General discussion

Samsung HD322HJ and Windows 7 hangups...

Hello everyone, first of all here are my PC specs:

AMD X2 4200+
2GB DDR2 PC-533 Ram
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512MB
Allied 450wat PS with 18amps on 12v rails
Hard Disk one: 250GB Seagate ST325082 4AS SCSI Drive mounted on Master SATA 1 controller
Hard disk two(the problematic one): 320 GB Samsung HD322HJ SCSI drive mounted on SATA 1 controller Slave (was mounted on SATA 2 Slave before)
TSST-corp CD/DVD writer TS-H552L ATA mounted on IDE Channel 1.

Now to the issue at hand:
This pc was originally the HP pavilion a1540n, bought back in 2006. Everything in it was from HP except for the Graphics card, the Power supply and the Samsung Hard Drive.

I was running XP until a few weeks ago when I decided to upgrade to Windows 7. My Windows XP was installed on the original seagate drive, so I decided to install Windows 7 on my newer Samsung drive. The first time I installed Windows 7, it hanged up while doing the step of "Expanding windows files" some where at around 12%.

I restarted and tried again, this time it hanged at 32%, the time after that at 20%... I decided to try a different partition on my old seagate hard disk, and voila, it installed without any problems. I thought that is that.

Unfortunately it was not. Apparently, when I ran Windows7 finally, any time Windows 7 has to WRITE something to my Samsung Hard drive, it hangs my computer entirely (even the num lock stops working), but at random stage of the copying process. However, Windows 7 is happy to read from the hard drive no matter how large the file is.

The first thing that came to my mind was a bad sector. I decided to back everything up and run a surface disk check on my Seagate, NO bad sectors found...

I decided to use spinrite and check the hard disk before windows 7 boots, and it still not bad sectors found in two different tools...

Finally I used an Ubuntu Linux live CD, and lo and behold there are no issues whatsoever when it copies tens of gigabytes worth of data....

I formatted my samsung drive, put it as my sole drive and removed all other drives, tried to install windows 7... it still hung up.

SUMMARY:
So to summaries, it is clearly an issue specific to Windows 7 and my Samsung Hard Disk. The issue is specifically noticed when I try to copy large files to my samsung hard disk under windows 7. Other operating systems including windows XP and Ubuntu have no problems performing the same tasks... my other seagate hard disk DOES NOT exhibit the same hanging up issue... or any other issues for that matter.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Samsung HD322HJ and Windows 7 hangups...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung HD322HJ and Windows 7 hangups...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info