Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung HT-AS730ST Home Theater Does Not Retain Settings

by jgirard12 / December 29, 2009 1:17 AM PST

This appears to be a common problem with every unit made. The speaker distance settings are not retained after entering power off standby mode. This may not be obvious to the casual user because the speaker distance settings are very subtle. To the power user, this is an annoyance.

This issue is wide spread all over the Internet. Samsung has no solution other than to give you your money back, but only after you send the whole package back to them. They claim there is no fix. Many customers have tried to send the unit in for repair only to find that the firmware update or whatever they did does not work.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem or know of a workaround? I have personally tested five units in several store demos and they all had the same problem. I have also returned three units that all have the same problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HT-AS730ST Home Theater Does Not Retain Settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HT-AS730ST Home Theater Does Not Retain Settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Work-around for HT-AS730ST Losing Speaker Settings
by jgirard12 / December 29, 2009 11:02 AM PST

I did a little experimenting and this is what I can determine on how it doesn?t work.

When entering your speaker distance settings, whatever you enter for Center ends up going to Front Left and whatever you enter for Surround Left ends up going to Front Right. All the remaining distance settings are forced to 10ft. This weird corruption occurs anytime you make any changes to the speaker distance settings and then power the unit into standby mode.

Now knowing how it works, you can use this a little to your advantage to compromise with some settings that will be ?good enough?. The listening delay is based on about 1ms per foot of distance. The speakers that are nearest to the listening position will receive more delay. The speaker that is the farthest away will receive no delay because you want to get the sound to the user quickly because it has to travel the greater distance.

So knowing this, the distance numbers really don?t mean anything, but after making any changes to the settings, we understand that the CT, SL, SR, and SW will all be set to 10ft. You can use this fixed number in a relative fashion to create a compromise for the FL and FR delay. For example, if you enter 15ft. for the FL and FR (entered into CT & SL as already explained above), then you are essentially saying that the FL and FR are 5ft. further away than the CT, SL, SR, and SW which have now all been forced to 10ft. due to the bug. This means that the CT, SL, SR, and SW speakers will receive 5ms of delay. Conversely, if you make FL and FR smaller, for example 7ft., then you are indicating that the FL and FR speakers are 3ft. closer than the CT, SL, SR, and SW. Thus, the FL and FR receive about 3ms of delay.

Again, the numbers don?t mean anything in absolute terms, but they can be used relatively. All that you can do here is indicate the relative difference between FL and FR together vs. CT, SL, SR and SW. You can create a compromise by using this relative method and by moving the speakers around the room a little bit if you can.

Collapse -
HT-AS730ST does not retain speaker distance settings.
by jgirard12 / January 8, 2010 11:41 AM PST

I cannot believe no one else is having this problem. Five out of five units I've tested in three Best Buy stores all had the same problem. I'm in the Detroit area. Is it me or is it Samsung?

Collapse -
Samsung HT-AS730ST class-action steps
by jgirard12 / January 19, 2010 1:27 AM PST

I have contacted a lawyer and we are beginning to take steps toward a class-action lawsuit for this unit.

Samsung is not doing anything to fix the issue, they will not issue a recall to pull current known defective product off the shelf, they still continue to sell these known defective units new, they still continue to distribute returned and known defective units through refurbished channels.

If you have purchased one of these known defective units and have gone through their warranty process of sending the unit back twice before they claim it is not repairable and they offer to issue you a full refund, then please respond here and we will further make contact based on your circumstances.

If you have purchased a Samsung HT-AS730ST and do not know if you have a known defective unit, you can test it by going into the speaker distance settings and seeing if it retains your programmed values after you enter power-off standby mode. Please see the previous posts in this thread for more exact details of the procedure.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Same problem on HT-as730st
by bm5991 / July 19, 2010 1:47 AM PDT

I have the same problem with my unit also, also it doesnt keep any setting on the preset fm stations or my setting i put in for the audio settings also. I have called samsung they had me reset the unit and still does the same thing, when i called and asked them about this problem they acted like they never heard of the problem before. They want me to send it to them to fix but reading all these post all over the internet, i am not real enthused to send it back if they dont fix the problem. Did anyone ever get this problem fixed? And how?
Thanks

Collapse -
Cannot be fixed
by jgirard12 / September 7, 2010 8:13 AM PDT

I sent back two units and they could not fix either one of them. Apparently the firmware update does not fix it. They want you to send the whole entire kit back and they will issue a refund.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?