Question

Samsung HW-J650 Soundbar.

I cannot get any sound to pass through the soundbar from the tv. My skybox has no HDMI connection and my TV has no optical. I tried my 3.5 jack link wire and I still can't get any sound to pass through the sound bar. I just want to get the TV sound to work before I can consider my other external devices.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Samsung HW-J650 Soundbar.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung HW-J650 Soundbar.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Soundbar model, CHECK!

TV MODEL?

- Collapse -
TV model

Philips 26PF5521D/10

- Collapse -
Answer
Then no.

From the TV maker's site it will not output digital sound over SPDIF unless the input is HDMI.
"
Question
No sound from SPDIF output when watching analog programs.
Answer
The television's behaviour is considered to be normal as sound output from SPDIF is only available on digital progams.
"
Funny spelling is from the Philips site! "progams"!

If the headphone jack is not working you have a defective TV. Headphones must work or you're wasting your time.

The only matching input to the Samsung is the AUX IN but if headphones don't work, you're done for.

- Collapse -
Headphone jack

I had the headphone jack working on previous system.

According to the PDF manual for this Samsung model is is supposed to come with a manual and an optical lead unless I have read it wrong. I also have an additional item that is not listed on the parts list. You know you get a bulky section in some power leads. Well I have like a magnetic round clip that looks like it might clip round the cable in the bulky section on the power lead just before it enters the sound bar. But that would stick out like a sore thumb when wall mounting above a TV. Can't find no info to confirm the position of this magnetic wire clip.

- Collapse -
Optical won't work in this case.

You supplied me with enough information why optical won't work from the TV when the Skybox is not connected with HDMI.

As to the power lead, not there so I can't see what's up.

- Collapse -
TV has no optical

TV has no optical, so my only option is HDMI from TV to HDMI arc on sound bar. TV has only HDMI in so I'm assuming i am only able to send sound to TV from other devices like a blue ray player. I am unable to send sound to sound bar because of no optical and no HDMI out. Sound can't transfer if I have nothing playing on the HDMI channels.

- Collapse -
TV won't emit any digital audio in this case.

Only output that should work is the headphone jack and if that's broken, game over.

Call it in for repair.

Sorry about mentioning optical, I should have wrote it as no digital audio in this setup.

- Collapse -
Repair? Its brand new.

My HDMI channels are sending sound over to soundbar for external devices now.

I got the 3.5 Aux working, turned TV volume up dough.

So if I want a digital connection I would need to get a sky box with an optical connection. Although there is reference in the manual to connect TV to sound bar with an HDMI cable I cannot see how the TV is able to send sound over when my sky TV is on another channel.

All in all the Samsung HW-J650 is a very good sound bar with lots of features and well worth the money at £350. You just might have fewer connection options on older tvs.

- Collapse -
My note for repair was for when the 3.5 jack was not working

I'm unsure why the repair would be needed now that the jack works.

As to the second part, the TV noted what's up. I failed to convey this so here we are. Yup.

- Collapse -
Phillips

I am going to speak to Philips now to see if it is possible to get a digital HDMI connection signal sent from my TV to sound bar and from an external DVD player to my sound bar. I don't want to buy a new TV just yet.

- Collapse -
In short no.

The TV manual told me no to that. If the input to the TV is analog, it does not send out a digital audio signal.

I'd rethink all this. Try to hookup the DVD to the sound bar via the analog inputs and well, if it gets too much to setup, ask for a tech buddy to set it up.

- Collapse -
Phillips

I am going to speak to Philips now to see if it is possible to get a digital HDMI connection signal sent from my TV to sound bar and from an external DVD player to my sound bar. I don't want to buy a new TV just yet.

CNET Forums