Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Samsung GT-S5600/Galaxy Mini2

by anglia99 / December 31, 2014 6:55 PM PST

When I changed the SIM card for another network provider it is no longer recognised.( Insert SIM error message)

(a) I have tried 4 different cards including the original and they all raise this SIM Missing error message
(b) I have cleaned the PCB pins and they appear OK
(c) I tried the trick of packing out the SIM card with a piece of paper to make a more adhesion with the pins
All of these failed
However before this saga I used Keis to update the firmware which went OK. It wasnt until a few days later when I wanted to change the SIM this error occurred
Also now Keis throws up this error " failed to retrieve device information" when I attempt to get it to talk the the Samsung
The phone works 100% using my Wi-Fi network
I wonder if its possible to uninstall the firware update, trouble is I cant get Keis to talk to it any longer
Help !

anglia99 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung GT-S5600/Galaxy Mini2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung GT-S5600/Galaxy Mini2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by anglia99

Collapse -
This has prior discussions when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2015 12:29 AM PST

It sounds like the phone was locked. TracFone, ATT and others are locked and do what you noted. Too bad we didn't know what carrier you got this from.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung Sim
by anglia99 / January 1, 2015 2:44 AM PST

Firstly I have the model of the phone incorrect it should read "GT-s6500"

The carrier is T mobile in the UK
The problem only manifested itself when I took out the original T Mobile sim and inserted a Virgin sim in order to change the carrier
This was not accepted, so I went back to the original T mobile SIM and now it wont recognise any SIMs I insert

Collapse -
Sadly
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2015 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung Sim

It sounds like it needs repair now. Try a full reset as well as heading to a Tmobile counter to get it back in service.

I don't see any notes online of how to provision this one but the no sim sounds like a hardware failure. Now I don't usually point out or share I've found folk forcing the sim into the wrong socket or direction but try these sims in another phone as a test to see if the sims are OK.
Bob

Collapse -
Update
by anglia99 / January 2, 2015 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Sadly

I had a long conversation with Samsung UK today and the technician had never heard of such a problem.
He has arranged for me to be supplied with a post paid box in a few days so it can be returned to them for investigation.
He said there would be no charge, but I will check on this before I send it back
Its not worth spending £££`s on it

I also spoke to T-Mobile, but as I was at the end of my contract and within the "upgrade" period they would supply me with a new phone.
Trouble is that would start up another 24 month contract and the reason for this SIM change was to get away from EE as the signal locally is very poor

Collapse -
Aha. My bet is the phone was locked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2015 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: Update

That's why I would be testing this sim on another phone. Frankly I cringe when folk tell me they never heard of such a problem. Too easy to find this on Howard's Forums or the web today.

Cell carriers are all over the map on deals, renewels and such but this sounds like a locked phone. You can get many answers about that such as "I don't think it's locked" but having been around the block a few times I'm wondering if it's locked.

There's also bugs galore in these phones. Don't get me started. Next month I'm going with a GSM move but here, it's different than there. Wish me luck.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?