Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung HLN617W auto shut off.

Hi,

I have a Samsung HLN617W DLP TV that started to automatically shut off on its own. When that happens, the 3 led lights timer/lamp/temp show solid green/green/red and stay that way. I cannot then turn the TV back on.

Of note too is that when it turns off, and the leds are on, the fans in the back are actually working and some small green led inside is also on.

I have been able in the past to unplug the TV from the AC outlet and plug it into a different outlet to resolve, but last night, even that didn't work until I tried it many times (over 6 or 7 times into different AC outlets). When that didin't work last night, and I unplugged it it obviously turned off everything, but then plugging the TV to the AC outlet only brought back the same symptoms (leds and fan in the back without being able to turn the TV on).

The lamp is about 1 year old.

I have not tried the following yet, but wanted to know if this is something common:
- clean dust inside, but it looks clean anyhow.
- remove the lamp and reinstall it.
- open the lamp door and close it to make sure the sensor is fine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HLN617W auto shut off.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HLN617W auto shut off.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
forgot to mention

In reply to: Samsung HLN617W auto shut off.

I forgot to mention that this problem is intermittent. I have watched for days and on some days 6 hours straight without issues, and sometimes/somedays it just happens.

Collapse -
Samsung HLN617W auto shut off. - New!

In reply to: Samsung HLN617W auto shut off.

freshbadboy,

Your option of...

- remove the lamp and reinstall it.

...is the direction I would recommend. Often times, reseating the lamp is the simple and effective fix. If it doesn't solve the issue, it's likely something that is going to require an inspection by a technician.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung HLN617W auto shut off

In reply to: Samsung HLN617W auto shut off. - New!

Thank you HDTech for the very quick reply. I will try it and report back.
Cheers and fingers crossed.

Collapse -

In reply to: Samsung HLN617W auto shut off

Oh well, no such luck Sad

I did it once yesterday (reseating the lamp) and the tv turned off, then I did it again and the tv worked for a couple of hours, then I went to bed. This morning it worked for a few more hours, and shut off after that Sad

I called a Samsung repairman around my area, and he said that it is most likely the dmd board with will cost a lot to fix Sad

Any advice? How much do these boards cost? Where can I buy them from? Will I be able to fix it myself?

I am really disappointed. I just bought this tv second hand and was very happy with everything till this happened Sad

Collapse -

In reply to: Samsung HLN617W auto shut off

freshbadboy,

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. My remedy for these issues is the lamp reseat. If it's not that, I don't really have much to offer. The only other possibility is that the blue kill-switch on the lamp door - maybe move it to see if that's the issue.

I don't have prices for parts and labor - the technician would be able to give you a better idea on that.

--HDTech

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.