Cameras forum

Resolved Question

Samsung Digimax L55W Flash

by EdwinReffell / September 23, 2013 5:28 PM PDT

Please would someone tell me how to get the Samsung Digimax L55W flash turned off until I want to take a photo with flash? I have gone to the menu and turned off Auto and got the flash off symbol and the photo I took immediately afterwards had no flash. However the next photo I took a few minutes later had a flash. Do I have to set it for flash off every time I do not want to use flash? I do not want to have the flash work except when I want to take a picture with flash because it wears out the battery. Is the default set with flash? How do I set the camera to function normally without flash? Thank you for helping.

EdwinReffell has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Digimax L55W Flash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Digimax L55W Flash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by EdwinReffell

Collapse -
Samsung L55W
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 7:08 AM PDT

Look in User's Manual
Page 11
Locate the 5-function switch
Locate the lightening bolt switch on the 5 function switch.
Press it to see Flash options.

Page 37/38
Most people select Auto Flash.
..the camera decides if flash is needed automatically.
If you want to turn off the flash choose OFF.

Collapse -
Samsung L55W flash reply to snapshot2
by EdwinReffell / September 24, 2013 5:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung L55W

I have done this but cannot find the way to put OK so the Auto Flash is turned back on again directly after I have put it off. I do not want Auto Flash. Thank you if you would tell me how to put OK so the Auto Flash is off until I change it.

Collapse -
Flash
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 25, 2013 12:11 AM PDT

According to the chart at the bottom of page 38' if you have seleceted the flash to be off, it will stay "off" unless you have set the "MODE" to "Backlit" or "Beach/Snow".
(see bottom of page 12 for meaning of those symbols).

See pages 23/25 to see how to change MODEs.

General Information:

Backlit is for situations when you take a picture and the sun if behind the subject.
Without the flash in a backlit situation your subject will be dark.
It is best to avoid backlit situations.

Beach/Snow is for when you are taking pictures on the beach or in snow.

Collapse -
Initialize
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 25, 2013 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Flash

If the above does not fix the problem, it is possible you have inadvertently set something that is causing the problem.

I suggest you reset the camera to factory settings.
This is show in the bottom half of page 105 under the title of "Initialization".

Collapse -
Reply to Initialize
by EdwinReffell / September 25, 2013 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Initialize

I believe I have reset to factory settings. The language on my camera is Swedish and I have not been able to change it to English. As well as that the options on my camera are not the same as the ones given in the Swedish or English manual. There is no Reset option. I pressed Format and hope that resets to factory settings. The flash is set on Auto and Red Eye Reduction. I do not want that but Flash Off. After changing Auto to Off I need to put OK. If I press the Left or the Right or Up button the Auto is put back on. I want it off and have selected Off but for Auto to be off I need to put OK. I have found nothing in the manual to explain how to do that.

Collapse -
Next stop, the CNET Samsung Forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2013 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Initialize

Even if the Ambassador doesn't know, he usually can direct you to your country's support.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply to initialize
by EdwinReffell / September 25, 2013 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Initialize

Now I have managed to change the language to English and come to Mode Set where it says Still & Movie. Is that all right or should I chose Full or some other option? It says Auto, Program and Movie On, Night and Portrait Off. I have moved the Auto to Off and pressed the OK/Menu button but now it says Auto On again. I did Change and it says Auto Off and Set OK which I have done and again it says Auto On. How do I get it to stay Off when I have changed it? Beach & Snow is Off, Backlight is Off as also are Dawn, Sunset and Fireworks but no matter what I do Auto is On.

Collapse -
I still need help
by EdwinReffell / September 25, 2013 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung L55W

I cannot reply the way I want. This reply was helpful but the problem has not been solved. I still need help. Since I have discovered to change the language to English it is easier for me to follow your suggestions. The big problem is that after changing Auto On to Auto Off and pressing the Menu/OK button it changes back to Auto On again.

Collapse -
Explaination
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 25, 2013 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: I still need help

It is not necessary to say OK when you set the Flash to OFF.
When set to OFF it will stay that way.
However, if your turn the camera OFF the Flash setting will change back to ON.

That is the normal function.

If you are wanting the flash to be OFF after turning off/on the camera,
I don't think you can do that.

I suggest you contact Samsung service.
Or you can post your question on the Samsung Forum:

http://forums.cnet.com/samsung-forum/?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Collapse -
Going to Samsung Forum so thread can be closed
by EdwinReffell / September 25, 2013 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Explaination

Thank you everyone for all your answers. I have put the question on whether I have to turn off the flash function every time I restart the camera to the Samsung forum. Therefore this thread can be closed.

Collapse -
Same issue with my other camera.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2013 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Explaination

It does not save that setting if I power down.

Looks normal to me.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!