Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung "content" feature on LN52A750

by orrenb / June 28, 2008 3:13 AM PDT

The content feature is pretty slick... I downloaded some new content from the samsung site (http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/learningresources/tv/contents_lib/introduction.html) but can't figure out how to make it display from the content screen. I previously installed some free stuff from galleryplayer and the 10 free pictures display just fine... but when I try to add the stuff from samsung it only displays the 1st picture, then black screens. All the pictures seem to go into a folder called SEC_GALLERY on the thumb drive but I don't understand how to have them show up in the USB directory on the gallery/usb screen on the 750. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung "content" feature on LN52A750
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung "content" feature on LN52A750
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't click on the exe on your computer..
by Mr__S / August 18, 2008 4:03 AM PDT

Orrenb -

Glad you like the content feature.

It should be a simple process to get the content on the TV. You just download the exe file to a thumb drive and plug it into the TV.

It sounds like you are double clicking on the exe file once its on your computer and then putting all those files on a thumb drive. The TV will unzip or execute that one file you download.

Let me know if that works.

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Samsung "Content" Don't click on the exe on your computer.
by orrenb / August 18, 2008 7:55 AM PDT

You are right... I did unpack the 2 exe files... but the exe files were also on the thumb drive.... I deleted the directory that was created on the thumb drive and then put it back into the TV.... When I click on the red button (USB) it comes up with a "no file" message... when I click the red button again (TV memory) it shows all the stuff built into the TV... There is other stuff on the thumb drive... ie pictures and music that does work on the TV...

Any further suggestions? OB

Collapse -
gotcha
by Mr__S / August 20, 2008 2:53 PM PDT

OB.

I think I understand your problem now.

There are two features on this TV that incorporate the thumb drive.

One is called WiseLink Pro, which allows you to view pictures, music and video (your own content) off of your thumbdrive.

The other is the content library on your thumbdrive.

When you insert your drive into the USB port, you get a prompt asking if you?d like to look at the drive using WiseLink Pro to scan for pictures music and video. If it?s your own content, you?d click ?Yes?. If you want to use the Content Library, you?d click ?No? and then navigate to your content library and click on the red button to access the Samsung downloaded content there.

I?m not sure exactly how it works if you have both kinds of content on there (Samsung?s Content and Your Content). I imagine that they could co-exist, but getting your own pictures into the content library will not work. They must be shown via WiseLink.

did this work?

Collapse -
RE:
by koshia / September 6, 2008 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: gotcha

I'm sorry to jump into this post, but I am playing with this as well and it seems that the downloaded executable files are not being read by the TV. I have to extract it on the computer and put the content on the thumb drive in order for the TV to play the contents.

Collapse -
Samsung "content" feature
by orrenb / September 14, 2008 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: gotcha

I was able to get the content to display if I put the .exe file on the thumb drive all by itself and run it and then delete the .exe file. I could also add additional files from a different file which I downloaded to my laptop and then moved the content pictures to the directory on the thumb drive. I havn't tried putting anything else on the thumb drive with it yet....

Collapse -
Samsung Content Library
by DonDurbin / December 14, 2009 10:27 PM PST

I have a Samsung LN52B750.

From the TV I see a game called Checkmate from Borazone that can be downloaded and it has a size of 35 megabytes. I tried to download it and I get an error saying there is not enough free memory. I had around 48 megabytes free from what it said on the screen. I deleted the children story and now have 59 megabyte but the checkmate download still says not enough memory.

I downloaded the marine art work to a thumb drive and it plays fine. From that download page I cannot find the checkmate game to download it to a thumb drive. I do not see any games including the wisestar game that was included on the stock content.

Why doesn't the download page show the games that the TV says you can download? Why can't I download a game if the system says I have the space? Why can't I save the current content to a thumb drive so I can restore it? Why isn't the wisestar game shown in the TV downloadable content?

Thanks

Collapse -
how (in fact, where) to put content on your usb thumb drive
by unink / December 6, 2008 10:52 PM PST

Hi there,

I just bought a LE40A756R (european model) and your hints have been very helpful to me since I couldn't find any useful hint on the samsung.com pages, thanks a lot.

After playing around with the content feature I found out the following hopefully helpful hints that might also work for the LN52A750:

- Following folders should be at root level of your thumb drive: SEC_CHILD, SEC_COOK, SEC_FITNESS, and SEC_GALLERY.

- SEC_GAME does not seem to be supported.

- The contents that I downloaded from samsung.com have to be executed, which results in extracting some files. Normally, one of the folders given above should be created (if not alread existing).

- You don't need the downloaded .exe-file on your thumb drive, the TV won't use or even recognize it. So, delete it after having extracted the contained files.

- For child, cooking, and fitness more than one content may be placed into SEC_CHIL, SEC_COOK, and SEC_FITNESS respectively (each content contains a shockwave flash file as well as a subfolder with more shockwave flash files controlled by the first one). Works just fine.

- Unfortunately, GAL_ART1_A1EN does not create a subfolder. So, you have to move the extracted files to SEC_GALLERY by yourself.

- GAL_ANI1_A1EN, GAL_ART1_A1EN and GAL_SEA_A1EN all share the same music file. So, you can merge all the pictures in SEC_GALLERY without further subfolders, but you only need one of the music files.

- Unfortunately, after having played some pictures the screen goes blank while the music continues. Don't know why.

- I'm not sure if SEC_GALLERY supports more than one music file, didn't test that one. Anyway, since gallery content mixes .sec-files (don't know this file format, most probably some container for an image) and a .wav-file (the background music) there is no coordinating element. So, if it works, the pictures and music will be played independently, but not correspondingly (meaning, that the music for animals might still be playing while the pictures of sea life have already started).

I would like to find more description on this topic at samsung.com and the manual.

The download pages need mending, too. I have had some trouble downloading the contents (those javascript functions wouldn't run properly in my Firefox browser).

Greetings,
Udo.

Collapse -
USB Content on European 7 Series Models
by sab999 / December 7, 2008 2:58 AM PST

I too have a European model series 7 LE40A756 and have the same USB drive problems with extra content. SEC_GALLERY extra content will only allow one set of picture content at one time and as with all extra content the .exe files must be expanded first before plugging the USB drive into the TV. No ammount of playing with the files, folder names or associated music file will allow more than one set of expanded gallery contents to work at one time.

Also the SEC_GAME content just does not work at all with the European models. The TV just cannot see the content at all. I raised the SEC_GAME content issue with Nurisam and they say that their content is only for North American model TV's (LN models) at the moment. I raised both the issues with Samsung as the website says all content should work, but the manual with the TV is ambiguous. Their first response was written by someone who could not write English which didn't help! They fobbed me off with a "please read the manual" one line response. So I asked again and have been referred to "MANAGEMENT" for a response.

In my opinion this is probably a firmware issue and it is likely that Samsung / Nurisam perhaps don't have the full rights to sell the SEC_GAME content outside North America yet. BUT, the last thing European model owners should do is try to update with North American firmware as this will probably kill the TV altogether. UNLESS someone has tried this successfully already?? If I get a response (not holding my breath) I will post back the reply. Until then it is Bowling and Minimini Cook only, if you live in Europe, my kids are not happy! So it is Wii time at Christmas.

Collapse -
A better understanding of this whole feature is needed...
by Powerstroke2000 / January 31, 2009 4:11 AM PST

With this "New Content Library" feature being available via the net, perhaps a Samsung representative could perhaps give a proper explanation on how this whole downloading process should be executed, right up until it is playing on our televisions.
He/She has to remember that many of us are newbies to this process, and perhaps explain it as if it is a process given to a newbie generally.
Does the USB drive have to be empty prior to downloading these files?
The way it's written, one would think you would download the files from Samsung.com put your USB thumb drive into the tv slot, and everything should work...but that doesn't appear to be the correct way for this to work?

Perhaps starting with #1 and onward, giving a numbered sequence to each and every move forward to getting this option working would enhance this process for everyone involved. For those reading this forum on going through this process, I think most of us would be somewhat perplexed at getting this working, so more help is needed for it to be a comfortable process.

Thanks in advance to those able to whittle down and explain the process completely.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?