Samsung forum

Question

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 FREEZES

by kaloua3 / February 2, 2015 12:39 AM PST

My tablet is completely frozen in the ON state (screen is lit up). I cannot even turn the power off. Right now I'm letting the battery go down so maybe it will shut off then. Any ideas? I definitely do not want to open the case!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 FREEZES
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 FREEZES
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Samsung Galaxy Tablet s 10.5
by EG47040 / September 29, 2016 9:17 AM PDT

I am having trouble with the Tablet above I sent it in for repair to CVE In New Jersey and I got it back and yet still they say they replaced the battery in it but I don't think they did I just got it back 2 days ago they had it 10 days 9-27-16 goes from 100% to 79 % in less then 20 min now it seems worse then before I sent it in It is looking like I am going to go to Apple I pad They need to fix this issue or they just need to replace those that are having trouble with Model above the Galaxy s 10.5, and be the same size as the one we have now I have no Apps running just maybe Facebook I don't have hardly any downloaded and this just isn't right I have seen lots of People are having the same issues I seen where out of star rating of 5 This tablet and peoples reviews are 1 to 1.5 out of 5

Might have to go to the BBB I don't think it is right to charge 300.00 for something That is messing up and saying they fixed it but I don't think they did..

Collapse -
So yes, Facebook drains the battery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2016 9:24 AM PDT

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Try the usual. Hold the power button till it goes off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2015 12:46 AM PST
Collapse -
Read the post
by kaloua3 / February 2, 2015 3:35 AM PST

I actually said in the post that I could not turn the power off. Save your sarcasm.

Collapse -
Save yourself.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2015 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Read the post

There's a second power off method. I understand this is upsetting but try it anyway. HOLD DOWN THE POWER BUTTON FOR ABOUT A MINUTE.

Go ahead and lash out. I understand these things can be frustrating.
Bob

Collapse -
Power Button
by kaloua3 / February 2, 2015 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: Save yourself.

I don't know any other way to turn the power off than holding the power button down. This thread is a waste of time.

Collapse -
There's more than one duration to the press.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2015 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Power Button

The really short press can send a wake up call.
The medium duration press can power on/off (wait for it.)

There is a really long press to power off when locked up.

Again I understand you are frustrated and understand your postings.
Bob

Collapse -
Power Button Long Press
by kaloua3 / February 2, 2015 5:13 AM PST

Well,my finger went to sleep after 2 minutes, so I put a rubber band on it to hold it down and it finally shut off, but I don't know if it was the button or the unit running out of power, since the screen was on for hours. I cannot get it to restart now, or accept the charger (it should show that it is charging even with unit off). Sounds like I have to send it back. Thanks, anyway.

Collapse -
That's one of the longer presses I've read to date.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2015 5:19 AM PST

I know one system that took exactly 60 seconds. Let's hope it shut down.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
same problem here...
by jsulmeyer / February 6, 2015 4:48 PM PST

Hi - I had the EXACT same thing happen to me the other day - I had left my tab s 10.5 charging and when I returned home I discovered that the screen was on and the tab was unresponsive. I have no idea how long the screen had been on but it could have been anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Pushing and holding the power button did nothing. Eventually the screen did go off and I was somehow able to mess with it until I was able to reboot it. Once it restarted everything was fine until this evening when, again, it was unresponsive with the screen on but luckily it only lasted about a minute this time. Very distressing. Did you happen to have any luck resolving the issue or discovering what may be causing this behavior?

Collapse -
Frozen
by kaloua3 / February 6, 2015 9:17 PM PST
In reply to: same problem here...

I put a rubber band around the unit to push down
the power button and eventually the unit went off.
I don't know if it was the button or the unit just running
out of power. I plugged in the charger and was able to
boot it up again and the problem has not repeated.

Collapse -
glad it's working...
by jsulmeyer / February 7, 2015 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: Frozen

Mine had plenty of juice when the freeze occurred and the power button seems fine. I don't think the power button is the issue, because that would have no bearing on the device being unresponsive to touch, the home and volume buttons, screen rotation, etc. Please follow up via this thread if the problem returns and I'll do the same.

Collapse -
Got it Back On, Now Won't Go Off
by CatNetter / March 27, 2015 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: glad it's working...

Same thing for me. Bought it in August 2014. Worked well until this morning when it was good for five minutes, then froze, then black. Nothing got it back on. Took it to Best Buy where I bought it. They worked on it for 20 minutes, got it back on but now it won't turn off. It has the Android Robot on the screen saying it's downloading and don't touch it. Been six hours on and I'm waiting to get the battery drained. He says then to charge for an hour and try to turn it on.

Can't believe it did this but hope there's an answer other than sending to Samsung as BB says that takes 2-3 weeks. I'm reluctant to try anything like removing the SD card. But I'm horribly impatient. This couldn't have anything to do with Lollipop, could it?

CatNetter

Collapse -
Still a Problem
by kaloua3 / March 27, 2015 9:48 PM PDT

Mine has done this 3 times now. Only solution is the rubber band and wait for it to discharge.......

Collapse -
Tablet Froze Again But BestBuy Thinks They Fixed It
by CatNetter / April 3, 2015 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Still a Problem

My S 10.5 froze again. I took it back to BestBuy. This time they said it would have to go in for repair. Then he asked me if I had been on a specific website. Yes, both times it was CNN. He asked the Geek Squad and they said that particular website is rife with Flash and wild changes and photos loading all the time; and that the browser will crash occasionally while on CNN's website.

We'll see if that is it, but you have to admit, that's creative! They also mentioned ESPN but that CNN was worse. This time, tab froze while on. I left it alone to discharge totally, then plugged in and charged for an hour. Then it turned on just fine. That's when I took it to BB and they opined it was CNN. Tab also updated to 5.0 while I was there. Mercy.

C

Collapse -
(NT) lollipop update is the cause to the freezing
by dvdrider / May 17, 2015 8:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
my samsung galaxy tab s 10.5 feezed to
by dvdrider / May 17, 2015 8:25 PM PDT

Today my tab s freezed for the 1st time after charging. Later during the day it froze again (not during charge).
It rebooted after trying all kind of key pressing combinations.
My Galaxy S4 freezes after each charge.
this happend only after lollipop "upgrade".
During my 40 years of using comuters I can not recall such an horrible "upgrade" of anny thing like lollipop!

Collapse -
Mine too. After the Lollipop update got freeze.
by Prasvirgo / October 2, 2016 9:11 AM PDT

After the android OS update my Samsung Tab S 10.5 frozen. Tried holding the power button for a long time. And then Power + Volume up button. No use. After power draining, when restarted, nothing worked. SAMSUNG is the only word twinkling in the screen. Sad Please help.

Collapse -
Tip: Don't bury pleas for help under long discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2016 9:25 AM PDT

Top post, don't bury.

Yours sounds like it's gone. Get estimates and if OOW (out of warranty) try the old disconnect the battery method.

As this is an old discussion I'll lock it as it's old and long.

Collapse -
Answer
My experience and solution to Galaxy tab 10.5 freeze
by Teebeeteebee / July 22, 2015 6:24 AM PDT

Tablet froze completely two days ago. Now fully working again after the following experience and procedure:

Switched off by holding the on/off and volume down buttons for 10+ seconds.

On switching back on the 'Galaxy S Powered by Android' screen hung for 7 or 8 MINUTES every time.

All icons for apps that were on my SD card showed as 'ghosts' and could not be accessed. The tab would not accept that an SD card was mounted.

Could not connect to Wi-Fi

Factory reset made no difference.

Samsung service Centre and Samsung helpline were useless.

Eventually tried emptying the cache followed by another hard reset and another cache empty, Major improvement. as the Wi-fi connected but still no SD card. Suspected it might be fried by whatever caused the problem. Correct! New SD card fitted, one fully functioning tablet.

Hope this helps anyone who has this problem in future.

Collapse -
Answer
volume down button/ power button this helps!
by FURCHiepoo / December 26, 2015 4:33 PM PST

Hold down the power button and also hold down the volume button (down) at the same time, this should stop the freezing.

Collapse -
Answer
shut off and restart
by formulas7002 / January 16, 2016 8:41 AM PST

Hold down on/off and volume button together until it shuts off. Took mine about 30 seconds. Unit cant have a dead battery for this yo work.

Collapse -
Freezing Problem - Samsung Galaxy TabS 8.4
by agtrains1 / April 5, 2016 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: shut off and restart

Today, was trying to connect my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 to my home wifi network when suddenly, the screen and device completely froze. No other buttons or actions would work.

The suggested remedy of holding down the power button while also holding down the volume down button worked! It took about 20 seconds, the screen went black, and the unit then re-started and booted up just as it always has done. Email, Kindle, and other applications I normally use appear to be working with no secondary freeze ups. Thanks for the tip.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

The most beautiful phone ever has one wildly annoying issue

The Samsung Galaxy S8's fast speeds and fantastic curved screen make it a top phone for 2017, but the annoying fingerprint reader could sour your experience.