Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung HDTV, connecting external amplifier

by bizwiz41 / June 21, 2010 7:12 AM PDT

I have a Samsung TX-P3071WH HDTV that I cannot connect to an external audio amplifer. I called Samsung today, and they stated "it should work", and that "I should take it in for service"....

I have tried connecting a receiver several times to no avail. My set up is a Pace HD cable box, connected w/HDMI (from box) to DVI input on TV. I tried analog audio cable from box to "DVI audio input". With this I have sound through the TV. I then connected RCA audio to "MONITOR OUT" audio to VIDEO IN on Sony STR-DE185 AV amp. No sound through amp, only through TV. I tried the DVD (component cabled, again only TV sound.

Today I tried the VCR (VIDEO INPUT-RCA composite), and got sound through the amp and TV (???).

I can make this work by cabling from the box & DVD into the amp, but I'd like to run it all through the TV for simplifying remote control programming. As an aside, I am able to do this with the other two Sony TVs w/no issue.

So, does this sound like a "service issue", or I am doing something wrong? Or, is it simply that it cannot be done under this set up?

Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HDTV, connecting external amplifier
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HDTV, connecting external amplifier
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2010 9:53 AM PDT

bizwiz41,

The DVI wouldn't carry the audio, but have you tried connecting the audio portion of the cable box directly to the receiver white routing the video from the HD box to the TV through your current set-up?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by bizwiz41 / June 21, 2010 10:32 AM PDT

The DVI wouldn't carry the audio, but have you tried connecting the audio portion of the cable box directly to the receiver white routing the video from the HD box to the TV through your current set-up?

--HDTech

Hi,

Currently this is how I have the set up configured: DVI Input on TV from cable box, and audio directly from cable box to receiver. This does work, I have basically the same set up for the DVD (Component video to TV input, DVD audio to receiver). What I am really trying to accomplish is use the TV as the input selector for the receiver. Hence, keep the rcvr on "Video 1", and have maintain as I change inputs on the TV (cable, DVD, VCR). For example, right now I cannot route the VCR video through the receiver, only the TV. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to have for those rare occassions.

Also, this saves me on the macros programming for the remotes. I can program the remotes to switch all inputs, but somehow the family finds a way to miss a signal waving the remote around!

Again, Samsung support said the set I had was correct for an external amplifier. Though, it mentions "Variable Output", and there seems to be no function in the set up or menu for this...

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2010 12:47 PM PDT

bizwiz41,

I took a look at the user manual, and it seems to indicate that the monitor out RCA ports can be used as a variable output - which is not the case in most TVs today. I didn't see anything in the manual that would switch this to variable or fixed, either.

As for using different connectivity devices, there are switchboxes and other devices that will allow you to do some of the functionality you're listing, but I don't believe the HT system you have will be that robust where you could avoid programming the macros you want to put in there.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by bizwiz41 / June 21, 2010 9:22 PM PDT

bizwiz41,

I took a look at the user manual, and it seems to indicate that the monitor out RCA ports can be used as a variable output - which is not the case in most TVs today. I didn't see anything in the manual that would switch this to variable or fixed, either.

My problem is that setting up the system, as the user manual illustrates, does not work. I have no idea why, unless there is (or always was!) a problem with the set.

I could understand that the set is always set to Variabel Output, that would actually help in the set up I have now. This set up is in our bedroom, and the receiver volume level is not visible while viewing.

Again, I'm now thinking there is something wrong with the set itself, and perhaps always was an issue.

Collapse -
by bizwiz41 / June 22, 2010 12:36 PM PDT

As some follow up, I did try the set up trying the TV tuner only; I ran cable directly to the TV, and ran audio analog from "Monitor Out" to the audio receiver. I did get sound out of the amplifier, BUT... I got audio out of both the TV & amp, and they were "indpendent". By that I mean, the volumes were independent of each other, the TV volume and amp each gained on their own. I could mix volumes by using each component's remote. Strange...this also happened when the VCR was played through the amp. So, even with just the TV tuner, the audio was neither truly fixed or variable.

It seems the TV speakers should be bypassed, or shut out, and the signal should pass through to the receiver amp.

In short, this doesn't sound right (no pun intended!), I think there has always been something wrong with this aspect of the TV, I just never knew it. I may try another call to Samsung support to see what they come up with for a conclusion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?