Samsung forum

Question

Samsung DLP HL-S4676S crackling & popping noise after repair

by silvanet / June 1, 2013 5:32 AM PDT

The only problem I had with my TV was white spots starting to develop & spread all over screen. I called Samsung & they offered to replace my chip for free. So I was surprised and happy.

The technician did the work while I was watching. He had some trouble removing a card from its metal casing and had to bend the metal & use some obvious force to remove it. He showed me the old chip & replaced it with a new one.

When he turned the tv back on it was as if I had bought a brand new tv. Everything was absolutely perfect.

Let me say that I have NEVER had any problem with the sound on my tv. It always has performed with excellent surround sound as clear as can be - absolutely phenomenal.

I began noticing some strange changes in the quality of the sound almost immediately, but ignored it thinking it was probably from the transmission end. However, this soon started to continue and began to include small static & sort of popping noises.

I thought it might be my connectors, so I checked everything. I often stream from my computer via hdmi, so I checked that cable & all the connections. I connected the computer to another tv source and there was no problem at all with sound quality, so I don't think it has anything to do with my sound card or anything on the computer. I disconnected the computer completely and noticed that the crackling & popping was coming from the tv. It began getting worse and louder, and in less than a week was unbearable. Now it gets super loud and after a while the sound cuts out altogether. When I leave the tv off for a while and turn it back on I can get sound again, but it quickly deteriorates to the crackling & popping.

I'd hate for Samsung to tell me that this is my problem. I repeat, NEVER had any problem at all. In fact, everyone has always praised the tv's excellent sound quality. I've got to believe that something the technician did loosened or disrupted something that is causing that.

Do I have any recourse from Samsung? Will you guys stand behind your technicians' work. I am totally convinced that this is not just something that by coincidence went wrong after the repair. please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung DLP HL-S4676S crackling & popping noise after repair
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung DLP HL-S4676S crackling & popping noise after repair
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung DLP HL-S4676S crackling & popping noise after re
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 4, 2013 4:31 AM PDT

Hi silvanet,

I apologize for your experience thus far. If you could post your transaction number, I'd like to see if we can investigate this issue for you.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Transaction Number
by silvanet / June 4, 2013 11:23 PM PDT

4119151551 was my original number before repair.
I first called the service representative. They told me to call Samsung.

I called and spoke with someone at Samsung who was very nice & wanted to help. She listened to the crackling & popping and to my complaint and thought perhaps Samsung could talk to the service representative about perhaps some discount on the follow-up service. She created new transaction number 5105876888, but then transferred me to someone at customer support who was absolutely negative on any notion of providing help, suggesting my only recourse was to deal with the service representative and ask them about their "bench warranty" for their work. She refused to make any contact with the service representative on my behalf.

I called the service representative. Their answer was that "bench warranty" only covered the repair originally done (which was replacement of the chip), and since that was done and the white spots went away, they were not responsible for any subsequent problem. They even claimed that I waited too long (two weeks) to complain. They were closed for the weekend when I tried to call them on Friday, and I tried every other possible line of solving the problem before I called. They told me they would look into a possible solution with maybe a reduced rate service call, but nearly a week has passed without the promised call back.

I have never had any problem with my dlp. I love it and it has always had fantastic sound. Having seen the service tech use considerable force to remove the circuit board to replace the chip, I don't think it is irrational to believe that he may have damaged some soldered connection. The crackling & popping only occurs as the tv warms up. It then intensifies until the sound just dies. Upon cooling a bit, turning it back on it is again fine and the same symptom cycle occurs. Heating & cooling - expansion & contraction of soldering connections - sounds very logical to me.

I'm not trying to get something for nothing. I'm willing to pay a reasonable price. So far, the attitude of everyone (except the initial Samsung representative) has been positively disgusting - passing the buck and claiming no responsibility & trying to tell me it was just a coincidence the sound went bad after the repair.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?