HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Samsung HP-T4264 versus Panasonic TH-42PZ700U

by Tarentel / March 20, 2008 9:51 AM PDT

I am finally buying a new TV and need some help... I read and re-read the reviews and can't separate these 2 sets. any opinions or real-life experiences would be of great help. I am torn because the Samsung has twice the contrast ratio (i like colors), great blacks and a better sound system (i don't have an AV receiver and don't plan on getting one so this feature matters) though it doesn't do 1080p, which is nearly useless technologically for the time being. i read some grief from Samsung buyers and lots-o-love for the Panasonics. oh, I can't get a 50", I don't have the space (small apartment). HELP! And thanks Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HP-T4264 versus Panasonic TH-42PZ700U
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HP-T4264 versus Panasonic TH-42PZ700U
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I say Panasonic
by dinox64 / March 20, 2008 10:21 AM PDT

I own a Panasonic. Contrast isn't for color but the "contrast" between the blackest level and the brightest(or white)level. There is more to consider as well, like Aspect (picture sizing), Inputs, and so forth. Contrast rating for one company can vary from contrast from another. I don't think there is a "real" standard on this in the industry. Meaning one company may start at 2k:1 and go to 20k:1, while another starts at 4k:1 and goes to 18k:1. Does it mean that the one that starts at 4000:1 is better than the company that starts at 2000:1 contrast ratio? No. If you take notice most if not all manufacturers including Panasonic say "UPTO" when talking about contrast ratios. Me, myself and I like Panasonic. Pioneer too but why spend a thousand or more? This is something you are going to have to visit a few times and maybe at different stores to decide what YOU like best. Don't be afraid to check online stores for great deals. Good luck.

Collapse -
PERSONALLY, I'D CHOOSE THE PANASONIC...........
by Riverledge / March 20, 2008 11:08 AM PDT

I HAVE A 58PX600U, WHICH IS 720p. EXCELLENT PICTURE QUALITY!!!

AS FAR AS CONTRAST RATIO FIGURES GO; THEY ARE MORE OR LESS ARBITRARY,

DEPENDING ON THE MANUFACTURER. NOT A GOOD WAY TO COMPARE HDTVS, AS

THEY ARE OFTEN INFLATED.

Best wishes,

Riverledge.

P.S. YOU DON'T NEED 1080P ON A 42" MODEL.

Collapse -
Be Aware of Samsung "sound issue" on the 64 Series
by Kinsella5 / March 21, 2008 5:34 PM PDT

If you go with the Samsung, I posted a short while ago that both the HPT4264 and 5064 models have a problem with the sound cutting out when you use an HDMI cable. Of course Samsung doesn't bother to mention it on their website or provide the firmware patch on their site, you actually have to call up support and tell them the problem, and then they tell you there is a firmware patch available. They know about the problem that effects the 42" and 50" models above, and the firmware upgrade does fix the problem. My folks have the 50" version and they like it, it is a great set, cant speak for the Panasonic but you probably can't go wrong with it either. Panasonic does make a 1080p set in size 42" but Samsung does not. The latest 11th generation of Panasonic plasma's are just hitting the market, so the 10th generation ones will more than likely go clearance soon if not already. Samsung's new plasma and LCD's are hitting now as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.