Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung DLP Shuts off after 20-30 minutes then cycle power

by DLP TV / March 9, 2009 7:08 AM PDT

13 months old Samsung DLP HL-T6156WX/XAA shuts off after 20-30 minutes (initial) then turns it self back on then off then on (1-2 minutes in between). It looks to me when it gets a ittle warm or hot then it turns off then back on when it cools down some. Both fans inside the TV spin freely without any noise or grinding. One thing I noticed is that When placing an external fan gently blowing toward the power supply side the TV works for hours. Does anyone have any ideas (i.e power supply, ballast, color wheel, ??) . I have already changed the lamp ( and rest the timer) with same results.

Quick Help Is much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung DLP Shuts off after 20-30 minutes then cycle power
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung DLP Shuts off after 20-30 minutes then cycle power
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 16, 2009 2:43 PM PDT

DLP TV,

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, register your product online. It gives you an additional 3 months coverage on your warranty. Happy Take advantage of that additional benefit for registering.

Second, the fans may be working, but do you have proper ventilation? Often times the unit is pushed up against the wall, or the back of the cabinet and pulling it out a little sometimes seems to do the trick to get the air movement going.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by DLP TV / March 16, 2009 10:39 PM PDT

HDTech

Thanks for your reply and thanks for the info about the 3 extra months as I was not aware of that.

As far as ventillation, the unit sets on a stand the is about 5 inches away from the wall nothing on the sides or infront of the TV.

I'm an electrical engineer and I do know my way very well around circuit boards and electronics, I took the back cover of the TV off and clean both fans and inside the TV (using compressed air) from any dust build-up (there was not enough to block the airflow). put the cover back on (confirmed the interlock switch is in the correct position for the lamp door) then tested teh TV, 25 minutes later same thing it powered Off then on , then off, ... (all lights on the the fron panel acting normal per the manual).

this leaves me to come to the conclusion its one of two thing (power supply board or ballast board solder failure problem so when external fan is used it produces enough cooling to prevent solder from expanding and causing this anomaly.

For now I will try to get the extended 3 month warranty by registering online. if that did not work then I'll be replacing the 2 parts I mentioned above.

Please let me know if you can think of any thing else that may help.

I will try to post further development with this analysis.

thanks again.

Collapse -
by DLP TV / May 18, 2009 4:06 AM PDT

After performing my own diagnostics, I fixed my TV.

Happy

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 18, 2009 9:34 AM PDT

DLP TV,

What was the culprit?

--HDTech

Collapse -
DLP shuts off
by truckertheo3 / May 18, 2012 10:27 AM PDT

I have a #HL-T5156WX/XAA.It has started to shut off and then come back.This new as of tonight.I already have a problem with white spots that Samsung won't help with.What can the shut off problem be?? Thanks for any help Ted

Collapse -
Samsung 46b750 power cycling after
by atuccio / December 19, 2009 3:06 AM PST

How did you get your TV Fixed.
I have had 2 46b750 and they both have the same problem.

Collapse -
samsung HL-S5668w shutsdown after 15 minutes
by hands149 / October 13, 2016 6:48 AM PDT

Could you possibly share what fixed your TV. Thank you

Collapse -
No help from Samsung
by dogdaysman / February 7, 2010 3:30 AM PST

I bought a Samsung 56 inch DLP (model HLN567wx) in September 2003. I also purchased an extended warranty. Total cost for TV, warranty and tax was $5000. The TV was in storage for 6 months and in less than a year after that the color wheel had to be replaced. The TV worked fine for awhile and I really enjoyed it. Then around the time the extended warranty expired, it started to have the problems people have been mentioning - turning on and off, requiring power recycling, etc. Turning on but no picture, distorted picture, etc.

I started contacting Samsung in September 2009. They refused to be of any help since it was out of warranty. My research had led me to believe that there was a design or parts reliability problem since a tech had said that they received reports of problems with this TV on a daily basis from unhappy customers.

Samsung bounced be around between the customer relations group and the executive customer relations group. No one ever admitted a systemic problem with the TV or offered to help pay for the repair (contrary to what I have experienced with GE and other more reputable manufacturers who were willing to offer some assistance even if the appliance was out of warranty - I guess they actually care about customer relations).

After speaking with several techs I dumped the TV. Later I found out that the TV had been the subject of two recalls by Samsung - the problem was either the light engine or the DSP board. Of course, no one I spoke to at Samsung could bother to tell me this during the 3-4 months I was speaking with them.

I doubt if I will ever buy a Samsung product again.

Collapse -
samsung 56 inch dlp 2003
by nadsmia / February 25, 2010 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: No help from Samsung

I had my light engine go out and they told me over the phone they had 0 recalls did you get any info on the recalls please they want to charge me $1,000 for the part plus tv repair hours. I am told a class action suit against mitsubi.. caused them to pay for all parts for free. Maybe we can get this to happen against Samsung but do you have any recalls?

Collapse -
samsung tv ont turn on
by mackeywm / March 17, 2009 12:42 PM PDT

just like others my tv clicks start=up light blinks on and off.if all these people have same problen what will fix it ?

Collapse -
Samsung HL-T5076S
by lilback / July 11, 2009 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: samsung tv ont turn on

Not sure if you can help but my Samsung HL-T5076S HDTV DLP has a similarly problem.

When you turn it on the stand by/temp light blink on and off. I get no picture or sound. My set is two year and couple month old.

I have change the bulb and get the same problem. Authorized factory service center could not fine anything wrong, but when it was return back to me it work for one day and the problem came back.

I would like to know more about any fix you may have.

Regards,
lilback

Collapse -
Samsung HL-T5076S
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 12, 2009 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung HL-T5076S

lilback,

A service technician would be better able to diagnose it, moreso than me, even. There is a protection in that model that when the temperature exceeds, the unit shuts off. You might check to make sure that your fans are working. Other possibilities include the ballast, or an issue with the mainboard. Without looking, it's just too difficult to diagnose.

If you paid for your technician, I would suggest calling him back and having him make it right. Shutting off after 30 minutes is not considered "normal operation".

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung HL-T5076S
by lilback / July 13, 2009 9:01 AM PDT

Thanks,

I was not charge for there service, because it was not fix, it just work the next time it was turn on. Still dead in the water. No picture
or sound. $1600 gone down the drain. This really look bad for Samsung.
Don't think I will go there again. Got to do something before football
season start. Lesson learn.

Again
Thanks,

Collapse -
ballast for the samsung 5076s
by kevingrizzle / February 26, 2010 5:53 AM PST

i had a power surge but the tv continued to work . the next day no picture or sound. was told it could be the ballast. what do you think. and if it is the ballast were can i get one? i have seen different ones but dont know exactly which one i need.

Collapse -
Corect part?
by fred14va / October 20, 2009 8:35 AM PDT

I have read through the thread.. I have a Samsung HLT5076S, to replace the power board.. do I need the SMPS board? And will that fix my problem like the others with the capacitors causing the TV to shut on/off. I was told that is the correct part I needed for my particular TV

Collapse -
What happened to the thread
by zeronyne / January 19, 2010 2:55 PM PST
In reply to: Corect part?

Hey Samsung Tech,

What happened to the 40 page thread on this issue? Did you delete it?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!