Question

Samsung E7000 HDMI (ARC) & Denon 2113Ci ? w Smart Apps Sound

So I made a big purchase the other day. Upgraded my ten year old 42 " Gateway Plasma to the Samsung E7000. I finally can take advantage of HDMI.

Does the HDMI (ARC) push 7.1 or just 2 channel? And how do I setup my Denon 2113 to hear this? I am confused.

Current setup---

Settop Box HDMI out to HDMI 1 Input AVR.
Samsung BLuRay to HDMI 3 input Denon AVR
XBOX to component Input with Assignable Optical Input

HDMI out from AVR to Samsung e7000 HDMI arc.

Problem is, when I use the Smart Apps or All Share with my WD Worldbook or Netflix, or any other app for that matter through the TV, I am not getting sound... I cant figure out how ARC works? How do I set the receiver to hear the arc? And is the HDMI Arc pushing multichannels or just 2 channel?

I really do not want to use a optical fiber.... That defeats the purpose of the ARC.

I am using a Harmony Advance One remote.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Samsung E7000 HDMI (ARC) & Denon 2113Ci ? w Smart Apps Sound
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Samsung E7000 HDMI (ARC) & Denon 2113Ci ? w Smart Apps Sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
My opinion and more.

1. Forget ARC. It's not always implemented and can cause too much hair loss.

2. About the 2 or 7.1. Bear in mind that due to HDCP which is mandated by HDMI you should get 2 channel in almost all content with one notable exception. That is OTA or Over The Air content.

If you want to dig into that, it's that statement about when content can be rendered by a device, then any pass through must be degraded to stereo or standard definition.

Some folk don't know this and think that there is a bug in the devices but it's very simple. That is, this was mandated by the HDMI committees.

Once in awhile you find someone that didn't know this and they lose a lot more hair.
Bob

- Collapse -
Forgot to write about apps.

If you read this forum you find Apps can work sporadically and if an app does not emit sound over anything other than the TV speakers you need to call it in. This does not assure you that they'll fix it but they deserve the calls to hear what folk want.

What I'd like is to see HDCP gone. It's not consumer friendly.
Bob

- Collapse -
Degraded?

Then why is the HDMI connection btw the Bluray and AVR push DTS Digital? Do these standards only apply to a settop box?

So any recommendations?

Oddly, if i use xbox or my WD live tv, sound is DTS. Odd....

ARC is stupid...

- Collapse -
The first question is EASY.

Since the Bluray can not render audio or video then it can pass along (albeit HDCP protected) HiDef content.

The setup box abides by the same rules. Since it has no display or speakers, it may put out HD content.

And again, your WD and XBox can send out HD content as they don't render either.

-> There are a few sets that pass HD content over optical but the more you get into this you know not to count on it since HDCP is a consumer's worst idea.

ARC was a great idea. Too bad it doesn't work all that time plus we have those HDCP rules.
Bob

CNET Forums