will do to help us. I know how problems happen, but this is a reoccurring issue on their units. Alreadly there has been a class action. But brand name and repution are priceless. Samsung is putting us out of range as future customers. We have bragged to others about our set, but two years of performance for $1600 is not very good.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung ignores old flickering problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung ignores old flickering problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No model number means we can't look to see if there is ....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 1:26 AM PDT

I may have missed it but can't find the model in question. Some were found to have a jumper that Samsung has sent techs out to clip. I would not call that ignoring but some might.
Bob

Collapse -
The flickering issue with my Samsung LCD TX
by EstateMan / October 31, 2012 1:56 AM PDT

The issue is with model number LN55C630 K1FXZA. Obviously a 55 inch TV. And again thanks to CNET for helping me properly get this model identified.

Collapse -
Good to see that number. See this search.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 2:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
The Jumper Cut
by EstateMan / October 31, 2012 2:11 AM PDT

Yes, I am aware of this recommendation on google. For this issue, there is also the recommendation to check capicators and possibly replace. And while I build my own computers for my business, still my wife looks at me as if I am crazy and she is a little unsettled with the idea of opening HER TV. No marriage counseling need. She is just a very careful woman and that is why she picked me--MR. CAREFUL. Let's first see if Samsung thinks enough that future sales to this customer to do more than they have so far in my calls and chats.

Collapse -
Good to read you know about BAD CAPS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: The Jumper Cut

Years ago at the office our first encounter was with a machine that blew power supplies. I said "OK, let's increase the PSU size." We blow up the next size unit and then popped in a whopper. It ran fine for a week then the small explosion and puff of smoke came out. It was enough power to blow the BAD CAPS off the board and we began learning what happened.

Corporate espionage gone bad and millions of dead Dells and now in many TVs (not just Samsung) so we keep an eye out for that.

A CAREFUL person that deals in electronics always inspects those electrolytic capacitors. And the person with more exposure to this issue knows it's not a maker problem but a plague to almost all electronics today.
Bob

Collapse -
The Bad Caps
by EstateMan / October 31, 2012 5:13 AM PDT

R. Proffitt, for a fact, my first discovery of the bad caps issue was right here on CNET on the previous forums when you suggested that I start a new one.

I have had a few video cards go out on me in computers (sometime they pop like a firecracker) and I wish that I had tried to repair with a removal and replacement. That would have been interesting. Perhaps someone in the community here has done so?

Collapse -
I'll share I've replaced too many BAD CAPS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: The Bad Caps

It's a crap shot if the boards and cards come back but for the 1 to 2 bucks for a few caps is always worth trying. The only folk that seem to have trouble are those that want an iron clad guarantee it will fix the board or thing. For those folk I have to tell them to replace the board.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung Refuses Help
by EstateMan / November 1, 2012 12:54 AM PDT

This morning (Nov 1, 2012) I spoke with the Executive Consumers Relations Dept and basically they said "tough luck" and they refused to help and would not admit any knowledge of the problem.

My wife found a site last night at http://www.consumerclass actionattorneys.com/samsung. I believe they the firm is in the process of certifying a class action. My model and 6 other models are included.

Now, no doubt Samsung is aware of this and they will close the door to any other consumer concerns that are out of warranty on these models and wait for the dust to settle.

Too bad for me and others who own these TVs. We will have to await settlement that will take at least two years.

Collapse -
Do you have pictures of the bad caps?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung Refuses Help
Collapse -
son of a gun we'll have big fun on the bayou
by EstateMan / November 1, 2012 10:12 AM PDT

I did it! I cut the jumper line labeled JP854 on my Samsung LN55C630 LCD TV.

Result: it worked! In fact, the picture is actually a little better.

But a note to all: Do not just do this unless you verify the correct jumper line to cut and IT IS DIFFERENT on different models and screen sizes. Do as I did and do your research. In other words measure twice and cut once.

Now, a note to Samsung: A pox on your house for not being willing to share this with me. But be sure we have already started the process of joining a new class action. Wouldn't it be better to just love your customer as much as we have loved our television?

Collapse -
Stunning.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 12:37 PM PDT

I'm at a loss for words here. Usually after you get all this up on the table the support rolls over or opens the secret book that they only know about.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.