HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

Question

Samsung DLP White Dots?

by clex1 / April 20, 2011 8:56 PM PDT

HD Tech

I don't know if you still post on here but I found this forum last night and after I called 1-800-Samsung and got the run around like many have saying my model isn't on the Samsung recall list, I'm turning to you in hopes maybe you could help me out as well.

I bought a DLP in 2007, and abount 2 months ago, I started noticing a couple of white dots. Now, I have about 60 white dots and it looks as though I'm staring at the stars at night. Please help me, if you can. I was told by the rep I would have to pay for repairs myself but just doesn't seem fair that it's a defect chip on Samsungs part.

Model #HLT5076SX/XAA
VERSION PH01

Thanks,
clex1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung DLP White Dots?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung DLP White Dots?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung DLP White Dots?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 26, 2011 4:33 AM PDT

clex1,

Collapse -
I got the white dots too HL-T5076S
by GoldieATX / April 26, 2011 5:05 AM PDT

About 6 weeks ago, I saw the first couple of white dots on my HL-T5076S (Purchased September 2007). It has, as in all other cases, progressed pretty agressively, and I now have a couple hundred dots (hard to ignore at this point). When they first started showing up, I called Samsung and was told my model was not on the list of those covered for out-of-warranty repair.

My transaction number (if I wrote it down correctly) is 2013148803. My next step was going to be calling the ESR line to see if they could do anything for me (I read that somewhere). Is that the right direction to go with this? Can you escalate this for me at all? Do you need photos or any other information from me?

I'm obviously not the only one in this frustrating situation. I bought a Samsung DLP for the reliability of the brand and because I could count on an extended TV life with a bulb replacement every few years. Talk about a disappointment. Friends' LCDs and Plasmas bought at the same time are still going strong.

Thanks for any help!

Collapse -
Re: I got the white dots too HL-T5076S
by GoldieATX / April 26, 2011 6:12 AM PDT

Ah I didn't follow directions. I'm in the US.

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung DLP White Dots - I got some help from the ESR team
by clex1 / April 26, 2011 12:06 PM PDT

HD Tech

Thanks for replying to my post. I actually ended up getting in contact with the ESR department at Samsung and spoke to someone who helped me out tremendously. Samsung is going to pay for the defective chip. They made me an appt with a local repairman and they diagnosed it as the chip that was defective. They have ordered the part and am just waiting for it to come in and be replaced. I will keep you informed on the progress but it looks good so far.

Collapse -
Samsung DLP White Dots - I got some help from the ESR team
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 27, 2011 1:39 AM PDT

clex1,

Collapse -
White dots fixed
by GoldieATX / May 9, 2011 3:14 AM PDT

I also got help from the ESR line. I had to go back and forth on it for a few minutes, but eventually they agreed to replace the defective chip for free if a local service rep confirmed that was the problem (even though the 50" model isn't yet on the official out-of-warranty replacement list). I sent a photo in an email to the local shop which satisfied the diagnostic step, and they sent someone out to repair it within a few days. TV is good as new now, though unless Samsung updated their manufacturing, I expect to see the same problem in another 2-3 years. The service guy said it would be about a $350 job if Samsung wasn't covering it.

So, in conclusion, if someone else is seeing this problem (as I'm sure many are/will), give the Executive Service line a call: 800-522-7341.

Collapse -
Samsung DLP White Dots-FIXED
by clex1 / May 10, 2011 11:25 AM PDT

HD Tech

I got in touch as I said with the ESR Dept. and the local repairman came out and fixed my tv with replacing the bad chip with a new one and it looks as good as new. I just wanted to let you know the problem has been fixed and thankfully Samsung understood the issue and had it replaced for free.

Thanks
Clex1

Collapse -
white dots started
by wordenbe / May 10, 2011 12:33 PM PDT

I saw my first white dot this weekend and a second just appeared tonight. From reading these posts I can guess that it's only going to get worse and quickly. Are there any time saving recommendations from anyone that will help me get the assistance I need from Samsung and avoid coming out of pocket for this repair? Thanks so much for the help! Ben

Collapse -
re: white dots started
by GoldieATX / May 10, 2011 4:30 PM PDT
In reply to: white dots started

Sorry to hear it, Ben. But it seems inevitable if you have one of these TVs. I don't know which models are supported. Mine is a HLT5076S (50" DLP) that I bought in Sept 2007. The dots started spreading and I knew with a little research what was happening. They marched pretty steadily across the screen, and once I couldn't really look past them and ignore them anymore (~6 weeks), I called up the ESR line (after having no success with the basic support line). They hooked me right up, and my TV was fixed within a week for free. So the best thing you can do is call the Executive Support Rep, making sure to have your model number and serial number available. You'll also need a photo for the local shop to check the diagnosis off. But then it just comes down to scheduling (or at least, it did for me). As soon as they were able to come to my home, they did, and the fix was complete in under 30 mins. I consider this a win for Samsung in my book--they recognized a defective part and offered to replace it out-of-warranty when it started affecting my user experience. I certainly wouldn't cross Samsung off my shopping list if I were in the market for a new TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.