Resolved Question

Samsung Galaxy Ace only charges on some USB adaptors. Why?

None of my USB chargers worked on my new phone. So I bought new ones with higher output, but the Galaxy Ace only accepts charge from one - for a Archos 80 G9 Tablet. The tablet trickle charges on 1.5A output from any charger but fast charges from its own USB charger, even though its own charger is still 1.5A. It's own charger - and the only one that the Galaxy Ace charges from - says Efficiency Level V (the V is printed inside a circle).

Can anyone explain all this? And can I get a charger for my car that will meet this standard?

Discussion is locked

markffmullen has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Samsung Galaxy Ace only charges on some USB adaptors. Why?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung Galaxy Ace only charges on some USB adaptors. Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
A buddy in electonics design knew this one.
- Collapse -
(NT) usb charger
- Collapse -
Samsung Galaxy Ace only charges on some USB adaptors.

Thanks for that info. Very useful and informative. I don't think I will be trying the fix you linked to! ~I'll just buy a Samsung branded product.

It's a bit disappointing if the purpose of this is to make you buy the branded product. Even if it trickle charged on other chargers I'd accept. I thought the whole agreement to standardise on the micro usb connector was designed to avoid the hassle of separate chargers for each device. I want to be able to take one usb charging device on holidays and charge all my devices on it. And I want a car usb charger so that I can use the sat nav on the phone. At this rate it will be back to the separate bag of chargers and connectors for all the devices.

My previous phone - Galaxy Europa - happily charged on anything, and apart from a small screen, did everyhting the Ace does. Looks like a step backwards. Are Samsung the only ones doing this?

Thanks again, and sorry about the rant. At least now I know I have to get a Samsung device. Cheers

- Collapse -
That's not the purpose.

I fear you missed why things are like this. If Samsung did allow all chargers to run at full amperage it would eventually have users yelling "Hey Samsung, your device smokes chargers. Except your own!"

Then you would be writing it was forcing you to buy the maker's chargers?

Sorry that I didn't explain this well enough. The USB standard is 500 mA so unless we use some trick to indicate it''s OK to exceed that, we must not.
Bob

- Collapse -
OK. You're right, but...

Yeah. I read your reply. Then later made the reply - and I had distorted things in my head in between. But can't they allow it to charge at 500mA for instance, not accepting the full charge available? This appears to be what my Archos tablet does. If connected to anything but its own USB charger it trickle charges. At least that way you can use it without depleting the battery too quickly.

I have solved my car issue with a standard car charger - as opposed to an adaptor with USB ports. I only relaised that was an option because of your explanation of the USB issue.

Cheers

- Collapse -
Thanks for this.

I think by tossing it back and forth you've come away knowing more than you wanted.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info